RiderForums.com - Kawasaki Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 78 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone, I just got a "new" 2007 650R only 200 miles on the bike, and I used to own a zx11, and now I feel the need to amp up this bike some. So far I came up with a PCIII, full arrow exhaust, and a Piper air filter. The only mod that I came up with was capping the PAIR valve. Any ideas or opinions on this build would be greatly appreciated. I've got a large credit w/ a performance shop and will order my performance package soon.

Thanks in advance

·
Registered
254 Posts
Hi everyone, I just got a "new" 2007 650R only 200 miles on the bike, and I used to own a zx11, and now I feel the need to amp up this bike some. So far I came up with a PCIII, full arrow exhaust, and a Piper air filter. The only mod that I came up with was capping the PAIR valve. Any ideas or opinions on this build would be greatly appreciated. I've got a large credit w/ a performance shop and will order my performance package soon.

Thanks in advance

Welcome from WA, nice looking bike. I would first be questioning "new 2007 650R only 200 miles on the bike" what is the story behind this, did you know the guy? Sounds like you should start with maintenance if it has been sitting for that long. Your mods sound like a good choice, be sure to post up pic's.

·
Registered
228 Posts
I'd do the typical exhaust/controller/filter and give up on go-fast for the bike and focus on improving braking and suspension. It won't be a ZX-11, or even a ZX-6, but what it will be is a damn good motorcycle.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Okay, great, thanks for the input. The newness comes from a showroom model that was sold to a custormer, and they didn't make their payments so its a repo bike. After the auction purchase I immediatly changed all fluids and chucked a new set of tires on, and had the valves checked/adjusted. I know that it will never match up to my ZX11, I've notice the older I get the smaller bike I get (ie ZX11, 750, now 650R). The nimbleness of this bike is amazing. I just want a little more umph!! What suspension would you reccomend? I'm 6'2" 275lbs?

Nice to meet another Worshintonian as well lol Lib'in

Just ordered the performance package, and thanks to the Ninja650shop the shop I ordered through price matched everything. Wasn't to bad.

Should I do the PAIR valve mod?

·
Registered
54 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Sweet, I'll look into it, thank you. I'm going to get the PCIII tonight, and apperently Arrow has one hell of a backorder so I won't see the exhaust system till September at best. Grrrrr :yell:

So back to work on my rock crawler....

·
Registered
254 Posts
Okay, great, thanks for the input. The newness comes from a showroom model that was sold to a custormer, and they didn't make their payments so its a repo bike. After the auction purchase I immediatly changed all fluids and chucked a new set of tires on, and had the valves checked/adjusted. I know that it will never match up to my ZX11, I've notice the older I get the smaller bike I get (ie ZX11, 750, now 650R). The nimbleness of this bike is amazing. I just want a little more umph!! What suspension would you reccomend? I'm 6'2" 275lbs?

Nice to meet another Worshintonian as well lol Lib'in

Just ordered the performance package, and thanks to the Ninja650shop the shop I ordered through price matched everything. Wasn't to bad.

Should I do the PAIR valve mod?

Sounds like you got a good deal on the bike :righton:. It is up to you on pluging the pair really, some do some don't, I didn't see it necessary . Another thing you might look at is the sport bars if you didn't order them, it makes the world of difference in riding position/handling, #1 mod on the 650R for me.

·
Registered
2,277 Posts
Changing the gearing can be an affordable upgrade that makes a big difference.

Windscreen, Sportbars, Pro-grips, gearing, pipe/PCIII, tail kit, HH pads, Spiegler lines....those are a few things that I would think about doing.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Ahh this is great, you guys are awsome. I should have labeled the thread, "Build My Bike"!! Okay, so the sports bars: i'm not to fond of the current position, but I don't want to have to lean in any further, so tilting the sports bars up would be acceptable/not acceptable (clearance wise) and whats the brand name most reccomended? I don't know if I want to change the gearing i'm happy with the current set up. As for the rear shock, has anyone put an Elka on their bike? Penske, is a great shock from what i've witnessed, but I am also a Dune freak and run Elka shocks on my Raptors. Don't know how well it would do on a sport bike though..

Thanks so much for everyones advice, it helps alot....

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
One more thing, whats the deal with removing the snorkels? Good idea or not? Gonna hold off on the pair valve plug after I get some miles on the bike with exhaust, pc3, and filter.

·
Registered
152 Posts
As for the rear shock, has anyone put an Elka on their bike? Penske, is a great shock from what i've witnessed, but I am also a Dune freak and run Elka shocks on my Raptors. Don't know how well it would do on a sport bike though.
I ran a double adjustable Penske and then switched it out for a triple adjustable Elka. The Elka is a better value for sure but both will work for a street bike. I am partial to Elka since Tige at cyclemall will build them to your spec and has been working on about 5 650R's and has them dialed in really well. Cyclemall is related to Catalyst Reaction suspension so they know their stuff. I really like the triple adjustable approach since we don't have a linkage suspension. Dialing in a bit more low speed compression and less high speed seems to work the trick with this bike (assuming you use a longer shock like the Penske or Elka).

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Okay, so I got my PCIII last night, and was informed, that I won't be getting my header till October now, but will be getting my Arrow exhaust slip-on in a couple weeks. So for now I'm going to be running the PCIII, a slip-on pipe, and a performance air filter, my question now is after its all installed, should I do any air box, mods such as pulling the snorkels? Power Commander said that I should use the same map as the 2 bros slip on w/ air filter. Does that sound accurate?

·
Registered
1,326 Posts
There is no "brand name" for the SportBars as they are only made by one brand... Ninja650Shop makes the SportBars and they cannot be "rotated upward".

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
There's a good possibility, that I am mistaken, on the bar brands. I looked at a set of the "clip-on" bars and really didn't like the positioning of them, I'm a big guy 6'2" so lowering the bars at all tends to be very uncomfortable. I finished painting my rock crawler, so either tonight or tomorrow i'm installing the PCIII and pipercross air filter, as well as pulling the snorkels. Any opinions on a good set of bars the won't lower my riding position?

Thanks again....

·
Registered
53 Posts
if you want a better riding position the sport bars are definately the way to go...and if you dont want the problem of it being lower.. there is always the option of putting a riser in there as well..
just thought i would through that out there

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Great thank you Combat. Okay so here's a dumn rookie question, (well verification) I installed the PCIII tonight, and I am wanting to pull out the snorkels, and I need to verify that the ones on the airbox itself before the air filter are the "snorkels" and the rubber tubes on the carbs/injectors are the velocity stacks, Right?

1 - 20 of 78 Posts