RiderForums.com - Kawasaki Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It has been a while since I checked on this. I already have a good set of soft saddlebags for my ZR-7, but I have a nice hard trunk that I'd like to mount, too. Back in the summer, the only rack I knew of was the one offered by WildHair. I ordered it from them, but after about 3 months of the thing not showing up, I told them to send me my money back. The rack did eventually show up, and I think someone else here on the board bought it from them.

Are there any more racks available now? I found this picture in another post:

I plan on doing some serious traveling this summer, but I need the passenger seat left open (for my girlfriend, of course). Therefore, I have to use a trunk rather than a tail-bag.

Z

·
0 Posts
I have the Ventura Bike-Pack System....I love it! :D If you decide on the Ventura, go to www.azmotorsports.com ....they have the best price and you'll get it within a month.....I have the 45-liter bag and find that it holds more than enough gear for two, I use a tankbag as well......goodluck!

Pete S.
:cool:

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Pete, what all is included in the Ventura system? I already have a hard trunk-- do you think that it can be mounted to the Ventura rack? Do you think the Ventura rack is strong enough to hold it?

This is the WildHair rack, the one I almost got last summer. Since I already have soft saddle-bags and a hard trunk, this would probably be a more ideal set-up than the Ventura system. But Wild Hair's rack with shipping costs about $150, which I think is pretty steep. How much did you pay for your Ventura set-up?

·
Silver Member
881 Posts
The rack shown is the legendary ( in Oz ) Gearsack rack.

They are made out of square tubing and would be the toughest rack on the planet. They pretty much have universal fittings and once mounted you could literally pick up the bike with it.

They are designed to carry the Gearsack bag. There are a few variations of the model. I took my 20yo "seat bag " on my trip round the PI and its still waterproof.

The trick is if you carry a really heavy weight reverse the bag and sit it on the pillion seat. Otherwise I know guys who have dinked a passenger on the rack without harm ( errr not recommended except in emergencies )

If you want to mount a topbox on it just cut of the loop.

:)

·
Silver Member
881 Posts
I had a Ventura set up on my old ZZR600 ( ZX6E ).

The bags are interchangeable but the strength difference is chalk and cheese. Check out the bracing on the Gearsack. The mounting is much stronger as well.

:)

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well, I ordered the Five Star rack last week. They had the best price by a long shot, and the mounting looks secure enough for what I want to use it for. Unfortunately, I gave them my credit card information and I haven't heard from them since. I hope everything is okay with my order.

I'm even thinking of having my trunk painted to match the rest of the bike. I'll just leave it on there permanently. Won't do too much for aethetics, but I consider this my utility bike, so function over form for me.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts