RiderForums.com - Kawasaki Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an opportunity to buy a 2007 VN2000 Classic in black with low miles on it. Has anyone here owned one of these? What's your take on this model?

Thanks.

·
Registered
3,348 Posts
Lot of power..but a lot of weight. Most reviews favored the Mean Streak over it..due to being more of an overall better package. The only reason to buy one IMO is if you ride a lot of highway/longer distance...or if you just want bragging rights.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah. I don't like riding around the city all that much. I love the highway! I have the Streak set up pretty comfy for a long trip. Just wondering if the VN2000 would be that much better. My only beef with the Meanie is the lack of power. I am going to give it another go now that I put a Chuckster intake on it. Just waiting for the snow to melt.

·
Registered
3,348 Posts
Yeah. I don't like riding around the city all that much. I love the highway! I have the Streak set up pretty comfy for a long trip. Just wondering if the VN2000 would be that much better. My only beef with the Meanie is the lack of power. I am going to give it another go now that I put a Chuckster intake on it. Just waiting for the snow to melt.
Sounds like you might be a good candidate for one. Personally..if I were looking for a faster..more highway oriented ride..I would look into a 1400 Concours.

·
Registered
2,795 Posts
I have an opportunity to buy a 2007 VN2000 Classic in black with low miles on it. Has anyone here owned one of these? What's your take on this model?

Thanks.
I've had both. Some background first. My Streak was set up to produce about as much useable power one can massage out of a Streak without modding internals, nitrous or turbo. I rode solo on the Streak. As the wife became more interested in riding I did significant mods to the Streak to accommodate comfort for both the wife and I as well as storage. These mods went beyond what most Streak owners do. I did and continue to ride about 60% city, 40% open highway.

The V2K is a different experience than the Streak. The power is quite different than any other bike. Some say they've ridden powerful sport bikes and therefore know about power. I'm telling you, Meanie101, that it is different. It is something you have to experience to appreciate.

The V2K has a steeper learning curve to master it than any other bike I've owned. But once you do, it is quite nimble and a blast to ride. One problem in your decision is that advice comes from people from either end of the spectrum- those that have sat on one or maybe ridden a few hours on one or from people who have covered many miles on one.

Handling and braking is superb considering the bike's size and stance. I've never had a problem with spirited curvy mountain roads riding two up. Gearing is quite different than a Streak. First gear is a little shorter. On the other end, 5th gear doesn't really come into play til you're riding steady 75mph. The motor's torque makes for less shifting. You can pretty much do anything from cruise to passing in third or forth gear from 30mph to 75mph.

The two bikes have different personalities. For what each does, each excels. For me, I wanted better two up capability, more room for me and still enjoy the solo cruiser experience whenever desired. The V2K addressed all of these perfectly for me. But you won't go wrong with either bike. Both were designed and built well for their purpose. As far as bragging rights, well, that's an issue for people with inferiority complexes.

·
Registered
1,799 Posts
Nice write-up Diamond Jim....it takes someone who has owned and ridden a specific model to really know the ins and outs. One thing I like about that monster motor is that it is a pushrod overhead valve power plant with 4 valve heads, injection and belt final drive and meaning it has no cam chains and tensioners to wear out. And, I do believe to this day that the V2K did have the bragging rights for the biggest V-Twin motor ever in production form, a full 2053 cc's worth! That's a lot of low-end thump-get you moving right now torque. Set up right, could make a real comfy and roomy highway tourer, a real mile eater for the long haul. It would be nice to actually be able to have a meanstreak and the mighty V2K sitting side by side in your garage.

·
Registered
2,795 Posts
Thanks. It's a raw kind of power. Kawasaki designed it that way. From literally feeling the movement of the pistons to the cable actuated clutch (which was intentional vs hydraulic to feel more connected to the engine).

I like to think of it as old school muscle car power. There are lots of new cars that produce 300+ hp. They have a very smooth power delivery and are a blast to drive. But they don't give you the same raw experience as driving a 1970 Buick GSX Stage 1, Plymouth Hemi 'Cuda, or a Chevy SS 454. Take one of those cars, update everything on it such as suspension, braking, electronics, etc., and you've got something similar to the V2K.

One caveat is cost of routine maintenance, mainly tires and oil. The bike eats rear tires. Getting 5k on a quality rear tire like a Metzler 880 is average. Lesser quality will get you 4k while some have reported 6k with other brands/models. Fronts will get 10k average. The stock front is a 150. Some install a reversed 150 rear tire on the front for longevity. Oil change is about 5.2 quarts.

If you do look hard at a V2K, ask if the owner knows if the it has had euro gears installed (applies to all years), resistor mod (04-07), or rear wheel bearing upgrade (early 04 models).

·
Registered
3,348 Posts
Big interesting wall of text..taken from a local Craigslist ad..."One of the biggest bikes on the road! KAWASAKI VULCAN 2000: TWO LITERS OF MUSCLE Kawasakis Vulcan 2000 cruiser heralded by media and owners alike as a perfect combination of power style and superb craftsmanship has this year seen its popularity grow to encompass two additional family members the Vulcan 2000 Classic and the Vulcan 2000 Classic LT. Matched with the original Vulcan 2000 and the Vulcan 2000 Limited Kawasaki now offers four separate variations of this massive V-twin cruiser. Styling queues that put the Vulcan 2000 at the forefront of cruiser design include a powerful four-bulb projector-type headlight encased in a signature chrome Nacelle headlight. Adding to its high-end status is the chrome instrument panel with its large-face speedometer; mounted on a stretched 5.5-gallon fuel tank the V-shaped panel keeps the rider informed with an LCD display and warning lamps. The bucket-type saddle with locking passenger seat complements the Vulcan 2000s long curving silhouette while providing all-day riding comfort. Power for these stylish cruisers come from a 125ci V-twin engine featuring a bore and stroke of 103mm x 123.2mm forged pistons alloy-steel connecting rods huge 220mm flywheels dual cams located within the one-piece crankcase and right-side pushrods actuating four valves per cylinder. Notably Kawasaki engineers chose to utilize a push rod design in order to reduce engine height which directly contributes to the Vulcan 2000s low center of gravity and relatively low seat height. Plus hydraulic valve lash adjusters automatically maintain zero valve clearance for smoother quieter operation. Cruiser enthusiasts will appreciate the Vulcan 2000s classic V-twin sound thanks in part to the single-pin crankshaft while dual counter balancers and rubber engine mounts keep it running smoothly. To provide sharp throttle response at any rpm the Vulcan 2000s electronic engine control unit (ECU) manages electronic fuel injection with its dual 46mm throttle bodies and sub-throttle valves as well as the iridium spark plug ignition system. The sub-throttle valves help provide the Vulcan 2000 with a smooth linear power band while the highly sophisticated fuel injection systems fine atomizing injectors deliver an ultra-fine mist of fuel/air mixture to the cylinders for greater combustion efficiency increased power and optimum fuel economy. The top quarter of the V-twin engine is liquid cooled while temperatures for the bottom three-quarters of the engine are managed by stylish and highly functional cooling fins. Plus the engine and transmission feature built-in oil and water pumps with the transmission also serving as the oil tank. The fuel injection systems air cleaner is nestled between the cylinders which feature a black matte finish and the cooling fins are polished to a bright metallic shine. Dual exhaust pipes and mufflers emit a distinctive V-twin rumble and include honeycomb catalyzers to reduce emissions. A Hyvo primary drive chain transfers torque from the big V-twin engine to the five-speed transmission case which houses a multi-plate wet clutch. To fully benefit from the Vulcan 2000s advanced electronics a gear position sensor in the transmission sends signals to the ECU further enhancing fuel injection volume and ignition timing and thus improving performance. Final drive to the rear wheel is provided by smooth quiet and low maintenance belt drive. The V-twin engine is utilized as a stressed member of the Vulcan 2000s steel double-cradle frame which features a large-diameter box-section single-tube backbone. Coupled to the frame is a simple but elegant rear steel pipe swingarm suspension with a direct-action single shock. The rear suspension provides 3.9 inches of travel and includes spring preload and rebound adjustment. Up front large 49mm forks provide more precise steering feedback and 5.9 inches of travel. The Vulcan 2000 motorcycle rides on bright cast aluminum 16-inch wheels with a 150/80 front radial tire and a huge 200/60 rear radial tire. Dual 300mm front disc brakes with four-piston calipers and a single rear disc brake with two-piston caliper bring this big cruiser to smooth powerful stops."

·
Registered
2,059 Posts
I have and own both shh don't tell the Wife she thinks she owns the Meanstreak. Like Jim said once you get used to the Weight of this thing it really handles very good for such a big bike. When you feel the torque of this thing it really does put a smile on your face you can feel the power pulses thru your body like no other bike I have ever ridden. If and when you drop the hammer on this thing from 1st to 3rd gear with some quick shifting this thing will get sideways but the bike is so big it tracks really well it gives you plenty of notice it's time to counter steer it will leave smaller liter sport bikes in it's wake from a dead stop. On the highway there is nothing better it just pounds miles and eats asphalt. One thing is you have to pick and choose where you park this thing because it is a beast to turn around. They should have put a reverse gear in this monster. Also I have yet to see 4.000 miles on a rear tire. My first set of Dunlops I got 1800 miles and it was toast. I have since put on Pirelli Night Dragons and they seem to be doing a little better. In town the streak wins hands down on the open road it's no contest the V2K is like a runaway Freight Train and it can haul the mail all day long. When I get off the V2K and jump on the Streak the streak feels like Mini a Bike. You won't go wrong with whatever you choose both great Machines.

·
Registered
2,795 Posts
I have and own both shh don't tell the Wife she thinks she owns the Meanstreak. Like Jim said once you get used to the Weight of this thing it really handles very good for such a big bike. When you feel the torque of this thing it really does put a smile on your face you can feel the power pulses thru your body like no other bike I have ever ridden. If and when you drop the hammer on this thing from 1st to 3rd gear with some quick shifting this thing will get sideways but the bike is so big it tracks really well it gives you plenty of notice it's time to counter steer it will leave smaller liter sport bikes in it's wake from a dead stop. On the highway there is nothing better it just pounds miles and eats asphalt. One thing is you have to pick and choose where you park this thing because it is a beast to turn around. They should have put a reverse gear in this monster. Also I have yet to see 4.000 miles on a rear tire. My first set of Dunlops I got 1800 miles and it was toast. I have since put on Pirelli Night Dragons and they seem to be doing a little better. In town the streak wins hands down on the open road it's no contest the V2K is like a runaway Freight Train and it can haul the mail all day long. When I get off the V2K and jump on the Streak the streak feels like Mini a Bike. You won't go wrong with whatever you choose both great Machines.
Very true on the parking and backing up. Imagine you have a Goldwing with a broken reverse gear. Use that knowledge to pick your parking wisely. Another thing is gravel. I don't like to mix street bikes and gravel. But I have a 1000 foot gravel driveway with a pair of 90 degree turns, each at the apex of a hill. I've got to ride it twice every time I go out. I putt along it in 2nd gear while caressing the rear brake. 1st gear and a sneeze and you'll be nursing the back strain you got picking the bike up.

·
Registered
2,059 Posts
parking

Very true on the parking and backing up. Imagine you have a Goldwing with a broken reverse gear. Use that knowledge to pick your parking wisely. Another thing is gravel. I don't like to mix street bikes and gravel. But I have a 1000 foot gravel driveway with a pair of 90 degree turns, each at the apex of a hill. I've got to ride it twice every time I go out. I putt along it in 2nd gear while caressing the rear brake. 1st gear and a sneeze and you'll be nursing the back strain you got picking the bike up.
I have a concrete wall that runs the majority of the length of my Driveway. So I have to either back it in when I get home or turn it around when I get ready to leave. It's a pain in the arse to say the least. Trying to Develop a turn about. My new house should be much easier. Also yes gravel can pucker your bung at times.

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
I have a concrete wall that runs the majority of the length of my Driveway. So I have to either back it in when I get home or turn it around when I get ready to leave. It's a pain in the arse to say the least. Trying to Develop a turn about. My new house should be much easier. Also yes gravel can pucker your bung at times.
Not sure if I'm picturing it right as to why you need to turn it around when you leave. I pull up into my garage then back out down the driveway.

·
Registered
980 Posts
Even Batman rolls on a V2K!

Land vehicle Vehicle Motorcycle Motor vehicle Cruiser

·
Registered
980 Posts
What a minute? Could it be?

Land vehicle Motorcycle Vehicle Motor vehicle Automotive tire

·
Registered
2,059 Posts
Not sure if I'm picturing it right as to why you need to turn it around when you leave. I pull up into my garage then back out down the driveway.
I guess you will have to take a picture because I am not doing it you will get run over by a Car or worse yet a Tractor Trailer. I will try to explain it Concrete wall about 7ft tall the length of my driveway on both sides one car width wide leading out to Route 17c. Should I push my Bike backwards out into the road get it pointed in the right direction then jump on. Or should I turn my Bike around in the Driveway and ride into the road and take off when the road is clear. Can you see me know?

·
Registered
1,641 Posts
I guess you will have to take a picture because I am not doing it you will get run over by a Car or worse yet a Tractor Trailer. I will try to explain it Concrete wall about 7ft tall the length of my driveway on both sides one car width wide leading out to Route 17c. Should I push my Bike backwards out into the road get it pointed in the right direction then jump on. Or should I turn my Bike around in the Driveway and ride into the road and take off when the road is clear. Can you see me know?
That certainly clears it up for me! I was trying to build a picture in my mind of all the different layouts you could have and what you just described is actually worse than what i could imagine...

1 - 20 of 48 Posts