RiderForums.com - Kawasaki Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I'm from about an hour outside Manhattan and commute to work I'm now moving into the city so I've been doing a lot of research on motorcycle security. I'm looking for advise on what else I can do or improve upon what I have already implemented on my 2008 Ninja 650R.

So far I have...
-Bought a 19mm protector Chain, Squire Padlock and a Large Anti Pinch Pin which I use to lock to a light pole or other immoveable object
-I Have a Onguard 25mm Cable Lock
-I Always Lock my bars with the OEM lock
-And I Installed a Spy5000M Alarm System with two way paging
- I also have a old cover to throw over the bike

the pictures below are in the storage unit I use in the winter the pictures are just to show where I put the locks and for a visual reference any and all advise on repositioning the locks or other devices I can use are welcome..

photo 1.JPG photo 2.JPG photo 3.JPG photo 4.JPG photo 3.JPG

Attachments

·
Registered
10,327 Posts
I would hate to live where I have to result to such security measures. All of my bikes have a higher insurance value than I could sell them for. I don't worry about them being stolen. Just means I could go buy another one. Of course with that attitude I will never get one stolen. LOL.

The only other thing I can suggest is to always park near a Super Sport or some other bike that would be a more advantageous target for the thieves.

·
Registered
5,168 Posts
How about a front disc lock?

Securing it to something helps prevent a couple of folks lifting it into the back of a truck etc,
The chain, lock etc helps prevent someone from hot wiring it and driving off,
The alarm let's you know (and anyone around the bike),
Covering helps hide it from tempting eyes.

You could put a tracker on it, but why bother.
I was going to say the same about a kill switch, be it a toggle or keyed.

If someone wants it, they will find a way - or make a mess of it trying.
Either way, you don't want it back. Make sure your insurance will cover replacement like 2Wheel said.

Just be smart and don't leave the registration / insurance cards etc in the bike.

·
Registered
3,180 Posts
I'm with the others. Glad I don't have to resort to these measures, I realized as I pulled into my driveway yesterday that I had left the garage door unlocked since Saturday with the keys in all 3 bike's ignitions. About the only thing I can think of is to not use the old cover, which I'm afraid might make your 2008 Kawasaki Ninja 650R look just like a 2014 ZX-10R. That and keep your insurance premiums paid.

·
Registered
493 Posts
Holy smokes. That is one elaborate set of security devices. Like mentioned, best to lock it down to something - as three guys ca easily hoist it up into a truck.

Not really to much you can do. I have full coverage, so if they really want her - I am protected financially.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
All very good advice. Yea I'm going to get theft and collision for the riding season so I don't have to worry and In the winter Ill just keep collision on it. That way I'm only paying for 6 months at a higher rate when its being used.

·
Banned
3,123 Posts
All very good advice.
And I will add:
Forget locking the forks with the built-in lock.
Doing that is just a pain in the butt for you and with all the other stuff you have, why bother.

Then, if you don't ride the bike for a week or more, you likely will find the battery dead because of the alarm system.
It might not even take that many days.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
And I will add:
Forget locking the forks with the built-in lock.
Doing that is just a pain in the butt for you and with all the other stuff you have, why bother.

Then, if you don't ride the bike for a week or more, you likely will find the battery dead because of the alarm system.
It might not even take that many days.
Its easy with the ninja its built in the ignition lock unlike some others that you have a separate key hole for. Yes I'm planning on ridding daily to work during the season. Im also very OCD when it comes to my bike as far as checking on it and starting it every couple of days if I don't use it for some reason.

·
Registered
5,954 Posts
Trunk Monkey Compilation - YouTube

Maybe you can find the Bike version of this security system.

Other-wise I wouldnt spend a whole lot of $$ on anything above the cable and disk lock. At least when you turn your insurance claim in, you can say it was locked

·
Registered
5,168 Posts
Man, I totally forgot about trunk monkeys.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts