RiderForums.com - Kawasaki Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I know our max torque/power is around 7,000rpms. My questions is... if I am trying to speed up/pass someone (possibly race lol), should I shift at 7,000 or would going all the way to redline yield a faster speed? I'm pretty sure it's the former but I wasn't too sure and no one I know seems to know either.

·
Banned
679 Posts
So I know our max torque/power is around 7,000rpms. My questions is... if I am trying to speed up/pass someone (possibly race lol), should I shift at 7,000 or would going all the way to redline yield a faster speed? I'm pretty sure it's the former but I wasn't too sure and no one I know seems to know either.
I had my bike dyno'd, '09 w. yosh slip on / power commander. power tapers off at 9k

·
Registered
228 Posts
I usually shift just shy of redline. You can feel just before redline it doesn't quite as hard, the idea is to shift to where you are right back in the power on the next gear.

If you ever get the open space (closed course only, of course!) to top out your bike, I found on my 650 in 5th it will top out about 500RPM shy of redline and won't go any faster until you shift to 6th.

·
Registered
462 Posts
The RPMs to shift at for maximum acceleration would be above max torque/hp RPMs because when you shift, the higher gear will drop you down in RPMs. So, depending on the shape of the torque/power curve and the gear ratios, it will be at "some" higher RPM. Like topgunz1 said, " ... the idea is to shift to where you are right back in the power on the next gear. "

I'd tend to go with Nicklovin's ~ 9K, even with a stock bike.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
alright that definitely makes sense. I guess I'll just have to play around with it then :glassesti

·
Banned
679 Posts
alright that definitely makes sense. I guess I'll just have to play around with it then :glassesti
No need to play around lol, I had it dyno'd at a legit place. Our power drops off after 9k.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
No need to play around lol, I had it dyno'd at a legit place. Our power drops off after 9k.
I figured since you have the PC it might be a little different on yours than mine...but close enough it is.

·
Registered
586 Posts
9.5K ish is the overall power dropoff... so shift there

·
Banned
679 Posts
9.5K ish is the overall power dropoff... so shift there
Your like that 1 dollar person on the price is right. "Hi yes bob, what was the highest bid? Oh, 9,000? Ill bid 9,001 bob."

·
Registered
1,326 Posts
Like everyone else has said, the power tapers off around 9K so you should shift at or before this.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts