RiderForums.com - Kawasaki Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was moving my bike from a parking lot to covered parking because the snow was getting worse. It's about a quarter mile trip down like an apartment road. I knocked all the ice off the bike and headed on my way. I used only the clutch and had both of my feet extended to the side just as a precaution. Well in the last 50 ft to my porch I dropped it :( luckily I was only going about 4 mph on a turn when the front tire slid out I put my fut down to hold it up, but it just slid on the ice with the weight of the bike, and it went down.. It broke off the left mirror and scuffed up my frame slider, which did it's job nicely.. There is just one hardly noticeable scratch on the left fender, and a small crack on the front where the mirror broke off. I was a little surprised how easily the mirror broke off.. The only thing I am mad about is the crack near the mirror. I'm very happy with the yoshi frame sliders, they protected better than i thought

Lesson I learned was don't drive in snow or ice if you can help it, and move your bike into cover before a snowstorm haha Does anyone know where to get a get deal on stock mirrors for a 2013, or have any suggestions for aftermarket mirrors?

Here are some pics of the damage.
PhotoNov24113915AM.jpg
PhotoNov24113906AM.jpg
PhotoNov24113900AM.jpg

And here is before the crash
PhotoNov24111507AM.jpg

·
Registered
3,180 Posts
That sucks. Back tire didn't slip? Maybe the tread paint helped.:wink:

I had a couple bikes I used to ride in the snow, my dad used to encourage me to do so, to break up the snow in our long driveway. But those bikes were way lighter than a Ninja 650, plus I didn't really care if I dropped them since they were dirt bikes.

·
Registered
493 Posts
Bummer. Dang - you must be up in North or West Texas, as no snow in Austin today - just wet and 36 degrees.

As for the damages, my suggestions for easy repairs. I hate when stuff like that happens and have learned to accept the minor imperfections as part of the ownership process.

1) Frame sliders - easy touch up with black paint.
2) scratch on fairing looks like it may buff out
3) crack near the mirror base. A few options: Just leave it or mask off the top portion of the fairing and paint it with some plastic-dip. That would add some contrast, and you could always just peal it away later if you wanted to fix/paint it to the original color.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
That sucks. Back tire didn't slip? Maybe the tread paint helped.:wink:
I think I was just going a little too fast on the turn haha surprisingly the back didn't, I 100% confident the paint provided perfect traction lol (just kidding, I did a little burnout so the back would be warmer)

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Bummer. Dang - you must be up in North or West Texas, as no snow in Austin today - just wet and 36 degrees.

As for the damages, my suggestions for easy repairs. I hate when stuff like that happens and have learned to accept the minor imperfections as part of the ownership process.
Yep good old Lubbock Texas.. It was almost 80 Thursday and it's been sleeting and snowing since. I too have come to accept the the minor imperfections, as It's going to have 20k+ miles on it when I sell it anyways. Thanks for the tips, I think I might just leave the crack as is, It's not very noticeable. I just hope it doesn't expand.

·
Registered
1,389 Posts
Yep good old Lubbock Texas.. It was almost 80 Thursday and it's been sleeting and snowing since. I too have come to accept the the minor imperfections, as It's going to have 20k+ miles on it when I sell it anyways. Thanks for the tips, I think I might just leave the crack as is, It's not very noticeable. I just hope it doesn't expand.
Logan,

That blows! Ahhhh, Good Advise from Dia! Cycle, you're sick of course...........for a long time! Woot Woot

All the above but after seeing the price of Stock Mirrors, and the hassle of changing them, treat yourself to those cool aftermarkets that are a little longer and have L.E.D. lights in the front for more visibility! Forgot the thread, but ordered a pair myself! As soon as the teens warm up, I'll go back in the garage and open the package if you like!

See and Be seen!

Cheers!

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Logan,
All the above but after seeing the price of Stock Mirrors, and the hassle of changing them, treat yourself to those cool aftermarkets that are a little longer and have L.E.D. lights in the front for more visibility! Forgot the thread, but ordered a pair myself! As soon as the teens warm up, I'll go back in the garage and open the package if you like!
Cheers!
Holy cow, you weren't joking about the price of the stock mirrors.. $50 for one, plus shipping. I'll have to give my dealer a call and see how much they charge, but more than likely I will be going with the LED lighted ones.

·
Registered
2,579 Posts
To keep a crack from propagating, you need to drill a little hole at the end of it. It won't be pretty though. Or you could do a proper plastics repair and plastic-weld it back together.

·
Registered
1,332 Posts
To keep a crack from propagating, you need to drill a little hole at the end of it. It won't be pretty though. Or you could do a proper plastics repair and plastic-weld it back together.
You can do this or if you don't want to have the patch work showing and prefer just a not so noticeable crack you can use something plastic welded to the underside of the fairing to support the area from cracking further. Hopefully that made some sense.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
You can do this or if you don't want to have the patch work showing and prefer just a not so noticeable crack you can use something plastic welded to the underside of the fairing to support the area from cracking further. Hopefully that made some sense.
I would definitely prefer it not to show haha I'll look into this.

·
Registered
587 Posts
Logan,

That blows! Ahhhh, Good Advise from Dia! Cycle, you're sick of course...........for a long time! Woot Woot

See and Be seen!

Cheers!
Got a link to some longer mirrors that fit the stock base? Or will bolt up?

·
Registered
90 Posts
Sometimes brake and clutch levers have a V-notch molded in for a controlled break so you still have some lever to get home instead of snapping the whole thing at the base. Might be a great idea for mirror stalks if it saves the cost of a nasty fairing crack.

·
Registered
970 Posts
:( I have had both mirrors break off. I was facing down hill and thought I was in N so I let go of the clutch and down she went.
The first one was whenI hit the break to hard and the front turned and down I went. It was a choice to go down or hit the car in front. I dropped the bike because I didn't want a claim.

·
Registered
320 Posts
Check Ebay for new mirrors, I busted one of them and I think I got the pair for about the same price as one oem. When you change one out, you may want to consider swapping the mounting brackets. When I switched mine the head of the bolt was away from the windscreen, making it much easier to tighten.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts