RiderForums.com - Kawasaki Motorcycle Forum banner

21 - 27 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
674 Posts
Any of you experiencing these types of problems with a PC3 equipped engine might want to check the TPS connection to the PC3. Very common for problems at that connection especially if the crimp splice provided with the PC3 was used. Any resistance at that connection will cause problems.

·
Registered
5,954 Posts
Any of you experiencing these types of problems with a PC3 equipped engine might want to check the TPS connection to the PC3. Very common for problems at that connection especially if the crimp splice provided with the PC3 was used. Any resistance at that connection will cause problems.
For what it's worth, if you don't have a soldering iron and good rosin-core solder (thin) borrow it, buy it and solder that connection. It's only a matter of time before that type of splice fails.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Well, I was having a little surging also probably helped out by me playing with my Dobeck 3.5 to much. Took the chuckster off and noticed the black carbon buid up around the butterflies. Took a old toothbrush and seafoam to it and cleaned her up real good. Now the butterflies seat perfect again and I have a little better throttle feel and NO surge issues now. Thanks for the info. Phil
just found this article...
http://www.gadgetjq.com/tb_cleaning.htm

can't wait to get home and try it out!

·
Registered
59 Posts
I just bought a 03' Mean streak and have noticed the 2K surge and just chalked it up to the bike having Vance and Hines short shots and no Power Commander.

Kinda odd though the pipes look as it's running rich... Pipes are quite black ;)

·
Registered
474 Posts
I just bought a 03' Mean streak and have noticed the 2K surge and just chalked it up to the bike having Vance and Hines short shots and no Power Commander.

Kinda odd though the pipes look as it's running rich... Pipes are quite black ;)
Funny you'd mention that. The general consensus is that these engines are set to run as lean as possible from the factory. And it's probably true. However with stock air intake, V&H Longshots and no fuel controller, I had a light accumulation of soot on the pipes and my plugs never looked like they came out of a lean running engine. If anything they always "looked" like things were slightly rich. This is all sort of the opposite of what you'd expect from a lean-tune.

Having said that, there definitely is a performance difference with an opened-up air intake and a PCIII with a rich map. And the plugs still look roughly the same. And I know it's running richer because my fuel mileage is down by 11%.

Dyno tuning is scheduled for tomorrow so I expect things to change after that.

·
Banned
269 Posts
Took the chuckster off and noticed the black carbon build up around the butterflies.
This is a good reason to NOT run the crankcase breather into the intake. It's a major contributor to carbon build-up in the throttle body. Moving it won't eliminate carbon build-up, you still have valve overlap contributing, but will dramatically reduce it.

21 - 27 of 27 Posts