RiderForums.com - Kawasaki Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,
I recently purchased my first motorcycle, an 06 650r. When i purchased it the owner let me know that a few things would need to be done. He said the forks are leaking and provided me with new fork seals and fork fluid, also gave me oil for an oil change. He mentioned that the bike makes a backfiring noise when you let off the throttle, upon riding it myself its like a popping when you let off, is this something i should be concerned about, or could it just be the 2 brothers exhaust on it? Also he had a lowering link installed but i took it out so its riding stiff. I am wondering the average prices to have all these things done before i go to the shop and get shammed. All in all, im thinking i need an oil/ oil filter change, change fork seals/fluid, suspension adjustment, possible tuneup/dyno for "backfiring" (which may be off gas to air ratio). Any feedback would be greatly appreciated. Also, i will need a new rear tire soon and i will be doing a lot of city driving so reccomendations would be nice as well.
Thanks!!!!

·
Banned
2,525 Posts
Leaking forks bad. Install the new parts, or have them installed. Fork oil will leak all over everything (potentially), for example your brakes. An out of control suspension is well, out of control. As far as the backfire, just personal preference. It was doing that with the stock exhaust too. The noise was just being suppressed. You can hear it if you listen very, very carefully. It can be tuned or modded out. I like the little back firing. If it was non-stop it might get annoying, but a few pops now and then are cool! (just an FYI, back fire would be on the intake side, after fire is exhaust side)

·
Banned
4,318 Posts
figure 150-200 bucks labor on the forks at most shops.

They can look at the rear end e=and see if something is wrong or not. I have no idea with out pics and or riding it, sorry.

The popping is caused by a lean condition. Adding the pipe made the bike leaner than it already from the factory, resulting in the popping you hear. It won't really hurt anything, and as Vic said some people like it and some don't. There is an air injection system routed to the exhaust that can be removed and it will eliminate most all of the popping on decel. I would expect 50-75 bucks labor to do that, but it isnot needed for sure.

If it's your first bike I would worry more about getting the suspension correct, make sure the brakes are good and not covered in fork oil like Vic said (motorcycle pads are kind of spendy, usually $30 per caliper) if they are they will have to be replaced. Then make sure you have good tires with the correct pressure in them.

A backfire can happen on either the exhaust side (what you are hearing) or on the intake side. If it happens on the intake side it is really not good. That can start a fire or burn up your air filter which your engine will then eat. Backfire through the intake side it pretty uncommon. Usually happens when you are having trouble starting an engine. It won't really happen in a normal already running condition.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts