RiderForums.com - Kawasaki Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I lost the keys to my z, I can either bring the whole bike into the locksmith or I can take in the lock cyclinder. I stared taking out the lock cylinder and I got it to the point where it looks like there are two rivots or bolts with a round head holding them in. I was wondering if there is anyway to take these off without drilling them out.

·
Registered
131 Posts
you might have to heat them up to make it loose at work we usually heat them up a little and cut the screw right in the middle with this tool deep enough for a thick flat screw driver to make it turn . the trick is to make the cut deep so when you turn the screw it does brake in 2 . This is the tool ( this things are design to be cut once you maybe getting another set of screws would help

·
Banned
204 Posts
They are security bolts-the heads are designed to break off if you try to remove them. They must be drilled out. Kind of a pain, but do-able. BTW, that cutting wheel will make a mess of all components in that area. Stick to the drill.

·
Registered
269 Posts
Do you by chance have the little metal tag with numbers on it? If you do, you can give it to the dealer/locksmith and they can cut a new key for you via the #.

·
Registered
1,567 Posts
Take your VIN to the dealer. They will be able to cut you a new one without the metal tag that had the key code on it. I did this a few years ago when I left my keys in AL and hauled the bike to OH.

·
Banned
204 Posts
Not all dealers will cut by the VIN. Tried that with my Yamaha and got a big "no-can-do" from several dealers. My solution was to take the bike to a locksmith who was able to "read" lock cylinder and promptly (read; on the spot) cut a couple of new keys. Sorry bro-there isn't a quick-fast-and-in-a-hurry fix for this one.

·
Registered
1,567 Posts
Might as well call the dealer first and see if they can do it. better than cutting out rivets if you don't really have to.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts