RiderForums.com - Kawasaki Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just picked up a 2004 and noticed a antifreeze smell. The hose coming from the water pump "weep hose" had a few drops here and there of antifreeze. So I ordered the mechanical seal, o-ring and gasket. Got the parts and the seal that is pressed into the impeller was not there. So I ordered a new impeller and hope that the seal comes with it. Can anyone confirm this? Now......... for the bad part. The seal had been leaking for so long that the outer shaft bearing is froze up and the shaft was spinning in the inner bearing race. The antifreeze was lubing the shaft or it would of locked up. I got out the die grinder and carefully cut out the old bearing. The manual says the engine must be pulled and the cases split to get this bearing out. So I called the dealer back up and ordered the bearing. Has anyone ever done this before? I will let you know next week when I get it put back together if there are any leaks. If you have antifreeze leaking from the "weep hose" do your self a favor and change the mechanical seal ASAP.

·
Registered
1,629 Posts
I can't tell from your picture or the diagram, what bearing locked up? Got a picture of it and a pic of where it came from?

·
Registered
882 Posts
Man I just noticed mine leaking this morning there was a small puddle under that weep hose. The wife and I went for short ride this morning just got home and waiting to see if it drops it also has like a rust color to it

·
Registered
882 Posts
Was just reading about the water pump and looks like if you going to replace the ball bearings and oil seal you will need to split the cases. No need to split the cases just to replace the mechanical seal.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
#12 is the bearing. Antifreeze has gotten inside of it and froze it up. When you get the mechanical seal pulled out, take a good look at the bearing and make sure it rotates with the pump shaft.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
Went to the dealership today and picked up the rest of the parts. Yes you do need to order the impeller to get the other half of the mechanical seal. Got the bearing put in and went in very easy. The mechanical seal went easy as well. Now again for the bad news,.... again. Looked at the front of the mechanical seal to inspect it for cracks, which I guess happens when installing them, sure ****, I cracked it. Ordered another seal. Is there any mechanics on here that maybe could give me a pointer on the best way to put this seal in. I did it just like the manual tell you to.i think I will make a Delrin( type of durable plastic) install tool. I think if you just touch the side of the ceramic part of the seal while tapping it in, your done,cracked. The picture is of everything you will need to do the water pump correctly.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,015 Posts
Sorry I can't be of any help. I'm just following along trying to learn in case I have to do this later on.

Wanted you to know we so appreciate the info along with the pics. Pics always help big time!

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I've been working on bikes for over 35 years now, and this mechanical seal is a first for me. I'm hoping all this will help everyone out with this job.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
This is a picture for those of you thinking a little leak here and there of antifreeze from the "weep hose" is not that big of a deal. Look close at the picture. As you can see antifreeze will sit right next to your bearing and eventually get into it. In the picture you can see how high the hole is from the bottom of the bearing. It will hold quite a bit of antifreeze before it starts to leak. Not good at all. Get it fixed ASAP. image.jpg

·
Registered
1,747 Posts
This is a picture for those of you thinking a little leak here and there of antifreeze from the "weep hose" is not that big of a deal. Look close at the picture. As you can see antifreeze will sit right next to your bearing and eventually get into it. In the picture you can see how high the hole is from the bottom of the bearing. It will hold quite a bit of antifreeze before it starts to leak. Not good at all. Get it fixed ASAP. View attachment 75357

From the looks of your shaft I would be concerned it's going to leak again. Looks pretty rough and pitted.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Nothing gets sealed around the shaft. On this end of the shaft you can see a machined grove, that's where the o-ring goes. On the other end is where the oil seal goes and that stays covered with oil. That's it.

1 - 20 of 50 Posts