RiderForums.com - Kawasaki Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
660 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently bought a 2001 ZR-7S and I love. The only complaint I have is the position of the mirrors. I either have a great view of my arms or the lanes beside my but I'm totally blind behind. This morning I had a MC cop come up behind me with lights blazing and I never saw him until he started to pass me. Glad he was after someone else. :D

Does anyone have any suggestions?

TIA

·
West Coast Moderator
12,996 Posts
My '00 7 has much the same problem. I haven't seen any mirrors I like, so I just position myself in the traffic lanes for the best view depending on the situation. Try to stay out of the very center of the lane you're in and it will help some.

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
bar end mirrors are nice but require you to change the bars since the stockers don't have open ends. i've seen them on the net for as little as $15 each, in a local shop for only $12! it's on my 'to do' list.

scott

·
Wheelie for Safety
1,550 Posts
Hi Jet,

Welcome to the board.

I must say that it took a little while to get used to the mirrors on my ZR-7S also. I got mine new 2 months ago and now have 1,800 miles on her. I now have no problem knowing whats behind me, I look often to see what is coming up from way behind me.

I mostly look at my left mirror and when I straighten out my arm a little the view is much better.

I love the mirrors on the fairing because you barely have to move your eyes to look at them, that is why I would never consider bar end mirrors.

Andy

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
good point andy, you do have to look further away from straight ahead to use bar end mirrors. i think it will be ok for me. my cruiser mirrors were farther out than the zr-7's and provided a much better view of what was behind me without being hard to use. i want the bar ends partly for style and partly for function. but it will cut down my lane splitting abilities. i also think they're better suited to the look of the 7 than the 7s.

another idea that's been mentioned here on the board are the little convex blind spot mirrors. since the inside corners of the stock mirrors are usually blocked by your elbows this is a good palce to put them.

a final thought: forget about what is directly behind you. adjust the mirrors so you can see what is one lane over in each direction. not my personal preference but a possibility.

scott :)

·
MotoMacGyver
2,546 Posts
I've gotten used to just dropping an elbow inwards. It does take a while to get used to not being able to see directly behind you like a car. I'm not sure you can do that with any motorcycle.

I'll agree with Scott that looking in the lanes beside you is almost more important to me than looking directly behind. I like to know at all times if I have an escape route to the sides, if someone is gaining on me in another lane, etc. When slowing down, I'll just drop an elbow and check my rear. It took a while to get used to at first when I first started riding (about a year ago), but it's just second nature now.

When I'm a "sitting duck" stopped at a light and no one is behind me, I'll turn the bars a little to see more behind me to see if that cager is going to ram me from behind as I sit there at the light.

Welcome to the board.

Emrah

·
Registered
660 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks. I'll get used to it. If not, maybe I'll find aftermarket mirrors which are an inch or two longer.

Jim

·
West Coast Moderator
12,996 Posts
Hey JET, how far from the Ca/AZ line are you located? (I'm too lazy to load the map).

·
Registered
660 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
It is about 2.5 - 3 hours to the border. Some of the most boring interstate miles outside of the great plains.

·
West Coast Moderator
12,996 Posts
Ain't that the truth. I was over there in Eloy a while back. Nice view of the cactus and tumble weed.

·
Wheelie for Safety
1,550 Posts
Tom mounted larger mirrors. He eliminated his blind spot and got better wind protection to boot...

Andy

·
Dirty Harry.... Moderator
9,816 Posts
Hey Andy, what happened to my neighbors house...and the rest of my nice little neighborhood? I definately need to send you the updated pics of my bike with new slip on and fairing. Tom :D :cool:

·
West Coast Moderator
12,996 Posts
Dang Tom, with a good tail wind and you can pull in the clutch and coast for a while. I bet them suckers really knock the heck out of your gas mileage under normal power (no tail wind) :laugh:

·
9,816 Posts
Yea, but I take em off for night riding. You would not believe the glow of headlights reflecting off those things, caused a few cages to crash behind me! Tom :laugh: :D :cool:

BTW, Andy the new pics are coming soon!! and I want the mirrors, horns, fastbag and extended peg feelers on them.

·
West Coast Moderator
12,996 Posts
:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: That's a good one!
Hey, you do have one weird neighborhood. There's a warehouse next door!?

·
9,816 Posts
Yea, and I got it under constant surveillance -- something definately going on over there. Problem is I'm upstairs on this site so I probably miss all the illegal stuff going on. Gotta run downstairs and give the binocs to the wife! Tom :cool: :rolleyes:

·
Registered
660 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
There should be a gallery for Andy's pictures. Some are just priceless.

Jim

·
Registered
360 Posts
I second that. Andy is our 'Wierd Al' of the forum; nobody spins a pic better.

Who knows...Andy's top-20 or Classic Andy (vol-I)

1 - 20 of 22 Posts