RiderForums.com - Kawasaki Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
10,327 Posts
Passing where there is an opportunity to turn left is not a good idea. Guess he found out the hard way why the truck was going slow. I wonder if a Stebel Nautilus Horn would have put the truck back on the straight path and allowed the motorcycle to pass. Rest in Peace. I'm glad I read this because I am going on a 500 mile jaunt with my wife this weekend. Always good to have reminders.

·
Registered
5,954 Posts
Passing where there is an opportunity to turn left is not a good idea. Guess he found out the hard way why the truck was going slow. I wonder if a Stebel Nautilus Horn would have put the truck back on the straight path and allowed the motorcycle to pass. Rest in Peace. I'm glad I read this because I am going on a 500 mile jaunt with my wife this weekend. Always good to have reminders.
Scary..Hope I never have to find out if my horn wouldve helped in a situation like this..If he didnt hear the pipes of the Harley, hard to tell if they wouldve heard anything else or if there was time.. Just another hazard for all of us to watch our for.

·
Registered
299 Posts
our stock horns don't work on the highway! I had a car almost push me off the road as i was laying on the horn for a good 2 seconds...they didnt hear it.
I dont even bother to use it anymore, i just hit the brakes while moving away from the vehicle until i am behind them

·
Registered
6,807 Posts
I believe Amazon is having a sale on horns... Give me a second to investigate and I'll post a new thread if I'm right.

I'm gonna be adding a set of Fiamm high/low horns tonight I think. You can yank them off older caddy's in junkyards for cheap.

·
Registered
1,656 Posts
did the guy have a signal on to turn left ? and you know they still have trucks on the road that delete the turn signals ( remember this, be careful ) when they have their four way flashers on. example: a few yrs ago a garbage truck stopped on rural highway with four way flashers on, driver passes and wife and kids are killed when the truck turned left, the husband father (seriously injured) was persecuted...come to think of it, many yrs ago, an oil delivery truck that had pulled onto the shoulder and appeared to stop ( and I even went a bit to the left in case he opened his door), just turned left in front of me into a driveway. weird, that was just outside of Salem also. He told the osp he didnt even look.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Motorcycles may be fast, but we are guppies when on the highway. No matter how much a person in a vehicle angers you because he IS doing wrong...motorcyclists HAVE to think safety and take extra precautions.....and always be suited up, article said they were wearing helmets...wonder if they were wearing other protective clothing?

·
Registered
984 Posts
Passing where there is an opportunity to turn left is not a good idea.
This is actually the best take away. I was going to do a pass once on Mulholland, and as I moved out the guy's hand came out the window in a "slow down" motion as his blinker came on. As it happened, he was a fire fighter going to make a left into the ranger station.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts