RiderForums.com - Kawasaki Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
10,328 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here it is all set up for backroads touring. I put 15,400 miles on it the first year of ownership. That mileage includes 16 states.

Accessories I have added to the bike.

Kawasaki Vario windscreen
Kawasaki Hand Guards
Kawasaki Color Matched Hand Guard shells
Kawasaki Heated Grips
Kawasaki 12V accessory outlet
Kawasaki Tank pad
Fender Extender
Evotech Radiator Guard
SW Motech running light brackets
Denali D1 LED Running Lights
SW Motech GPS mount
RAM GPS Cradle
Garmin Nuvi 765T GPS
Terry Adcox Custom seat
SW Motech Engine Guards
SW Motech Highway Pegs
Kawasaki V35 mounting brackets
GIVI V35 Saddlebags
Kawasaki Color match panel for GIVI V35 saddlebags
Admorelighting LED lights for V35 saddlebags
Pyramid rear Hugger
Wired for heated gear
Second 12V accessory outlet under the seat

·
Registered
2,280 Posts
Looks fantastic!
I think the only thing I would change if I owned the bike would be to have the givi e21 saddlebags instead.
So that I'm still able to split lanes in city traffic...

Oh, and add a centerstand.

·
Registered
6,807 Posts
No centerstands that I'm aware of available for the Versys or Ninja... You get used to not having one actually...

That being said, I've never ridden a Versys. I think I would really like it. Honestly, I think Karla would love riding one so much she wouldn't be happy with anything else.

The Versys will dip into our price range in another few years, hopefully about the time Karla is ready to "upgrade."

·
Registered
2,280 Posts
No centerstands! That sucks! :laugh:

I think I've seen some first generation Versys priced pretty low on Craiglist.
Of course, you know ....winter time is the best time to buy.
Although, first gen Versys are supposed to be more "vibey" than the 2nd gen Versys
But it is all relative...

·
Registered
10,328 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The only hassle about not having a center stand is lubing the chain on a trip. At home you just pop it up on the paddock stand so no issues. On a trip you have to move the bike to expose the part of the chain you want to lube, or have a buddy pull the bike up on the sidestand so you can rotate the wheel and lube the chain. It was a hassle during my big ride this past summer. Made me thing about shaft drive adventure bikes.

·
Registered
6,807 Posts
The only hassle about not having a center stand is lubing the chain on a trip.
May I recommend you pick up a PackJack? It takes a little bit to get the hang of it, and you can't be on concrete, but I love mine.

·
Registered
3,180 Posts
PHP:
May I recommend you pick up a PackJack? It takes a little bit to get the hang of it, and you can't be on concrete, but I love mine.
Or if you're cheap like me you could use a piece of 1X2 or 1X3. The Versys (as well as the 650R and ER6N) are light enough, you can easily tip the rear of the bike and prop it up with a piece of scrap lumber. Of course I wouldn't recommend taking the wheel off or anything crazy like that.

·
Registered
6,807 Posts
I couldn't get the lumber trick to work reliably, especially on different surfaces while fully loaded. :-( User error I'm sure!

·
Registered
3,180 Posts
I love your set up, and am very jealous you are able to ride it that much. I'm currently "in the market" for a Versys, and wish I could find one with (at least) a couple of the farkles, for a decent price but no luck so far. I'm tempted to buy a new 2011 (it's actually the same color as yours) for $6499, but HATE buying new bikes.

·
Registered
2,280 Posts
The only hassle about not having a center stand is lubing the chain on a trip. At home you just pop it up on the paddock stand so no issues. On a trip you have to move the bike to expose the part of the chain you want to lube, or have a buddy pull the bike up on the sidestand so you can rotate the wheel and lube the chain. It was a hassle during my big ride this past summer. Made me thing about shaft drive adventure bikes.
Does the Concours have a shaft drive?

I've found the centerstand quite useful when filling up at gas stations. With the centerstand, it is easy to fill it right to the lip of the tank and max out the range on the bike for each tank. Also useful in checking my engine oil level while on the road. Air cooled bikes have some tendency to burn some oil. I've also found it very useful when working on the bike at home since I have no garage in my apartment building and just don't have the space for additional motorcycle stands.

·
Registered
132 Posts
I have installed a vacuum based auto chain lubing system (in short, scottoiler) hence, no issue about lubing chain on the road.

·
Registered
10,328 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Some additional photos of the bike for those who have been asking.

Older windshield below. Like the adjustability of the Vario better.

Close up of the Denali lights, SW Motech mounts, and Radiator Guard

·
Registered
153 Posts
I have an '09 Versys with 16k miles, but I don't like the Tupperware buzz. The high rev nature of the bike makes it a poor candidate for fairings.

·
Registered
10,328 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I have an '09 Versys with 16k miles, but I don't like the Tupperware buzz. The high rev nature of the bike makes it a poor candidate for fairings.
There are ways to address the buzzing plastics on the first gen bikes. The hard part is isolating where the buzzing is emanating from.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts