RiderForums.com - Kawasaki Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
4,624 Posts
It's a nicer looking tire with a tread pattern similar to the PP3. With a lot of luck it'll feel good in the last 30% of life and end up being a nice tire.

·
Registered
1,603 Posts
It's a nicer looking tire with a tread pattern similar to the PP3. With a lot of luck it'll feel good in the last 30% of life and end up being a nice tire.
If they keep the grip quality over the lifespan like a Z8, then I might consider doing a PR4 for next autumn (or road trip of +2500 km) ... otherwise I just will stick with 2CT or PP3's.

It's about time motorad does another group tire test. I could relate with those the most of the ones I've read. Must be also the only mag that tests them so extensively.
And with the Angel GT's, new Bridgestones & PR4 it might give some surprising results.

·
Registered
4,624 Posts
If they keep the grip quality over the lifespan like a Z8, then I might consider doing a PR4 for next autumn (or road trip of +2500 km) ... otherwise I just will stick with 2CT or PP3's.

It's about time motorad does another group tire test. I could relate with those the most of the ones I've read. Must be also the only mag that tests them so extensively.
And with the Angel GT's, new Bridgestones & PR4 it might give some surprising results.
Yep. Can't wait to read that one. I think the PR4s are aimed squarely at the Angel GTs.

·
Registered
571 Posts
Hoping Michelin made some subtle changes to the profile as well. Their current tires perform very well but to me feel a bit numb in spirited cornering.

Reactions: czeeb

·
Registered
571 Posts
I've got 5000 miles on my Dunlop roadsmart IIs. They handle nicely and still have plenty of tread.
Roadsmart II is my favorite ST tire so far.

·
Registered
77 Posts
I just bought them. Waiting for spring :) uploadfromtaptalk1392822199771.jpg

·
Registered
1,567 Posts
Makes me wonder how much of a difference the medium compound on the sides will make in grip on the 4 vs the soft on the 3. I really do not like getting squirrelly in a turn. My Conti Road attacks did that to me quite frequently. That was a tire I really did not like.

·
Registered
441 Posts
Makes me wonder how much of a difference the medium compound on the sides will make in grip on the 4 vs the soft on the 3. I really do not like getting squirrelly in a turn. My Conti Road attacks did that to me quite frequently. That was a tire I really did not like.

Less grippy side compound might be balanced out by increased surface area. Also, the compound transition no longer takes place near the edge of the tire so even if it was, ultimately, less grip, it would probably be less squirrelly.

·
Registered
1,395 Posts
I must say, PR4s are the Michelins first tire to officially do what I did for years. I use to always run a Pilot Power front and Pilot Road in back so a) both wore out about the same time and b) if a tire was going to slide I wanted it to be the rear first. That's because if the rear tire slides first, I can usually fix it. If front tire slides first, I fall down.

Looks like PR4s will most likely be the next tires on my N1k. Thanks for the info!

·
Registered
2,110 Posts
I just mounted a PR4 on the front of my BMW but have not ridden it yet. It has a PR3 on back. I'm anxious to see how the PR4 feels but won't have a chance to ride it for a couple of weeks still. The sipes are bigger than a PR3 and it looks like there could be less squirm because the sipes are also further apart. The PR3 never felt quite right to me on that bike because it has very sensitive steering (feels like power steering).

·
Registered
152 Posts
The PR3 never felt quite right to me on that bike because it has very sensitive steering (feels like power steering).
Had pr3s on front/back. The back tire is fine for me, great mileage and good wet/dry grip. The front pr3 I had to change. It would get a shimmy when it got light, either on liftoff or touchdown. Others had the same experience.

·
Registered
8,695 Posts
2011, yes...I felt that too with the pr3. I have a steering damper, though, so an extra click made it go away.

So, what did you replace your pr3 with? I'd like to do the same. I'm nto too concerned wit mileage. If I get 3-4000, or so, its good enough. Is there a good front I can use and leave the pr3 out back?

·
Registered
152 Posts
2011, yes...I felt that too with the pr3.
So, what did you replace your pr3 with?
Dunlop sportmax q2, seemed ok but i don't stress it that much. The jury is still out as i need spring to come for more miles and my new ivans reflash to be tested further...:cool:

·
Registered
48 Posts
Just installed a PR4 front tire the other day. Hadn't had a chance to test it yet though.
But one thing bothered me: The tire is way out of balance. Tried turning the tire on the rim, but that didn't change a thing. Never had that problem with my previous PR3's

·
Registered
30 Posts
I don't know which to choose between the PR3's and the PR4's.... I like riding on curvy roads on my days off, but I also go to work with my N1K on summer days, and it takes me 50 kilometers of straight freeway to get there ( that makes 100 kilometers of freeway per shift)..... Up to now I was riding on the OEM Battlax 016 tires, 190/50 R17.

Can someone help me ?

·
Registered
8,695 Posts
You'll love either..the stock tires are horrible. With that much commuting, I think' I'd try the 4's. The harder rubber in the center should last longer. You knwo they wont send out a crap tire, no matter what. They say 20% more range, so what the hell....You still get the softer side for cornering.

Based only on this video. I like my 3's just fine.

Michelin Pilot Road 4 Tires Review at RevZilla.com - YouTube

·
Registered
30 Posts
Thanks cannon. I know the PR4's would be the right choice based on my commuting... What scares me is that the PR4's rear tire has a medium-hard-medium compound , instead of soft-medium-soft for the PR3's rear tire....I know I'm not on a track with a ZX-10 R, but i still like bending over "a little" in my curves.... Will the PR4's provide me enough grip ?

1 - 20 of 29 Posts