RiderForums.com - Kawasaki Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Silver Member
881 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok who would be the most influential ( non-pro ) rider of our times?

For me I remember my big brother raving about seeing On Any Sunday at the Drive-In ( remember those ? ) when I was a teen.

To me my greatest hero was always the Cooler King :D:D
The ( non bike ) chase scene from Bullitt didnt damage his cause any either.

:)

Z

·
0 Posts
I'd have to agree with you on that one...Steve McQueen was a great motorcyclist, and actor to boot! "Bullit", "The Getaway", "The Great Escape", I could go on and on....Most of the great ones are gone.....:angel:

Pete S.
:cool:

·
Registered
1,722 Posts
I vote for "the Fonz" on Happy Days. :(

Sorry, couldn't think of anybody else other than Fonda in Easy Rider or Namath in some other bike movie I don't remember the name of. How bout Evel Knievel? Nah.

Roger DeCoster was my man.

kelly

·
Dirty Harry.... Moderator
9,816 Posts
Someone mention DeCoster? Yea Kelly he was one of my all time favorite 'crossers, but I can't really pick just Roger, Bob Hannah, Brad Lackey (first American World Champion, 500cc in '82), David Bailey, Jeff Ward (now in indy cars), Kent Howerton, all a bunch of good racers. Jeremy McGrath. Now it's that Travis Pastrana! Man, I do still love motocross. Tom :cool:

But Steve McQueen was my movie favorite.

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
he deinitely got paid for what he did which i guess makes him professional but i always dug Evel Knievel. from what i've learned of him he sounds like a pretty cantankerous old coot to deal with personally but i still remember watching his stunts on tv when i was a kid.

did anyone else have the action figure and crank driven bike as a kid? it left black skid marks all over my mom's floors and baseboards ;)

scott :)

·
Dirty Harry.... Moderator
9,816 Posts
And this is an old photo of Brad Lackey in '75 before he rode a Suzuki to the 500cc World Moto Cross championship in 1982.

·
West Coast Moderator
12,996 Posts
A "Stroker" cap. I use to have that one (Bell Helmets) and a Yamaha "Stroker". I remember those days.....lemme search the old photo's...........

·
Registered
1,722 Posts
I was really into Evel too as a kid. Remember the movie with George Hamilton? Good flick (I thought so at least). Never had the action figures though. Jumped plenty of bicycles off of wooden ramps though. That Snake River Canyon fiasco sort of ended the Evel phenom.

And I remembered the movie with Broadway Joe Namath; it was C. C. Rider. The only part I really remember about it was when Joe (C.C.) walked through the supermarket and made himself a sandwich by taking two slices of bread out of the bread packet, mayo out of a jar, etc. etc., and reclosing all the containers and putting them back on the shelf. I thought that was cool.

Nobody mentioning James Dean? A little before my time. How bout Marlon Brando in another oldie? Don't know the name of that one.

And I used to have the same shirt as Brad Lackey. I forgot all about it until I saw that pic! Thanks Tom! :)

kelly

·
West Coast Moderator
12,996 Posts
Stroker Cap, 1976, my brothers' 16th B-day (he's the one with the Honda hat).

The Old guy in the pic is my Uncle. My uncle, his wife (my dad's sister), my dad and my grand father are the most inspirational riders to me.

·
West Coast Moderator
12,996 Posts
This is a pic of my dad (the young looking chap) and grandfather. It was taken somewhere around 1944/45. The bike is an early Army Surplus Indian. If a pic like this isn't inspiration, I don't know what is.

But being how they aren't really known outside the Gibson Clan, I would have to go with McQueen. If you've ever seen "On Any Sunday", you got to see him as a person, as a rider and not really as an actor. He registered in one race under an assumed name to not draw attention. It worked for a while. Even though they were pro, I'd also have to throw in Malcom Smith, Roger D, Kenny Roberts, Brad Lackey, Marty Smith and just about all the MXer's from the 70's. Those guys were tough.

·
Registered
78 Posts
For me it's dear old Dad. He used to race MX. DT Yamahas around '69-'74, until I got old enough. Now he's 60 and rides a ZX12R. We made a trip to Deals Gap in May and another out to Yellowstone and beyond this summer.
Dad's the tall one (6'4") on the right.

Proof that once your over the hill, you pick up speed!

Here's the rest of the pics http://community.webshots.com/user/scooter1040

·
Wheelie for Safety
1,550 Posts
kelly said:
Jumped plenty of bicycles off of wooden ramps though.
Hi Kelly,

Thanks for refreshing my memory. I used to do that to when I was a kid. I have fond memories of my old Huffy stingray with a bannana seat. It was really easy to wheelie! To this day I still love to wheelie. My 8 year old daughter thinks I'm crazy. A year ago we were riding and I was doing a wheelie and the front tire fell off. No problem, old dad knew just when to jump over the handle bars (when the forks dug into the pavement). Didn't even get a scratch.

Regarding most influential rider. My dad. He taught me how to ride a motorcycle. He rode and repaired motorcycles when he was a kid back in Hungary.

Andy

·
Registered
988 Posts
I'm double posting (already put this in another thread) because an influence on me (not sure whether good or bad) was the movie 'Stone'.

This was an Australian movie made in the 70's. It starred Ken Shorter as Stone, a cop sent to investigate a series of violent murders in a motorcycle gang (eg. decapitation by wire stretched across the road). Stone also starred Helen Morse as Amanda, his high society girlfriend.

Stone has the distinction of being one of the very few Australian films to assume cult status.

In December 1998, 30,000 motocyclists rode the Sydney-Newcastle freeway to celebrate the 25th anniversary of Sandy Harbutt's film. At the time of its release it was largely rejected by the critics and dismissed by the newly emerging film establishment. Yet it proved to be critic-proof at the box office.

Apparently the film played a role in the formation of the Vietnam Veterans Motorcycle Club here.

·
Registered
660 Posts
I've always thought of Mad Max as being a cult film from Oz. Although the bikers would not be considered influential in any positive way.

·
Registered
706 Posts
Mad Max

Best Regards Team:

JIM: I'm agree with you.! When I saw "Mad Max" for the first time (I was a teen...) is when my interests in Motorcycles was born..! remeber the character Jim Goose? He's was the guy riding the Kawasaki KZ1000 modified for the movie...Seems to me like it was a bike ahead in time. Altough my parents never allowed me to get a motorbike..Anyway if I still were living in Mexico I have never got one...Car drivers do not have any respect for pedestrians and Bike/Motorbike riders..but that's out of the subject..Anyway my 2 cents.

Robert

P.S. "...(eg. decapitation by wire stretched across the road). ..."

wow...that sounds cool to watch...! Will like to try it with the local guys..any volunteers?...

1 - 17 of 17 Posts