RiderForums.com - Kawasaki Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I lowered my meanstreak to 11" and now im trying to get the rear rim widened...has anyone done this? have you encounter any problems with the bike been so low? Here are pix before i put the shocks... IMG_1982.jpg

·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

·
Registered
10,328 Posts
Just don't hit any bumps, or make sure you are leaning forward when you do. The stock Mean Streak doesn't have much suspension travel, and now you've shortened yours. They definitely look better lowered though.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Check out the 210mm wheel thread in the performance mod section. You can catch some of my pics near the end of the thread. I went with a 12" progressive 444 shock. He stock length is 13.5. I meant to buy the 12.5 initially but clicked the wrong one. I'm not sure about widening the wheel and sticking 11" shocks as a combo. Hard bumps and the tire hits the fender with a 210 tire.
Just my 2cents. Whatever you decide, take pics!

·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Indeed...
Just don't hit any bumps, or make sure you are leaning forward when you do. The stock Mean Streak doesn't have much suspension travel, and now you've shortened yours. They definitely look better lowered though.

·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Check out the 210mm wheel thread in the performance mod section. You can catch some of my pics near the end of the thread. I went with a 12" progressive 444 shock. He stock length is 13.5. I meant to buy the 12.5 initially but clicked the wrong one. I'm not sure about widening the wheel and sticking 11" shocks as a combo. Hard bumps and the tire hits the fender with a 210 tire.
Just my 2cents. Whatever you decide, take pics!
I was setting the shocks about half way, I tried them the other day at the last setting and the held up amazing with me and my wife (i am about 230 and she is 110) the bike didn't bottom once, and i hit a railroad track pretty fast. ride is a little stiff but we were used to worst when i had my rigid chopper with a 300... I will def post pics... here is after the shocks were on IMG_1983.jpg

·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
IMG_1984.jpg

This is the best view... i will take one from the exhaust side tomorrow

·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
IMG_2005.jpg

i just went to the garage

·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
:headbang:Nice!!!

·
Registered
1,800 Posts
I have found that lowering a bike will affect the handling, cornering is compromised significantly. I weigh 225 and my little lady is about 120.....using the stock air shocks keeps this weight at bay and the bike rides nice with about 55 lbs. in the shocks. I tired Progressive 410's on the rear and the bike handled like crap, and bottomed down even on the highest preload settings. I went right back to the stock units. Putting a wider rim might look cool, but youmay not get it to fit in with the stock swingarm and drive shaft setup. In addition, handling once again is compromised with a wider rim and tire. I run a 180/55 ZR 17 on the rear, and a smaller 120?70 ZR 17 on the front. My bike handles great like this. Just throwing some ideas your way, I have been off the site for a long time and just now getting back and running again.

·
Registered
9,021 Posts
I have found that lowering a bike will affect the handling, cornering is compromised significantly. I weigh 225 and my little lady is about 120.....using the stock air shocks keeps this weight at bay and the bike rides nice with about 55 lbs. in the shocks. I tired Progressive 410's on the rear and the bike handled like crap, and bottomed down even on the highest preload settings. I went right back to the stock units. Putting a wider rim might look cool, but youmay not get it to fit in with the stock swingarm and drive shaft setup. In addition, handling once again is compromised with a wider rim and tire. I run a 180/55 ZR 17 on the rear, and a smaller 120?70 ZR 17 on the front. My bike handles great like this. Just throwing some ideas your way, I have been off the site for a long time and just now getting back and running again.
mine handles just fine, but i ride it like a cruiser not a sport bike, I am old and tired so i ride like that, old and tired.:eek::eek:

·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
mine handles just fine, but i ride it like a cruiser not a sport bike, I am old and tired so i ride like that, old and tired.:eek::eek:
I ride mine pretty aggressive on corners and it handles better with a stiffer suspension than it did with the stock, the only issue I have is clearence but then again same problem with stock shocks

Reactions: speedracer

·
Registered
165 Posts
With the weights that you mentioned above, you should have gone with the HD version of the shocks. Not sure why your cornering was significantly compromised, unless you were dragging parts or not using proper riding techniques (ie riding the top side while leaning the bike). You are correct about the wheel not fitting the stock swingarm. The driveshaft housing needs to be notched for a proper fit. As for wheel widening - it doesn't compromise the handling. It just changes the way it feels and requires more hand input force.

·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
You are correct about the wheel not fitting the stock swingarm. The driveshaft housing needs to be notched for a proper fit. As for wheel widening - it doesn't compromise the handling...

Are there any tire manufacturer making a 210 tire?... I have been searching and all I find is 200's

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
Are there any tire manufacturer making a 210 tire?... I have been searching and all I find is 200's
Metzeler ME880 Marathon 210/50 ZR17 TL

·
Registered
165 Posts
Metzeler ME880 Marathon 210/50 ZR17 TL
True and false. Metzeler discontinued the tire for the North American market. Some vendors have the tire left in their stocks, but you won't be able to special order one. You can import one from Europe where it wasn't discontinued.

·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
That sucks...

1 - 20 of 39 Posts