RiderForums.com - Kawasaki Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello Everyone, i been reading this thread for a few months, i just recently purchased a 2001 Zr7s as my first bike and i love it, comfy, plenty of power and torque for my noob butt and looks cool. Ive looked at many threads to fix and modify things but mainly becaus eof the lack of motorcycle repairmen in my area i come to you for help and advice. LIke a few days ago i started noticing a strange ticking noise. im still kinda of a noob and ive read that the engine was very buzzy and ticked around but next day i come up in the morning to get on and go to work and i totice one of the header retaining brakets is hanging down the pipe with what seemed like half a cilindrical brace sticking inside. so i rode like that for 2 days (not far aroind 10 or 15 miles total) and eventualy i went to auto parts store and found a nut that would fit it, and used that one piece of the halkf brace to wedge the bracket with the 2 nuts i got. The guy from the auto parts told me that something like that happend to him once, he was riding around with the header lose and something about lack of blowback pressure destroyed his engine. Was there a chance i messed it up for riding like that for 2 days?! will the header hold with half of the cilindrical brace thingy missing while i find a replacement? seems to be holding in place for now, i dont feel any exhaust gases coming out but im worried its gona keep coming lose, Advice plz and any info on where to get a replacement, havent had much luck online.

Thanks so much for your help!

·
Johnny Blue Lightnin'
12,134 Posts

·
Registered
2,199 Posts
mine back off all the time..when i hear it start ticking badly i re-tighten all 8...(about every 500 miles i re-torque)..that half moon chunk you saw is 1 half of the exhaust seal i think....got a pic?

running like that WILL make you run lean but only if you went for a LONG ride..and i mean 500+ miles before you even started to make any initial damages...dont worry about damage just fix it

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the info guys, that part was the half of the exhaust pipe collar part number 92027, gona order a few i guess and buy a torque wrench and keep an eye on them periodically. should i replace the gaskets too part 11009? that whole area looks in need of tlc, the other nuts are rusty prob why they started falling off in the first place. oh and one more thing the how about those nuts in the auto parts with the locking nylon insert? it should keep it from sliping out in the future with a washer too but i dont know if they can handle the temperature or should i just get the oem nut 92210A?

·
West Coast Moderator
12,996 Posts
Go with the stock nuts. Those nylocks won;t last long and stink pretty bad when they burn up

1 - 5 of 5 Posts