RiderForums.com - Kawasaki Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
More or less i seriously cannot justify 300+ dollars for rearsets. I just cant. Thats two track days or almost two sets of tires(thanks dunlop). I also dont want any of those 360* folding things either so what im going to do now may be to ghetto for some, others may use it as inspiration, or it may ****ing fail completely but im going to try it. If i destroy them im not exactly out much as the demand for the stock ones isnt exactly high. Here the plan: oh and excuse the paint work.

1. chop off as much excess as possible to save weight
2. drill a mounting hole for the vortex pegs, not sure if im going to use washer to shim them from the outside, or do it on the inside.
if done on the outside, ill have to cut the end off to keep from dragging them.
3. probably not run a rear brake? i never use it anyway(yes....yes....i know lots of people do normally and even in corner to adjust lines)
4. stock shifter may(?) reach my foot still, or i may have to do something something with that to.

As you can see alot of this is up in the air, but ill update this thread as I start, try new things, and reach an actual verdict. Give feedback if you wish, but its really an experiment/tutorial.

here a pic of the beg, its got a pretty nub so i dont know if ill use this one or...

...this one so i can just drill a hole for a screw and have it mount flush to the metal.

Ill update as i destroy things.

·
Registered
3,460 Posts
Sounds good to me. I would have done it already if not for needing them on the street. I will live vicariously through you on this one.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys, i dont think it will be to bad, theres plenty of metal to work with there so ill do some measuring and more or less try and "place" them in a relative location to where the woodcrafts would be. They seem to work well enough.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
So this is what about 30 minutes with a hacksaw gets you:

I retained full use of the rear-brake with only the single bolt. under full body weight, the thing didnt move at all. Lost about 5 lbs over all. There definitely not woodcraft but they damn sure arent 300$ either.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
And speaking of woodcraft, can someone do me a huge favor and get some measurements for me if they have those rearsets? i just want to get the geometry right, if its good enough for them then its good enough for me. The blue is a general area to where ever the footpeg sits. thanks you!

·
Registered
3,460 Posts
If it helps, Woodcraft lists the difference.

"This kit includes 2 footpeg height options - a track day height and a full race height. Track Day - Up 3/4", Back 1". Full race - Up 1.25", Back 1.25"."

Woodcraft

·
Registered
294 Posts
I can get the measurement for you. I currently have the woodcraft mounted on my bike.

Btw, I'd say think about adding a support bar from the rear set to the third rearset mounting tab on the frame. Looking at, it and without doing any calculations, I am guesstimating that just the 2 frame tabs are not strong enough to support the dynamic load from the rearset.

·
Registered
24 Posts
measurements would be primo. My brother got a cnc lathe and I want to find a project for him to make for me. I've been gathering pics and other stuff in prep, but accurate measurements would be a huge help.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts