RiderForums.com - Kawasaki Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Here is my modified bezel/glare shield. The gauges are from an 05 zx6. The speedo-healer makes it all work. It isn't done yet. I have to finish the rough edges and finish paint. I am undecided if I want to set it flush or put it behind light smoked plexi-glass. Ill decide later.. Enjoy.

OOPS, put this in the wrong forum...

·
Registered
86 Posts
Did you make the surround peice or did you purchase a blank from somewhere?

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I made it. it is the stock bezel unit, cut out top and bottom. foam, fiberglass and some bondo. Its not quite like longbrakes. If I remember correctly he just made a panel to fit into the stock bezel. I cut mine. I am leaning more towards recessing it for a little more flush look.

·
Registered
89 Posts
does everything on the gauge work...shift light, oil temp, gear indicator??

Reactions: Ekendahl

·
Registered
254 Posts
Wow, this is EXACTLY what I was planning on doing myself! I don't know what you do for a living, but you could probably make a few bucks cranking out of a few of these.... I call first! How much :D

I was wondering if you've experimented with the 636 meter stay bracket (last pic) or did you just fab something for the bracket??

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Wow, this is EXACTLY what I was planning on doing myself! I don't know what you do for a living, but you could probably make a few bucks cranking out of a few of these.... I call first! How much :D

I was wondering if you've experimented with the 636 meter stay bracket (last pic) or did you just fab something for the bracket??
It was pretty easy to do. Your on the right track. Let fiberglass and bondo become your best friend. My meter bracket.. I cut it at the up-post and repositioned it. Then re-welded it. I did that initially because the banjo bolt hitting on the stock gauges. But then i put on a 6r cluster. it is just about the right depth. I think i recessed it about 1.5 inches. I still have to finish it. It is just sitting in black primer right now.

As far as making a few bucks.. NAH.... it cost me like 18bucks in materials and $125 for the cluster. Another 100 bucks for the speedo healer plug type I in case anybody cares. I just have too many hobbies. RC Planes and helicopters, motorcycles. My next project is a 23 T-Bucket. (oh yeah)

I am a Registered Nurse.
In my previous career, Aircraft Mech.
Before that, auto theft and fire resto.
Before that it was the AirForce where I was an aircraft electrician.

Now you know!!

·
Registered
254 Posts
It was pretty easy to do. Your on the right track. Let fiberglass and bondo become your best friend. My meter bracket.. I cut it at the up-post and repositioned it. Then re-welded it. I did that initially because the banjo bolt hitting on the stock gauges. But then i put on a 6r cluster. it is just about the right depth. I think i recessed it about 1.5 inches. I still have to finish it. It is just sitting in black primer right now.

As far as making a few bucks.. NAH.... it cost me like 18bucks in materials and $125 for the cluster. Another 100 bucks for the speedo healer plug type I in case anybody cares. I just have too many hobbies. RC Planes and helicopters, motorcycles. My next project is a 23 T-Bucket. (oh yeah)

I am a Registered Nurse.
In my previous career, Aircraft Mech.
Before that, auto theft and fire resto.
Before that it was the AirForce where I was an aircraft electrician.

Now you know!!
That's cool, you're an RN. I'm a pharmacy student right now, but thought about nursing or MD before I settled on pill-pusher.

Anyways, I never learned to work with bondo, but I'm sure I can teach myself. My problem is finding the time to work on it with a fulltime intership and school right around the corner... that's why I asked if you were interested in fabricating a few more:wink:

Just curious, what's your speedo healer calibrated at? I used a speed radar sign and came up with +477.8% Seems pretty accurate from what I can tell

·
Registered
804 Posts
That looks really good, is it all aesthetics or does it have some functions that our stock doesn't? Does it display the gear?

·
Registered
254 Posts
That looks really good, is it all aesthetics or does it have some functions that our stock doesn't? Does it display the gear?
The big difference for me was going from analog to digital. It has all the same functions as stock but you need a SpeedoHealer to calibrate the speedometer. No, it does not display the gear, but you can run a SpeedoHealer and a GI Pro simultaneously. GI=gear indicator

Here's a pretty crappy video I made with it on my bike:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=xFxkxLMkilU

·
Registered
177 Posts
That's really nice!

Forgive my n00bness, but do you have to program the mileage with the cluster swap [I'll assume the mileage is stored in the cluster]? If so how, dealer or is there software you can get to do that stuff?

·
Registered
254 Posts
That's really nice!

Forgive my n00bness, but do you have to program the mileage with the cluster swap [I'll assume the mileage is stored in the cluster]? If so how, dealer or is there software you can get to do that stuff?
You're right, the mileage is stored in the unit, so you inherit the miles from whatever bike you got it from. I suppose you could get a new brain for the unit, but that's like $300+ On that note, I guess you could also buy an OEM cluster with 0 miles on it??? I'm not sure about all that though.

I'm not sure how you can verify/certify mileage afterward though, probably go through the DMV or something.

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
No, No, and there is no gear indicator.

RPM works, speedo needs a healer, temp readout is blank, and low fuel light works.
lol answered that about 3 posts above.

anyway, scraped, what would you do on something like my bike

1 - 20 of 44 Posts