RiderForums.com - Kawasaki Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I wanted to make the switch to a fully synthetic oil and picked up some Mobil 1 high mileage 10w-40. Did I make a mistake with the high mileage?

·
Registered
9,020 Posts
I wanted to make the switch to a fully synthetic oil and picked up some Mobil 1 high mileage 10w-40. Did I make a mistake with the high mileage?
Yes do not use that. Use mobil 1 racing 4t. our bike do not have converters so the additive package is a little better ( more zinc and phos. )
Also the clutches can be affected by the lack of friction modifiers. If you are lucky to have a UDF store nearby they sell the racing 4t for around $6.99 each

·
Registered
3,809 Posts
Yes. Friction modifiers are what the high mileage oils have and they cause severe clutch slippage. As long as the motor oil doesn't have those you're fine.

·
Registered
236 Posts
Yes. Friction modifiers are what the high mileage oils have and they cause severe clutch slippage. As long as the motor oil doesn't have those you're fine.
I use the high mileage Mobil 1 10w-40w w/o any problems. I do not think it has the friction modifiers because it is not a "fuel saving" oil. Bike rides great and shifts fine. I've used it for about 2 years. I buy it at Walmart for $22 for 5 quart bottle.

·
Registered
3,809 Posts
Look on the oil stamp on the back, if it says energy conserving/saving then stay away from it. As a general rule the high mileage oils have extra additives that I wouldn't put in a wet clutch but if it works for you more power to ya.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thats why I bought it. I had checked the stamp and it did not indicate that it was 'energy conserving'. After coming home and thinking about it, I got to wondering if the high mileage choice was really such a good idea.

·
Registered
10,328 Posts
Has anyone tried the Mobil 1 for V-twin engines? Going to use it in the Voyager 17, and would like to use the same oil in the Mean Streak.

·
Registered
3,809 Posts
I've used either mobil 1 or royal purple in all my bikes with zero engine or clutch issues. I just use what I can find locally for a good price. Got a case of royal purple for a steal online though so I've been using that for a while.

·
West Coast Moderator
13,030 Posts
Has anyone tried the Mobil 1 for V-twin engines? Going to use it in the Voyager 17, and would like to use the same oil in the Mean Streak.
I use Mobil 1 20-50 synthetic (non motorcycle specific) and have had no problems. I don't know the recommended weight for the MS though.

·
Registered
9,020 Posts
Yes do not use that. Use mobil 1 racing 4t. our bike do not have converters so the additive package is a little better ( more zinc and phos. )
Also the clutches can be affected by the lack of friction modifiers. If you are lucky to have a UDF store nearby they sell the racing 4t for around $6.99 each
Sorry for the misinformation! Yes the addition of friction modifiers will have an adverse effect on the clutch plates. I should have checked my post b/4 sending.
My bad

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
No problem on the modifier thing.

Mobil 1 V-twin and the racing 4t are $9.99 a quart in my local auto store. Thats why I went for the high mileage.

$10 a quart is seems like rip-off to me. What are others paying?

·
Registered
9,020 Posts
No problem on the modifier thing.

Mobil 1 V-twin and the racing 4t are $9.99 a quart in my local auto store. Thats why I went for the high mileage.

$10 a quart is seems like rip-off to me. What are others paying?
Same here but if you have an United Dairy Farmers (UDF ) in your area you can get both for $6.99 qt. I have tried Lucas Syn. motorcycle 10w40 and would not recommend it. It has a very bad sulfur gear oil smell that I could smell all the time out of the crankcase tube.

·
Registered
266 Posts
1 - 17 of 17 Posts