RiderForums.com - Kawasaki Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, my clutch lever is pretty loose on it's vertical axis, as in when moving he lever up and down theres a lot of wiggle room. I thought that I could simply tighten the nut on the underside of the clutch housing, but theres a black box screwed to the housing.

Easy fix I thought, until I found out that the two screws holding the black plastic part (Not sure of the name) in place had lock tight and I'm afraid of stripping the second screw. Pretty much I can't get the screw out to make enough room to slip a socket head over the nut to tighten down the lever.

Any advice on an easier way to do this that I'm not thinking of?

·
Banned
2,525 Posts
Never a good idea just to start tightening bolts unless they are loose beyond spec. If I understand your issue, what you're saying is the clutch lever has a lot of up and down play, apparently significantly. The clutch lever is usually mounted to the master cylinder directly, which is aluminum. The screw and nut system only torque to less than 100 inch lbs. The reason you can't use the nut to apply more force is that the screw itself bottoms out in the housing. The nut is just a "safety" to help prevent the screw from loosening. Think of it as double nutting. Get and use torque wrenches for motorcycle work (and cars these days).

Has the mtoorcycle been wrecked and the clutch lever touched down? Might have bent the master cylinder housing. Do you have factory or aftermarket levers? If aftermarket, I'd suspect the levers are just out of spec.

You might be able to shim it just be careful not to over shim it. I'd try keep it centered (shims on both sides) if possible. Maybe take a quick video or pictures of the play and housing.

·
Registered
2,579 Posts
Minor correction, Vic. These bikes have cable clutches so technically they mount to a "perch". There's no master cylinder involved.

Takezo, the black box on the bottom is the clutch switch. It shouldn't need to come off to tighten the lever. Are you missing any components here like the spacer/bushing? This pic is for an 07. You didn't say what year you have.

2-11-2016 6-49-02 AM.png

·
Registered
46 Posts
If missing the highlighted part in DJ's pic, it would definitely cause the excessive up and down play. I had initially omitted it when installing my after market levers and ended up with the same issue. After inserting the stock part into the after market levers the problem was resolved.

·
Banned
2,525 Posts
Minor correction, Vic. These bikes have cable clutches so technically they mount to a "perch". There's no master cylinder involved.

Takezo, the black box on the bottom is the clutch switch. It shouldn't need to come off to tighten the lever. Are you missing any components here like the spacer/bushing? This pic is for an 07. You didn't say what year you have.

View attachment 91072
Thanks DJ.. ever since I put the 14 parts on my 650R I forgot all about that little detail :laugh:

·
Registered
8,696 Posts
Are you mildly concerned, or are you annoyed to the point where it drives you bat-s crazy.

The black box controls your start switch and it is tough to remove without a #1 JIS screwdriver, so just leave it be.

There is no bearing , so this area wears. Over time, some up and down play is how it is.

Heres the problem. You can easily tighten the nut more, use an open end wrench, turned sideways. However, if its tight enough to stop play, its pinched the lever so much it is harder to pull in, and may not slide to its out position.

The easiest solution is to remove the bolt. It will be easy to do with the wrench turned sideways. No need to disconnect the cable. Just let the lever hang.

Find some hard plastic to pad the jaws of your channel lock pliers and squish the sides of the perch together when the lever is not in there. If you do this correctly, it will eliminate SOME play.

This is about all you can realistically do.

The best fix is this, cheap at twice the price, right???? And you lose your start switch. Thats awesome if you hit the start button,, in gear, while bike is on stand.

http://www.gravesport.com/GaleSpeed-Cable-Clutch-Perch.html

This issue is much worse with billet levers. In truth, its something that bothers me, but in reality does not hurt anything.

I've shimmed mine, like vic suggested, but you wont have access to the material I was able to get and its hard to get them placed. Also, after a few miles it just wears in more and you are bacl to square 1.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yeah i have a 2013 Ninja 650, so there's no part like you've indicated in the diagram.

I suppose I might just live with it. I don't notice it THAT much when I'm riding but it's been bugging me for a while. I guess knowing there's not a good fix makes it a little easier to bear with.

·
Registered
2,579 Posts
Yeah i have a 2013 Ninja 650, so there's no part like you've indicated in the diagram.
Yes, there is. ;)

If no parts are missing, I'd try shimming it with as many thin washers as are needed. It will be a little finicky to install but how often does that happen?

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Sorry for the late reply. I took some pics of the lever, I dunno if it will help but according to the diagrams, I can't tell if the highlighted part is in the lever or not. There's only one place I could think to tighten, which is the nut on the underside of the lever housing (whatever it is called)

[/IMG]
[/IMG]

·
Registered
8,696 Posts
I cant see the nut I'm looking for in your pics. I suspect its hiding on the other side of the clutch switch. No problem, but I cant see it.

The only thing you can tighten is part number 92015 It will be hard to get to. The easiest way is to use a 10mm wrench. I believe it will be 10, but whatever size you need, obviously.

However, instead of using it normally, stand the wrench on end. Then come in with a screwdriver on the other, closed end. You'll turn this wrench into a t handle.

2012 Kawasaki NINJA 650 (EX650ECF) Handlebar | MRCycles

·
Registered
3,014 Posts
The part that DJ highlighted is there, you just dont see it cause its in the lever. As far as getting the screws off the clutch switch, its very tight, make sure you put alot of downforce (in this case the force will actually be upwards, since you are doing it from underneath) otherwise you will strip the heads of the screws. Then you can get to the other side of that bolt, hold it with a socket, and tighten it down.

The highlighted part is a brass spacer.

@DJ: IIRC I think you DO have to remove the clutch switch to get under that bolt. I could be wrong, been a while since I had the 650.

Reactions: djrussell

·
Registered
8,696 Posts
The switch has loctite on the small bolts. You almost have to use a jis specific screwdriver to get them off.

A wrench, turned sideways, is way easier.

·
Registered
1 Posts

View attachment 91072
Just so you know this is a fix for after market levers on the 2020 ninja 650 krt. The little pin is the key to success. Thanks!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts