RiderForums.com - Kawasaki Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

So, my bike is making an odd ticking sound as I am accelerating in gear. It stops as I get to a certain amount of acceleration and happens in every gear.

The sound does not occur when I am decelerating.

The sound does not happen in neutral, I have attempted to climb slowly through the rev ranges and it does nothing.

The sound was not replicated when I tested it on the center stand, I have manually moved the wheel and I cannot hear anything.

I have had a look at the damage and there isn't anything other than some scrapes on the exhaust but no holes that I can see.

I did notice the chain felt a bit tight but when I pushed it to the other side of the road and looked again it felt "normal/loose" again.

The sound started as soon as I dropped off the speedbump. I was going about 5mph. I was in a park, had to drive through for work and was allowed to go through, hence why they were so big.

Any help would be very appreciated.

Thank you so much for any advice.

·
Registered
5,131 Posts
My first thought is chain, You may have a tight spot on the chain. It can be tight in one place and loose in another. I'm not sure that going over a speed bump would result in an issue unless it moved the back wheel a bit.

I'm guessing by the post that you went over a big enough bump that it drug the exhaust?

The 2nd thought I have is it's a brake that's ticking (front or rear) but again, not sure why a bump would do that.

As it doesn't do it in neutral, on the center stand, or after a certain RPM tells me it's not engine/transmission related as it only happens under acceleration loads.

Sorry that that's not a lot of help...

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
My first thought is chain, You may have a tight spot on the chain. It can be tight in one place and loose in another. I'm not sure that going over a speed bump would result in an issue unless it moved the back wheel a bit.

I'm guessing by the post that you went over a big enough bump that it drug the exhaust?

The 2nd thought I have is it's a brake that's ticking (front or rear) but again, not sure why a bump would do that.

As it doesn't do it in neutral, on the center stand, or after a certain RPM tells me it's not engine/transmission related as it only happens under acceleration loads.

Sorry that that's not a lot of help...

Thanks for the reply mate,

I've had the chain and sprockets checked over and the noise is still there.

Unfortunately, yes the bump did leave some marks behind on the exhaust.

The noise has now started to become present when in neutral and in idle.

I'm at a loss. I can't afford a mechanic at the moment.

·
Registered
5,131 Posts
Check the exhaust nuts where the header attaches to the head to make sure they are tight, then check the heat shield down by the foot pegs, then the mount for the exhaust can. Perhaps some part of the exhaust is loose, or been moved closer to the frame / engine and making contact. I'd think this would be more of a buzz than a ticking, but it's a starting point.

The other things that could cause ticking are - a rock or something in the tire, or a brake rotor that's warped making contact with the pads.
The rock would not cause ticking when up on the center stand, and a rotor wouldn't show up when decelerating... again, a couple of stabs in the dark.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts