RiderForums.com - Kawasaki Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys and gals. I 'm kinda up poop creek without a paddle here.

I have a Mapam backrest that I have lost the screws and spacers that bolt into the fender rails. I was wondering if anybody might know what the sizes of the screws and spacers might be. All I know is that the screws are M6. everything else, I'm drawing a blank.

Thanks for any and all help anyone can give me. I really dont want to head back and forth from the Depot is i can help it!

·
Registered
225 Posts
I know this isn't for the Mapam but may give you an idea. I just installed the OEM yesterday and in the instructions it says to use the 8 x 55mm screws. It doesn't mention what the spacers are but you may be able to add some washers to get the desired result.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Were all four of the screws 55MM?

·
Registered
580 Posts
If the Mapam mounts over the factory strut cover you will need 6mm bolts, not 8mm. 55mm sounds too long unless it's for 8mm bolts that mount into the fender bolt holes. You could stick the strut cover on unbolted, shove a long thin bolt into one of the holes making sure you don't hit the fender, mark on the outside where it is flush with the strut cover to get an idea what bolt length you need and subtract the width of the metal frame mount to get your spacer width. Also add the thickness of the mapam bracket.
Good Luck

·
Registered
225 Posts
Yes, mine installed into the fender bolt holes. That is why they were the 55mm ones.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ok. Ive been to home depot, Lowe's, fastenal, and a local hardware store. All I have been able to find is M6 x 30mm. It actually will fit all the way through the bracket, 3 washers, the strut cover, and into the fender holes; but I would rather get a few more threads in there. I'm gonna use the 30mm until i can actually find 55mm somewhere. The most that the backrest is gonna be supporting for a while is a small bag on the back for gloves and glasses.

Thanks for your help everybody. I hope someone will be able to use this information further down the line!

·
Registered
580 Posts
Does your setup look something like this? If so, 55mm will be too long. Since you mentioned 'M6' it means you are not using the fender holes. The 'fender' holes you are talking about are not what we're talking about. The fender holes are only used if you have the fire and steel strut cover, not the original factory strut cover. With 55mm you'll probably wreck your fender by tightening too long a bolt into it. You most likely need a 35mm to 40mm bolt. My CWI used a 32mm, since yours mounts outside instead of inside it may be slightly longer, but not 55mm. I just want you to be aware so you don't go putting a nice ding in your fender.

mapam.jpg

Ok. Ive been to home depot, Lowe's, fastenal, and a local hardware store. All I have been able to find is M6 x 30mm. It actually will fit all the way through the bracket, 3 washers, the strut cover, and into the fender holes

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
That's it exactly. Im gonna see if I can find something longer than 30mm.
Odd Ball question here: I have a 2003 meanie, did they change the strut cover sizes to 8mm in later years or are you talking about the actual fender holes? Ive been looking on a few different posts and a lot of people say the used the 8mm screws instead. I'm guessing it depends on the different backrests (mapam, jardine, cwi) and their different mounting situations.

·
Registered
580 Posts
Yes, the actual fender holes. Meatball must have the fire and steel strut cover which uses the actual fender holes and thus a longer bolt and an 8M bolt. The Mapam uses the same holes as the stock strut cover which is 6M and shorter. For the most part the backrests use the 6M like yours, the fire and steel strut cover uses the 8M fender holes because it is also used for saddlebag supports. The stock strut covers use 6M no matter what year meanie you have. Good luck finding longer ones, just make sure they aren't too much longer, you probably only need a 35mm or 40mm.
Also, some of the people that mentioned using 8M instead of 6M actually drilled and tapped the 6M hole to be an 8M hole so they could mount saddlebags and not have the bolts break.
I have a 2003 meanie, did they change the strut cover sizes to 8mm in later years or are you talking about the actual fender holes?

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Again, thanks for all your help man! I'm still on the hunt so there's still hope of finding them!

·
Registered
580 Posts
1 - 12 of 12 Posts