RiderForums.com - Kawasaki Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
250 Posts
Awsome!!! Same year and color as mine. I'd love to make it to a track someday. No cages to worry about and no tourists standing in the road to take pictures.
Looks like the day just ended getting better for you banda. Sun came out and you guys went even faster.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Nice video!
Thanks!

It's quite strange how you grab that front lever with all four fingers when you let off the gas after a hard run.
It's funny. I two finger brake on my trail bike and on my supermoto, but use the whole mitt for my street bikes. Not sure why - perhaps it's the MSF lessons that were drilled into me all those years ago? Maybe if I sprang for some nice Pazzos, you wouldn't see me flapping my whole hand at the lever...

You are a pretty good rider man! I need to go to the track so I can start scraping some pegs.
Well thanks. But there's two reasons you see me making passes in that video - The first is that Gateway's road course (inside the oval) is astoundingly dangerous - very little usable runoff, and plain old *walls* around big chunks of it. Riders who either haven't raced there, or have never raced flat track ride very conservatively there. The second reason is plain old track knowledge - there's only 8 turns and 7 of them have a "trick" to them that maximizes exit speed for some very short "chutes". If you only know 5 of the tricks you can fly around there passing people at will, no matter what you or they are riding.

The Speed Four in the video? Used to be mine - my brother badgered me to sell it to him. It has almost 30 less hp than the Z, just a tick over 80. I lap that track just about 2 seconds faster on the Speed Four than the Z for three reasons: Weight advantage to the Triumph. The high bars on the Z cause me to make excessive inadvertent steering inputs when I shift my body from one side of the bike to the other. And cornering clearance - My entry speed for turn 2 is limited by the fact that the Z drags the left peg for 40 feet before I get it pointed at the apex. That, incidentally, is where you see my brother gapping me big time - I have to use up three of my tricks just to catch him again.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Great video. Are people really going that slow on the side or is that their fast speed? I've never been so I don't know the skill levels.
It takes track knowledge and some balls to go fast there, not horsepower. You make all your time there by running it in deep while pointed at a wall, or by getting on the gas early over crappy surfaces. I have caught and passed a built Hayabusa down the straight on that Speed Four by getting a faster run at the last corner exit and staying on the gas deeper into turn one.

Besides, we don't call them slow. We call them cautious. We like cautious riders better than we like guys who get the session red flagged because they threw it down the road. One of our sessions that day was cut short when a guy low sided and hit the wall with his Nicky Hayden edition Ducati 848. :mecry:

I was probably in the wrong group - I wanted to film my brother. Plus it was my first track day in 3 years, and my first ever on the Z - I didn't want to be a rolling roadblock in one of the faster groups. My brother and I are both fast enough to ride in the next faster group - that's what we'll do next time.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.