RiderForums.com - Kawasaki Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 353 Posts

·
Registered
1,251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
This is a FAQ for Power Commander, Autotune, LCD and some info on the Juice Box Pro.

I would like to start off by thanking XPyron for getting me going on this topic, without his help this probably wouldn't be here.

If you have questions and they where not answered here, ASK and I'll update the topic to include your question with the best answer possible.
If you have an opinion of these products that isn't represented here, Please contribute! I can't possibly think of all scenarios.

I will not be answering questions about other brand fuel controllers! I don't have experience with the others and don't feel I can give a fair representation of their products.

Dynojet has been the leader in tuning of carburetors and engines for as long as I can remember, so that is what I chose.
Two Brothers Juice Box Pro is only being mentioned because it uses Dynojets maps for Power Commander V.

I am just a hobbyist, I am not affiliated with any manufacture or retailer.
Please remember some of what you read here is just an opinion based on facts taken from the manufactures websites, instructions and personal experience.

Certain words are going to be used repeatedly so for reference these will be their abbreviations.

PCV = Power Commander V w/Fuel and Ignition
PC3 = Power Commander iii (outdated technology)
JBP = Juice Box Pro
AT = Autotune, Dynojets add on for PCV
LCD = Dynojet's LCD screen add on for PCV
DJ = Dynojet
TB = Two Brothers
AFR = Air Fuel Ratio

@ The newest updates to each post will have a @ in front of the updated information.

·
Registered
1,251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 · (Edited)
Two Brothers Juice Box Pro

Two Brothers Juice Box Pro

Two Brothers Racing JUICE BOX™ PRO - Premium Fuel Controller
Juice Box Pro adds performance with map storage, computer optional full customization and the ultimate in PC-based tuning capabilities to the proven Juice Box fuel management platform. Two Brothers Racing, continually dedicated to Top Level Performance, dials in Fuel Injection performance like never before with the Juice Box Pro. Offering memory capacity for up to 10 fully custom fuel maps and virtually limitless tuning potential, the Juice Box Pro revolutionizes the plug-and-tune category of performance electronics.​

Custom-Designed Fuel Mapping
Juice Box Pro is the only fuel management interface to offer preloaded, dyno tested bike-specific mapping and the ability to fully customize and build your own Power Maps via computer in a simple to- install, user-friendly component. Through TBR’s Direct Injector Control, the fuel circuits on current sport bikes can be modified both richer and leaner than stock as much as -100% to +250% in any particular area of the power spread with the Juice Box Pro. Also, up to 10 pre-programmed TBR Power Maps (custom made and dyno tested for each Two Brothers Racing exhaust system) are adjustable to your preference. Riders can literally select between a TBR Power Map, custom-built maps, or even fine tune low, mid or high rpm ranges while sitting on the bike and without plugging in to a computer. Standard +/- 10% increments from selected map settings, different ranges are available using the supplied Top Tune software.​

Computing Power
For racers and riders looking for the ultimate in precise adjustment and fuel map customization and creation, Two Brothers Racing’s Top Tune software allows PC-based Power Map creation at 250-rpm increments and 10 different throttle positions. Modification parameters vary upon make and model of machine and fuel changes made in these increments are automatically interpolated between the rpm and throttle position ranges ensuring a smooth final power curve./span> Users can load up to 10 of their personally built Power Maps into the Juice Box Pro and select between them while in the saddle— eliminating the need to “re-boot” with the computer every time a new map is desired.

» Uses OEM style connectors and high quality wiring harnesses.
» Small, Lightweight and Easy-to-Fit on the bike
» Pre-programmed with TBR Power Maps specific to make, model and style of TBR Exhaust and/or TBR Pro Filter
» No computer necessary for Top Level fuel management
» Fully adjustable computer compatibility for ultimate tuning and personalization
» Software is compatible with Power Commander, so you can download Power Commander maps to the Juice Box Pro​

JBP PART NUMBERS

Kawasaki Ninja 650r (2006-11) Part Number: 001-142

Kawasaki Ninja 650 (2012-13) Part Number: 001-318​

JBP INSTRUCTIONS

JBP MAPS

JBP SOFTWARE

JBP VIDEOS

How to install a TB map in TB software.

How to install a PCV map in TB software. Sorry only allowed one video per post.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ev7ygurzDmU

TIP: Read in the PCV section question one for install tips.

1) What is the difference between JBP and PCV?

A) The TB's JBP is basically an updated version of DJ's outdated PC3. It uses maps created by DJ for the PCV but it ignores the timing advance information.
The JBP comes with maps preinstalled for your bike.
It can hold 10 maps on board instead of 2.
It is the cheaper of the 2.
No computer needed to make adjustments.

The downside to this product is:
It does not advance timing even if the information is in the map.
No current upgrade or accessories.
To make adjustments to current maps is just a guessing game with out buying other expensive equiptment such as an O2 sensor and AFR gauge or DJ's Wide Band 2
Buying these things you just lost your savings to have inferior products. A JBP and Wideband2 would cost $500 and you would have to make adjustments manually and ride, make adjustments, repeat till you get the desired AFR.
PCV and AT is $496 (search or PM me) and does everything automatically.​

2) Who should get JBP instead of PCV?

A) Stock bike, stock exhaust and air filter with no plans on future tunning or upgrades. Also a bike with aftermarket exhaust that has map available for download form TB or DJ. I mean the same setup as your bike not just close.​

3) Do you have anything against TB or JBP?

A) NO! I have a TB pipe with no complaints. I think the only real world (not just on paper) advantage to JBP is price.​

4) Does TB have support for Ninja models with an O2 sensor?

A) No, Officially TB does not have support for models with an O2 sensor. I have talked with them and their response was it was never intended to be sold in those markets. How ever there is 2 way s to make it work.

1, leave the O2 sensor in place and change the fuel maps to all zero's at 5250rpm's and below. Because the stock O2 sensor is the narrow band type it will not be able to cope with big changes like aftermarket exhausts and air filters or air box modifications.

2, remove the O2 sensor and install DJ part# 76423007 O2 sensor eliminator in it's place. This will allow you to use the maps as they where intended.​

5) I don't see maps for the years 11-13 on the maps page, what maps should I use?

A) For the year 11 you can use the 06-10 maps or you can download maps for the appropriate year from DJ. For 12-13 years you should use maps from DJ, make sure to use one's that match your setup as close as possible.​

·
Registered
1,251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Power Commander V W/Fuel and Ignition.

Power Commander V W/Fuel and Ignition.

Power Commander V Product Introduction

The New Power Commander V is loaded with tons of new features. Below you will find some Power Commander V features.

Reduced size from PCIIIusb (less than half of the size of PCIII)
USB powered from computer (9 volt adapter is no longer needed for programming)
2 position map switching function built in (map switch not included)
Gear input (allows for map adjustment based on gear and speed)
Analog input (allows user to install any 0-5 volt sensor and build an adjustment table based on its input such as boost or temperature)
With gear position input connected the PCV is capable of allowing each cylinder to be mapped individually and for each gear (for example: on a 4 cylinder bike with a six speed transmission there could be up to 24 separate fuel tables).
Unit has a -100/+250% fuel change range (up from -100/+100%). This allows more adjustment range for 8 injector sportbikes
10 throttle position columns (up from 9 on PCIIIusb)
Enhanced “accel pump” utility (increased adjustment and sensitivity ranges)​

NEW Power Commander V w/ Built in Ignition Control

On select models, gain control over fuel delivery AND timing with the new Power Commander V with fuel and ignition control. The best of both worlds, now you can realize all the benefits of the Power Commander V and the Ignition Module 5 wrapped in a single enclosure. This Power Commander V is available for select twin cylinder engines.

Retains all of the standard Power Commander V fuel control features
Allows +/- 20 degrees of timing adjustment
Map Switch Input – change maps on the fly
Adjust timing per cylinder
Raise your Rev Limit (only available on select models)
Built In Launch Limiter

Another feature of the Power Commander V with Fuel and Ignition is the ability to use any TWO of these functions at the same time: Map Switch, QuickShifter, Pit Lane Speed Limiter, and Launch Control.​

POWER COMMANDER PART NUMBERS

Kawasaki EX650R 2006-2011
Powercommander V 17-008
Powercommander V (Fuel and Ignition) 17-030

Kawasaki EX650 2012-2013
Powercommander V (Fuel and Ignition) 17-042

C.A.R.B. VERSIONS
Kawasaki EX650R CA 2006-2008
Powercommander III USB EX 223-411EX

Kawasaki EX650R CA 2009-2011
Powercommander V EX 17-008EX

Kawasaki EX650 CA 2012-2013
Powercommander V EX 17-042EX​

POWER COMMANDER LINKS

POWER COMMANDER VIDEOS

PCV installation in a 2013 Ninja 650

Revzilla has an informative video about PCV. Yes I know the guy is annoying.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CjqTFXRdNJY

This guy does a real good job of explaining how the software works. Yes I know he's talking about sleds but the info is still good.
Bikeman Performance Power Commander Tutorial - YouTube

POWER COMMANDER FAQ

1) Is the PCV installation hard to do yourself?

A) Not in my opinion.
Calm down, I know your excited and nervous.
After you place your order and your waiting delivery download the manual. Find out what you will need to know out of the repair manual and make some notes.
Now that you know what you need to look for take the time to find that information in the repair manual and add the locations in the manual to your notes.
By doing this ahead of time you won't get frustrated seaching through the manual, you will already know exactly where to look.
Have your notes, PCV instructions, and repair manual handy for referencing removal of body panels, tank, airbox, and finding the wire connectors you will need.
Take your time, if you rush you could break a connector or strip screws.
When you open the airbox to remove it, place a clean rag over the throttle body opening to prevent anything from falling in the motor.
If your frustrated walk away, Working on your bike frustrated is when you will be most likely to force something and break it.
Plan the routing of the wire harness before you start making any connections.
Now make your connections and double check all of them before putting anything back together.
This is a good time to do the PAIR valve mod to help reduce backfires.
Use RTV red on all airbox seals including the crankcase breather tube to eliminate running inconstancy and RTV copper on all exhaust connections to help eliminate backfires.
Well the rest should now be easy, just reverse the processes.​

2) What exhausts does DJ have maps available for PCV to download?

A) 06-11: Stock, TB, Jardine RT5, LeoVince full exhaust, Muzzy M10, Yoshi.
12-13: Stock, TB, LeoVince.​

3) I don't see my exhaust listed, can I use one of the download maps anyway?

A) Short answer, Yes you CAN, should you? No not really! Even if the exhaust appear similar in lenght, and diameter their internal flow resistance will be different.
Different enough to need a custom tune.​

4) What are my options if there isn't a download map available for PCV?

A) I'll break this down into a few categories and it will really depend on how much money your willing to spend and how close of a tune your looking for.

1) Just download all the available maps for your model bike and try them all. When you find the one that's close use it as a base map and make manual changes to the rpm and throttle positions that don't seem right.
This is going to be a trial and error process to get it good enough.
To do this right you need and O2 sensor and AFR gauge.
That adds cost that could be used on the better options noted below.

2) A dyno tune.
This will get your bike spot on in tune for your setup.
The plus side of this you will get to see your actual HP/TQ numbers. Unfortunately those don't mean much if you didn't have a dyno run before your changes also.
Dyno tuning centers can be found here:
With this you will get one map.

3) Buying the AT. This is going to keep your bike perfectly in tune in real time and allow you to make changes to your airbox and exhaust at any time you need to.
I think this is the best option of the three. This option will most likely cost about the same as a dyno tune.This option also lets you create as many maps as you
need or want. See the AT FAQ below for more.​

5) What are the advantages of having my bike tuned with PCV?

A) The engine will run perfectly smooth at all rpm's. You will see reduced vibration on your hands, feet, and butt. There will be a noticable reduction in running temps.
The throttle will be smooth in all rpm's in all gears. No more hesitations, sputtering, bogging, and very little backfires no matter how much you move the throttle around.​

6) I see you didn't mention fuel mileage in the answer above, is it reduced?

A) Fuel mileage is going to very. If you cruise the same way you did before PCV your mileage will go down. I typically ride in a spirited fashion and I did
see my mileage go down.
On the other hand I have found I can now cruise as low as 2250rpm 33mph 6th gear and still be able to throttle out with out downshifting. I'm sure those numbers will
save fuel.​

·
Registered
1,251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Autotune FAQ

Autotune FAQ

@Product Overview

Don’t have a dyno tuning center nearby? Are you more of a D.I.Y. (do it yourself) type? Are you constantly changing parts on your bike?
If you answer "yes" to any or all of the questions above, then our Auto Tune kit is for you. The Dynojet Auto Tune kit is an "add on" accessory that can be used with any of our Power Commander V’s.
It connects to the PCV with a single cable and requires only a ground and +12 volt connection to be made to install (Harley models include connector for plugging directly into the bikes’ +12 volt line). If your exhaust does not already have one, a "weld in" O2 sensor bung is included.
"Well, how does it work and what does it do for me?"
We have taken virtually the same technology that our patented Tuning Link dynamometer software (for automated Dyno tuning) uses, along with Bosch Wide Band O2 sensors and miniaturized it to be used on your bike, ATV, or UTV, while you ride.
Once installed, the Auto Tune kit monitors the fuel mixture (by installing the included Wide Band O2 sensor in the exhaust). It then sends this information to the Power Commander V and automatically corrects it while you ride. Each map that we offer has preset Air/Fuel ratio values included that we find to be the best overall settings. This lets you simply plug in the unit and let it do the work. For Harley Davidson models we ever monitor and adjust each cylinder individually for increased precision as on these models required fueling can vary significantly between the front and rear cylinder.
For advanced users that would like to change the Air/Fuel ratios from our baseline they are fully adjustable. Each throttle opening/rpm combination is individually adjustable, so that you can have both fuel economy, during cruise, while maintaining peak output at larger throttle openings. For most models of bikes it is also possible to adjust the Air/Fuel ratios "per gear". This gives you total control of the fueling in every gear and throttle/rpm area if required.

The Auto Tune kit can be configured to run and correct at all times or by using the "map switch port" on the PCV. You can set it up so that you can switch back and forth between the tuning modes and the base map settings. You can also configure the Auto Tune kit to wait until the bike is at a certain operating temperature before beginning to make adjustments.​

@AUTOTUNE PART NUMBERS

Part #: AT-200
This version is a universal kit, single O2 sensor kit. It can be used on any vehicle that has a PCV installed on it. It comes with a single O2 sensor, "cut to length" sensor cable, control module, O2 sensor "weld on bung" and CAN connection cable. It requires a ground and +12 volt connection be made using the supplied Posi-Taps.

Part #: AT-300
This Autotune universal kit is designed for twin cylinder motorcycles that use the Power Commander V allowing control of two cylinders simultaneously. The kit includes two sensors and PCV connection harness.​

AUTOTUNE INSTRUCTIONS

AUTOTUNE VIDEOS

Introduction to Autotune.

Using the Autotune software.
Using The AutoTune Software - YouTube

O2 sensor placement.
O2 Sensor Placement when installing AutoTune - YouTube

AUTOTUNE FAQ

1) I would love the Autotune but more money right?

A)Yes, This add on is costing about $210. I think this is a good price. A dyno tune for PCV is $250, so for less money your getting your tune in real time in every condition, temp, humidity, elevation, and mods done to the bike.​

2) Do you just install the Autotune and the PCV and no mapping is required? Its good to go?

A) When you use the Autotune you can use any map as your base map for the Autotune to correct but try to choose the map that is closest to your setup.​

3) Do I need to add an O2 bung to make the Autotune work? If my aftermarket exhaust already has one, will that work?

A) Yes, you need an O2 bung to install the wide band O2 sensor. Yes in most cases the aftermarket exhuast bung will be the right size.​

4) PCV with Autotune or PCV with dyno tune?

A) If you really need to know your torque and horsepower numbers then by all means get the dyno tune. $250
If those numbers don't really mean anything to you and you just want your bike to be in tune I think Autotune is better. $210
With a dyno tune you get one map, with Autotune you can make as many maps as you want and store them on your PC but you can only have two on the PCV at a time unless you also have the LCD.​

5) Will the Autotune mask problems?

A) Yes it could, if you leave it in correct mode all the time with large values in the AT software.
On the other hand it can also tell you when things are wrong.
When you first install Autotune and create your "ideal map", save it in the PCV and rename it differently than your base map.
After a period of time, turn on the Autotune again and make another map, rename it and then compare the two.
If there are drastic changes you know you there is an issue.

Autotune will only make changes as big as you allow it to. You can have it make changes as small as 1% or as big as +250% adding fuel but can also take away -100% fuel.
To prevent it covering up major problems, only allow it to make changes around 5%.
Once you create your "ideal map", you would only need it to compensate for air temp, humidity, and elevation changes so you won't need the higher %'s like you did when you created your "ideal map".​

6) If there is no map for my setup, will Autotune still work?

A) Yes, it will make a map to the AFR settings of your choice.
You will still need to chose a base map as close to your setup as possible.
Worst case, use the stock exhaust stock filter map as your base map.
It may take longer to make an ideal map because it has to make bigger changes to more RPM and throttle position cells.​

7) Do I need to plug the pair valve for AT to work?

A) Yes, the pair valve need to be plugged. The O2 sensor will get false readings if the pair valve isn't plugged.​

·
Registered
1,251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
LCD FAQ

Power Commander LCD Unit

Product Overview

The LCD Display connects to any Power Commander (some BMW models excluded) via a "quick disconnect" cable. It is designed to remain on the bike and is weather resistant. While connected, the unit will display all available data from the Power Commander. When the optional Multi-Function Hub is also installed all of its data is available for viewing as well.
NOTE: Your Power Commander's firmware may need to be updated to use this device.​

Easy Installation & Mounting

The LCD Unit can easily be mounted with TECHMOUNT accessory mounting systems. For a complete guide of TECHMOUNT accessory mounting systems, please visit: TECHMOUNT - Home.​

Additional Features and Capabilities

Easy Removal, Mounting and Programmability
The unit can be removed easily from the bike and programmed with a desktop computer. Maps can be downloaded, stored and the data viewed with the supplied software. As new functions, screen and features become available the unit is “user upgradeable” using the supplied USB cable and free downloads available in this site under downloads and map downloads.​

Power Commander LCD-200 Unit Features

Can be connected to Power Commander V, AutoTune.
Convenient touch screen
View live channel data RPM, TP, map position (when using map switch), duty cycle, fuel change, ignition change & Air/Fuel Ratio (w/WB2 or AutoTune connected)
Adjust fuel trims – Low – Mid – High
Able to store multiple maps and send them on the fly to the PCV*.
Log data information
Play back logs in the LCD as well as view them in Excel and other programs
Able to see gear position and wheel speed
Calibrate TPS, Speed, Gear, Analog input configuration for boost, engine temp, etc
Performs the O2 sensor test
Adjust Lambda Smoothing
USB programmable, and upgradeable
Comes with Display File Manager software
* will not send SFM maps, (requires user supplied SD card, 1gb max)​

General Power Commander LCD Unit Features

Displays all Power Commander data "real-time"
Allows storage & switching between multiple maps
Data logging capable (Requires SD Memory Card, must be purchased separately)
"On Screen" map adjustments
User configurable screens
USB programmable & upgradable
Active Matrix TFT LCD 240x320 16 bit color screen
Unite Dimensions : 9.6cm x 5.8cm x 1.8cm.
Actual Screen Size: 6cm x 4.6cm​

Mounting Configuration

The bolt pattern on the back is an equilateral triangle bolt pattern. The bolt holes are 2.2cm from each other and use #4-40 threaded screws.​

Power Commander LCD PART NUMBER

LCD Unit LCD-200​

Power Commander LCD Instructions

Power Commander LCD Videos

LCD-200 Gauge setup

LCD-200 data logging feature.
Dynojet's LCD-200 Data Logging Tutorial - YouTube

Power Commander LCD FAQ

There hasn't been any questions asked about this product yet, I don't feel like making up my own pretend ones.​

·
Registered
1,251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Closing comments

Closing Comments

@This section may be changed to a Quick Shifter Section if there is enough interest.

OK, These posts will be updated with FAQ's, links and other information as I have time to do so. If you know of something you would like to see added just ask.
Please feel free ask questions or leave comments.

WARNING FINANCIAL ADVICE This is something I normally would not do. I promise I won't do it ever again! The questions I get asked most and the most complaints I hear are about cost. Surprising right! Well not in this wonderful economy.
The only advice I can think of to give about this is, sign up for paypal and billmelater, spend over $100 and get six months to pay with no payments or interest. Make damn sure you pay it off in full before the six months are up and it won't cost you any extra. If you don't they charge you the six months interest on the full amount.YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED I don't want to discuss this any further and If it bothers the members here I will be more than glad to remove it.

Please only make posts about the topics. Enjoy:alcy:

·
Registered
745 Posts
Oh good lord Mark. As if Brad doesn't give me enough to read now you have to grace us with this!? Ugh, better go get my reading glasses. :nerd:

I suppose I should clarify that the above statement is in fact said with the highest amount of gratitude for both of you and the information you have given me and the other users here. You are both very knowledgable and do a lot of the work and reasearch most of us don't even know where to begin with. I look forward to reading this as you have definitely shown me with your other posts just how beneficial a PCV is.

·
Registered
745 Posts
On the other hand I have found I can now cruise as low as 2250rpm 33mph 6th gear and still be able to throttle out with out downshifting. I'm sure those numbers will
save fuel.
WHAT?! No frickin way. Slowest I can go before the bike feels like it is going to give out on me in 6th gear is 45mph MAYBE 40mph if I'm confident enough, but it sure isn't pretty. I would really love to lose the sputtering. Driving downtown is a nightmare because of the constant sputtering or high revs being down a gear to keep it from sputtering. Slow turns are also made difficult with how much my bike lunges when it sputters. Ugh, the more you talk about this the more I want this. I'm glad you have found PCV with AT for $500 because the regular $700-800 was starting to make my wallet cry.

·
Registered
745 Posts
2) What exhausts does DJ have maps available for PCV to download?

A) 06-11: Stock, TB, Jardine RT5, LeoVince full exhaust, Muzzy M10, Yoshi.
12-13: Stock, TB, LeoVince.

You know I really hate that DJ doesn't have a map for the Jardine GP-1 that I have on my bike. I still don't understand why either. If you go to Jardine's site and tell them you have a Ninja 650 (they don't ask what year), your only option is the Jardine GP-1. If you go to MotorcycleSuperStore.com and look up the Jardine RT-5 and check to see if it fits a Ninja 650 they tell you no! So why/how is there a map for the RT-5 and not the GP-1?! I'm about ready to call DJ to see if it was just a typo because this is confusing/annoying the heck out of me. :rant

·
Registered
66 Posts
Closing Comments

OK, These posts will be updated with FAQ's, and more info thru out the night so check back each section will be updated. If you know of something you would like to see added just ask.
Please feel free to start asking questions or leaving comments.

Please only make posts about the topics. Enjoy:alcy:
Thanks for the info Mark! I'm not that familiar with the PCIII or JBP, but the more I read, the more I think that one of these systems is the solution to some of mt bikes "irritants". I've got an 07 that has a TB exhaust on it. It studders when driving slower such as 10-25mph in 1 or 2 gear. I also get a backfire from time to time on hard deceleration. Someone told me this is what happens if I have an aftermarket exhaust without adding some fuel tuning/timing system. Any thoughts?

PS is paying 500+ the only solution to this? Thanks in advance

·
Registered
745 Posts
Thanks for the info Mark! I'm not that familiar with the PCIII or JBP, but the more I read, the more I think that one of these systems is the solution to some of mt bikes "irritants". I've got an 07 that has a TB exhaust on it. It studders when driving slower such as 10-25mph in 1 or 2 gear. I also get a backfire from time to time on hard deceleration. Someone told me this is what happens if I have an aftermarket exhaust without adding some fuel tuning/timing system. Any thoughts?

Have you plugged your pair valve yet? This will help with the back firing issue but not with the studdering. As Mark said in the JBP section if you don't plan to make any further mods or change you should be okay with the JBP or PCIII since there is a map for your exhaust (unless you have done more than install the TB pipe that you did not mention).

Luckily, you bought a common exhaust and TB has a map for their exhaust to go with the JBP. So again, if you don't have any mods besides the exhaust, and don't plan to do any more upgrading or tweaking, then you should be able to get away with the JBP which is only $200 at Revzilla. If you plan to do more to you bike in terms of engine/power, then you may want to wait on Mark to complete this write up, and may need/want to look into the PCV with AT.

Side Note - I don't think I've ever seen a blue gen 1, definitely not in person, from your picture that color looks awesome! Sweet looking ride!

·
Registered
1,251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
micro1331's on the ball today! :dance:

He's right if you plan on keeping that TB pipe just get the JBP $200, if you think you'll want to upgrade later just get the PCV $280(pm me if you can't find it) to start with and worry about the other upgrades later.
One tip I'm going to add to the FAQ is when you install either one follow my install tips in the PCV section.
Also do the PAIR valve mod! Use RTV red on the air box. Any air leaks cause inconsistent running. Use RTV copper on the exhaust connections, any leaks here will make the backfires much worse.

·
Registered
1,251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
WHAT?! No frickin way
I kid you not!

You know I really hate that DJ doesn't have a map for the Jardine GP-1 that I have on my bike. I still don't understand why either. If you go to Jardine's site and tell them you have a Ninja 650 (they don't ask what year), your only option is the Jardine GP-1. If you go to MotorcycleSuperStore.com and look up the Jardine RT-5 and check to see if it fits a Ninja 650 they tell you no! So why/how is there a map for the RT-5 and not the GP-1?! I'm about ready to call DJ to see if it was just a typo because this is confusing/annoying the heck out of me. :rant
Are you going to contact them or do you want me to?

·
Registered
66 Posts
Have you plugged your pair valve yet? This will help with the back firing issue but not with the studdering. As Mark said in the JBP section if you don't plan to make any further mods or change you should be okay with the JBP or PCIII since there is a map for your exhaust (unless you have done more than install the TB pipe that you did not mention).

Luckily, you bought a common exhaust and TB has a map for their exhaust to go with the JBP. So again, if you don't have any mods besides the exhaust, and don't plan to do any more upgrading or tweaking, then you should be able to get away with the JBP which is only $200 at Revzilla. If you plan to do more to you bike in terms of engine/power, then you may want to wait on Mark to complete this write up, and may need/want to look into the PCV with AT.

Side Note - I don't think I've ever seen a blue gen 1, definitely not in person, from your picture that color looks awesome! Sweet looking ride!
Thanks, I love the color also. I have not plugged the pair valve. I've heard this referred to several times but don't know what it actually is. Is this something that should be done for sure? What are the benefits/drawbacks?

·
Registered
66 Posts
micro1331's on the ball today! :dance:

He's right if you plan on keeping that TB pipe just get the JBP $200, if you think you'll want to upgrade later just get the PCV $280(pm me if you can't find it) to start with and worry about the other upgrades later.
One tip I'm going to add to the FAQ is when you install either one follow my install tips in the PCV section.
Also do the PAIR valve mod! Use RTV red on the air box. Any air leaks cause inconsistent running. Use RTV copper on the exhaust connections, any leaks here will make the backfires much worse.
What kind of upgrades are you referring to? I don't see myself doing any engine mods right now so the JBP should work. However, if there are other mods that I'm going to find out about and want to add, it might be better to spend the extra 80 and get the PCV. What other mods/upgrades will need the PCV instead?

·
Registered
745 Posts
Thanks, I love the color also. I have not plugged the pair valve. I've heard this referred to several times but don't know what it actually is. Is this something that should be done for sure? What are the benefits/drawbacks?
Just saw your post come in. The pair valve to my understanding his a hose that runs from your air box to the exhaust and allows clean air into the exhaust. The purpose of that in the stock exhaust was to help emissions and make the exhaust cleaner coming out of the bike. The issue that is caused with an aftermarket exhaust is that the fresh air ignites with the exhaust inside of an aftermarket can and creates another explosion. This is the popping you hear. By plugging the valve you prevent the fresh air from getting in there to cause the pop.

That's my understanding from the info I've gathered here on the forum. Someone else can correct the incorrect parts I may have said :)

As for how to do this there are a few walkthroughs on this forum. I'm not at my computer right now and won't be until tomorrow so I will grab you link as soon as I can. I believe it was Xpyron that I spoke with last on this and it looks like we have a gen 2 and a gen 3 walkthrough but the gen 1 walkthrough has been lost. The gen 2 walk through should be close enough and again, I will try to link that for you as soon as I can.

·
Registered
1,251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 · (Edited)
anything about what the PROS use?

bazzaz z-fi tc

which retails about 900.
I will not be answering questions about other brand fuel controllers! I don't have experience with the others and don't feel I can give a fair representation of their products.
Quote's self, 5th sentence first section!

When is the last time you broke the back tire loose on the Ninja 650 from too much power? If I was a pro my choice would have been the same, my personal preference! Thanks for posting.

anything about what the PROS use?
After a quick search this appears to be an opinion not fact. The only thing Bazzaz offers that PCV doesn't is traction control.

PCV Autotune maps at twice the resolution of Bazzaz. Every 250rpm for PCV and only every 500rpm for Bazzaz.

1 - 20 of 353 Posts