RiderForums.com - Kawasaki Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
No **** right now, I went outside a couple hours ago and saw that my bike is gone. I have a police report and started insurance claim already. It's a long shot, but figured I'd notify you guys in case you notice anything on here. Was stolen around 5:00 AM this morning in Waipahu, HI, which is on the island of Oahu. FML

·
Registered
10,325 Posts
Sucks. Hopefully your next bike will have more protection.

·
Registered
1,395 Posts
Sorry to hear it. One can only hope that a unique bike like yours (on Oahu) would be spotted. There isn't much worse a feeling than staring at the spot where you KNOW something was and the realization hits that it's been ripped off. :(

·
Registered
4,624 Posts
Horrible friggin feelin. Definitely ruins your day.

·
Registered
1,920 Posts
Really sorry to hear that. Thieves, morons and mis-fits...the worlds full of them. On the plus side, there's limited places to go with it on an island. The worst part is, who ever has, or had it, is now going to beat the hell out of it, and/or "strip it" for the parts. (unless you "marked" individual parts/pieces you'll never prove they were from your bike) or they may try selling it as a "track-bike/stunt bike" since it won't be "legit" without its title. Not sure I'd want it back vs/depending on how much your insurance will pay you for its replacement. (provided had full replacement value insurance) Karma would be, he gets hurt driving it, and the cops/ambulance find him, with it (the bike) laying on top of him without a scratch. LOL

·
Banned
2,525 Posts
Really sorry to hear that. Thieves, morons and mis-fits...the worlds full of them. On the plus side, there's limited places to go with it on an island. The worst part is, who ever has, or had it, is now going to beat the hell out of it, and/or "strip it" for the parts. (unless you "marked" individual parts/pieces you'll never prove they were from your bike) or they may try selling it as a "track-bike/stunt bike" since it won't be "legit" without its title. Not sure I'd want it back vs/depending on how much your insurance will pay you for its replacement. (provided had full replacement value insurance) Karma would be, he gets hurt driving it, and the cops/ambulance find him, with it (the bike) laying on top of him without a scratch. LOL
Not sure whos worse. The moron motorcycle thief or slimy white collar thieves who steal from us every day and get away with it because they're protected by even slimier people further up the ladder. Yes... they certainly are out there, every day, like leeches skimming off a little blood here and there. At least when a motorcycle theif steals your bike, it's right out there, in your face, it's pure, no questions asked. The white collar thieves slime their way into and out of our pockets.

·
Registered
589 Posts
No **** right now, I went outside a couple hours ago and saw that my bike is gone. I have a police report and started insurance claim already. It's a long shot, but figured I'd notify you guys in case you notice anything on here. Was stolen around 5:00 AM this morning in Waipahu, HI, which is on the island of Oahu. FML
That's a special looking bike, I can only imagine what you're going through. I hope you're insurance treats to right. Is insurance expensive there?

Not sure whos worse. The moron motorcycle thief or slimy white collar thieves who steal from us every day and get away with it because they're protected by even slimier people further up the ladder. Yes... they certainly are out there, every day, like leeches skimming off a little blood here and there. At least when a motorcycle theif steals your bike, it's right out there, in your face, it's pure, no questions asked. The white collar thieves slime their way into and out of our pockets.
What does, "The Big Short" have to do with this? Just kidding, you may not want to see this movie.

·
Registered
12 Posts
To anyone, if you keep your bike outside, doesn't matter where, even in rich neighborhood, put wheels locks on Front and Rear, they even have some with alarms on them. Why do people think that if I keep it in your yard or next to the house that the bike won't get stolen, that's so ****ing ignorant.

·
Registered
285 Posts
I'd say the key is locking it to a physical object rather than just wheel locks, but it's a start for sure. Though let's be realistic - every barrier you put up for a potential thief is another step you put in your own way for everyday use. It's a pity, but it's the truth. Attaching a disc lock or carrying a chain gets old after a while - especially for quick stops.

In any case, posts like this make me glad to have gone all-in with my motorcycle alarm system. It includes a GPS tracker which is controllable/trackable from any phone or an app, a remote engine kill-switch, and a decoy alarm system. Hopefully I'll never need it - but if I do, there it is. To boot, it's a pretty cheap project, though it does take some head-scratching. In case anyone is curious I made a comprehensive motorcycle alarm DIY detailing the process for my bike.

But at the end of the day, let's face it. The difference between having to write a post like the OP or not comes down to luck to a non-trivial degree. Though it'll always put a smile on my face to remember that I got back my stolen bike (nice mountain bike, not motorcycle - even harder to get back) once years ago. That certainly was luck.

·
Registered
10,325 Posts
All locks do is stop crimes of opportunity by petty thieves and druggies. Pros will get your bike if they want it. Having a garage and using it are key and it gets you a lower rate on insurance.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts