RiderForums.com - Kawasaki Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thanks to the help from all of you who watched and offered opinions on my build my bike was published. you can find it in the November issue of Riders Review, a local free bike mag here in San Diego. you can see it online in full color here:

http://www.ridersreview.com/issues/pdf/vol3issue12.pdf

Thanks again for all of the advice, :notworthy

·
Registered
427 Posts
Sick! I really like that bike. When you were building it I had doubts but the final product is really clean. Congrats.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Powdercoat your forks black! That's the only thing I can think of that would improve your bike at all.

Yes, I love your bike and badly want to imitate it. :)

Oh, and congrats on the publication! That's awesome to see your hard work appreciated in a mag like that.

·
Registered
347 Posts
Nicely done!

I didn't follow your build, but I think your bike looks fanastic! Makes me wish I wasn't selling my 06...uggh. Love the look of the gold 636 forks against the black bike. Love the look, curves, and lines of the Akro header....I had the same one...best looking header tubes ever on the first gen Z's. Finally, the headlight seems to match the bike nicely, I quite like the look of that...even the non-painted aluminum parts...looks great, just like that!!

The only other thing I could see doing is installing a different set of front rotors...something wavy, with black carriers/hubs. That would look great too.

In any case, the bike looks good no matter how you slice it. Good on you for making something unique and different!!

·
Registered
316 Posts
I didn't follow your build, but I will be going back to read through. I love the headlight, and am curious about the gauge you have. I'll search the thread for details. Great choice on the satin black.

·
Registered
347 Posts
That is BEAUTIFUL! Those aren't stock wheels, are they?
They just look like the stock wheels, painted black. Those front rotors are stock Z1000, and they won't fit on anything else.

Did I mention that I have a set of Ebony black 07 ZX10R rims for sale??...lol.

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for all the comments guys, first off: i can't powdercoat the forks, wish i could but the diameter would change slightly according to the shop and it would upset everything i had mounted on them. i wanted to have them anodized in black or something but then i would have had to strip them down. i just got lazy i guess, you know how it is...you just want to get it together and start riding! As for the silver bits and the Unpainted brake calipers that no one seemed to notice thank god, i will have to tackle them at a later date, thinking of embracing the gold i originally hated and bringing it into all the small bits including the calipers. finally yes those are stock wheels. i was to intimidated to take on the ZX10 wheel swap, i just didn't feel comfortable even though that is the sickest and cheapest route to go. just powdercoated the stock ones flat black for about 200 bucks.

The build isn't completely finished but i am enjoying her a lot. taking her to the track tonight for the first time!!

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
What are those mirrors I really like em
Those are Rizoma's they are like 100 bucks each. best place to buy them is pjsparts.com but if your looking for the look and don't mind a little less quality i just saw a copy cat company making almost identical ones. probably a fraction of the cost but Chief at Pjsparts is good people and he has always taken care of me.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Those are Rizoma's they are like 100 bucks each. best place to buy them is pjsparts.com but if your looking for the look and don't mind a little less quality i just saw a copy cat company making almost identical ones. probably a fraction of the cost but Chief at Pjsparts is good people and he has always taken care of me.
I have met PJ a few times. Really cool guy and a great place to get your parts!

·
Registered
806 Posts
congrats man! you deserve it, thats a great looking bike you built there

·
Registered
1,457 Posts
Dig the Rizzy' front light set-up, very nice. Also I like that you didn't go crazy on chopping the can, for awhile the trend seemed to be seeing just how short you could get it... I think the longer look works great and beyond that it keeps the sound/performance right where it should be. My new bike has a short Mivv Gp canister and it's too "raw" sounding, too blatty. Also I think the gold forks provide the "offset" you need to round it all out. Props on that bad-*** Zed :bling:

·
Registered
545 Posts
love the bike
some real nice bits ive not seen previous

would like more details on the clipons they look very good and also good adjustability

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I appreciate all the positive feedback on the article and bike guys. At one time i was considering cutting the can a little, maybe 4 inches less but the cost / time and fear of the unknown when it comes to performance and sound left me wanting to leave it alone.

The clip ons are converibars, I do love the adjustability but i won't lie they are a little cumbersome looking. you have the "cyclops" clip on the forks, then from there you mount the rising bar, then from there you mount the actual clip on. Tons of adjustability but if you know exactly where you want your bars then i would recommend a cheaper option, like vortex or similiar. please understand that there is absolutely nothing wrong with the convertibars, in fact they work amazing, but if i were making a show bike i might look for a simpler design. If i ever change them i will make sure you guys get first dibs.

I may paint the calipers, footpegs and some other bits copper / gold to match the forks, i am tired of fighting the forks color and they do offset all that "mad max" black.

I hope you guys enjoyed my "cookie cutter" comment in the article. I thought that while i had everyones attention i would take a little fun stab at the 2 billion Gixxers that i bump into at every bike night. LOL, just messing around though. :killingme

1 - 16 of 16 Posts