RiderForums.com - Kawasaki Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
1,252 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I'm looking for opinions Harley Street Glide/ Road Glide vs Chieftain limited vs Kawasaki Vaquero thoughts ideas please let me know...do I go used Vaquero 9 grand ish... Harley and Indian new 20ish..resale, accessories,quality,ride comfort...hum not sure... Next year trading both my bikes for a bagger, which one!!!!!
894037704.jpg IMG_20170805_173510.jpg 38c3cac536cc57568d4541d618db0e78.jpg 040417-2017-Indian-Chief-limited-Indian_Motorcycle_Press_California_2017_3256.jpg 2015-road-glide-custom-abs-1-of-a-kind-13k-in-xtras-blacked-out-2.JPG

·
Registered
10,325 Posts
From a riding standpoint, I would take the Road Glide or the Vaquero over the bat wing bikes, unless you are just using them for bar hopping or coffee shop runs. The frame mounted fairings offer a superior ride in any windy situation. You will always have a windy situation at interstate speeds.

That said, I would choose the Chieftain over the Street Glide. You won't see 100 of them at every bar/coffee shop, the windshield is power height adjustable.

My order of preference would be Road Glide, Vaquero, Chieftain, and Street Glide. I like the way a Vaquero looks. Especially from the rear, but those side opening bags are harder to live with day to day. You have to always have them locked to ensure they don't come open on you. I also wouldn't touch a Pre-Rushmore Harley, and with the new M8 I wouldn't even look at a 103 because the new engine is just that much better.

Obviously, the Harleys will have the most options for customization to make them fit you better, looks, etc.

The Vulcan 1700 lineup is probably coming to a close. They are now down to just the Vaquero and Voyager when in 2011 they had 5 models.

Even my 103 Road Glide Ultra pulls hills night and day better than my 1700 Voyager ever did.

So, it really comes down to how much are you willing to spend. For $9k, you will enjoy the Vaquero. You will deal with whatever comes up and say to yourself, "I am only in this $9k." On my Voyager, I hated the front end suspension and ended up sending the forks to Traxxion Dynamics for complete rebuild. Changed the handling so much so, that the local dealer noticed the difference on a test ride. The rear shocks are OK and have a little bit of rebound damping adjustment.

I feel about the Vaquero the same way I felt about the Mean Streak. In stock form both bikes are sexy bikes. As soon as you make it more comfortable to ride, the looks go downhill.

Definitely try to ride them all in curves and at highway speeds and see for yourself.

Oh, and the Vaquero in the photo has a custom front wheel. Many who install those know nothing about geometry and improve the looks but kill the ride quality.

·
Registered
10,325 Posts
After riding the Super Tenere, you will be disappointed in the suspension of non-adventure bike you buy. Be prepared to spend another $1600 or more on decent suspension upgrades.

I am not happy with the suspension on any of my current bikes when on less than smooth pavement. I have been spoiled by the electronic suspension on the Triumph Trophy SE. Now that I know what great suspension feels like. If I can retire early, I am going to try and get a job with Ohlins USA where I get to travel to all the motorcycle events throughout the country marketing the best suspension made. :)

·
Registered
1,252 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the input, pretty close to what I'm thinking. Sick of metrics loosing so much value so quickly though. Think the Harley's with new Milwaukee eight feel the most solidly made. Indian really intrigues me but worried polaris will drop them like they did victory. Harley is harley and will always be harley no Coolade drinking just solid bikes that stir the soul

·
Registered
367 Posts
Go current rendition of the Low Rider, my current fave HD. Add in some bags of your choosing, a windscreen and blammo, the closest thing HD has to a practical sport-tourer, better than their Switchback.

·
Registered
10,325 Posts
Go current rendition of the Low Rider, my current fave HD. Add in some bags of your choosing, a windscreen and blammo, the closest thing HD has to a practical sport-tourer, better than their Switchback.
Windshields are just as bad as beatings in the wind. I rarely have the shield on my road king because of the buffeting. Besides the discontinued Vrod the Harley touring line are the best handling bikes in '17 models.

I have a poster of the low rider S. Nice bike, but not a fan of the 110 engine.

The switchback is discontinued.

IMO, the Harley bikes outside of the touring line are a compromise in comfort and/or handling in favor of style.

·
Registered
367 Posts
Ever ridden a Vrod? One of the most uncomfortable bikes I've ever ridden and the heat that poured off the right side of the engine was unbelievable. It may be an amazing engine but outside of that, uh no thanks.

A buddy just picked up his Low Rider S and he's amazed by its performance, especially in comparison to his previous ride, one of those 900+ lb. HD tourers; he couldn't be happier. Me, I can't understand why anyone would want to ride a near 1000 lb. bike, don't care how comfortable or luxurious they are, nor how they shed weight once underway.

Nope, I'm sticking w/my choice. If I was going the HD route, I'd go Low Rider w/screen & bags or even perhaps a Sportster Superlow 1200T.

·
Registered
3,348 Posts
Thanks for the input, pretty close to what I'm thinking. Sick of metrics loosing so much value so quickly though. Think the Harley's with new Milwaukee eight feel the most solidly made. Indian really intrigues me but worried polaris will drop them like they did victory. Harley is harley and will always be harley no Coolade drinking just solid bikes that stir the soul
Unless and until they go bankrupt...AGAIN. Nobody to bail them out the next time! Too many repercussions if they try to get Japanese manufacturers to pay it again!

·
Registered
10,325 Posts
Ever ridden a Vrod? One of the most uncomfortable bikes I've ever ridden and the heat that poured off the right side of the engine was unbelievable. It may be an amazing engine but outside of that, uh no thanks.

A buddy just picked up his Low Rider S and he's amazed by its performance, especially in comparison to his previous ride, one of those 900+ lb. HD tourers; he couldn't be happier. Me, I can't understand why anyone would want to ride a near 1000 lb. bike, don't care how comfortable or luxurious they are, nor how they shed weight once underway.

Nope, I'm sticking w/my choice. If I was going the HD route, I'd go Low Rider w/screen & bags or even perhaps a Sportster Superlow 1200T.
You really need to test ride the Road King Special. The new M8 engine is amazing and this bike handles quite well. I will try the Low Rider S the next time I am in the dealership. I have a poster of it on my office wall.

Attachments

·
Registered
367 Posts
I've read nothing but good about then new M8 engine, however, HD's have never really been part of my motorcycling or ownership plan. I can admire & respect them but I'm not sure I'll ever own one. I don't like 500+ lb motorcycles, no matter how low their center of gravity is. After having ridden nothing but Hondas and Kawis my whole life, the idea of spending $15-20 on a bike is ludicrous, much less one that flaunts how dated its technology is. Again, I can respect the simplicity of a bike like a Sportster but for an enlarged version, like the Road King, at $17g's & up, well I just don't get it.

I don't knock anyone's choice in bikes. To each his own, right?

·
Registered
1,252 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
love the road king special, forgot about that one.... Wanted the radio but could do without the fairing of the street glide...hum gotta ride both.. Here in ct we often start the day chilly, hot during the day in summer then cold in the evenings when the sun goes down... Maybe fairings a good thing. Could put a windshield on road king but don't like the looks

·
Registered
10,325 Posts

what do you ride?

·
Premium Member
2,192 Posts
twa has loads of experience in this area. Depends on what kind of tourer you want; faired or not. I would say the top tourer is the Road Glide Ultra; total dream boat. The standard Road King will make the better tourer IMO because the wheel/tire/shock combos are different; the Special is for style while the standard is for comfort. The Special has larger rims and lowered suspension. I didn't like it and I almost bought one blind; glad I didn't.

I don't like the direction the Indian bikes are going with how they integrated their infotainment... It looks like the rear of an airplane seat. Also, if you are tall, the Indian bikes are pretty cramped geometry. I rode a Chieftan back to back versus a Victory Cross Country and much preferred the CC in every way. Don't overlook a Victory if you can find one and are willing to go it alone.

Which brings me to another area of interest. I was just on forum with a guy who picked up a 1995 HD tourer that is beautiful. There are so many used tourers out there that are fully depreciated and great machines. We were glorying in the Evo engine and the value and interest in these old bikes. Of course, you won't get infotainment, ABS, EFI, etc. (His has a cassette deck!), but you want a minivan or a motorcycle? I'm just saying you don't have to get a new Harley to enjoy the ride and the experience.

IMG_20170813_194609.jpg

I would choose a used Harley over everything you listed, then maybe a new Harley if you think that's your grail bike, then a leftover Victory. I wouldn't consider the Kawi or the Indian; the Kawi is too heavy and under powered with no new tech in years, the Indian, well, you would just have to be smitten by it to choose it over anything else. My choices are either high value up front or later.

·
Registered
1,252 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
We have a few leftover victory magnums in our area, my brother in law loves his victory crosscountry, just concerned that Polaris dropped them, issues down the road with warranty????

·
Registered
2,657 Posts
I loved the Magnum when I test-rode it a couple of years ago. I liked it better than the Chieftain and was said the Victory was the line to go, but Indian has the history.

·
Premium Member
2,192 Posts
We have a few leftover victory magnums in our area, my brother in law loves his victory crosscountry, just concerned that Polaris dropped them, issues down the road with warranty????
Should be no issues. Almost every Indian dealer is/was a Victory dealer and Ploaris committed to keeping parts stocked for 10 years... That's 2027. Warranty definitely not a problem; the dealers and service are still in business, they just stopped making new bikes.

·
Registered
1,252 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Rode a victory IMG_20170924_125024.jpg IMG_20170924_125024.jpg IMG_20170924_142625.jpg IMG_20170924_142625.jpg magnum today, didn't like the slammed rear end, rode a crosscountry and liked it, then got on a new Indian Springfield and holy crap loved it torque is impressive, sounds badass stock pipes, smooth and so sexy!,, might pick it up sat!

·
Registered
10,325 Posts
Rode a victory [iurl="http://www.RiderForums.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=112193&d=1506307436"]
[/iurl][iurl="http://www.RiderForums.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=112193&d=1506307436"]
[/iurl][iurl="http://www.RiderForums.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=112201&d=1506307503"]
[/iurl][iurl="http://www.RiderForums.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=112201&d=1506307503"]
[/iurl]magnum today, didn't like the slammed rear end, rode a crosscountry and liked it, then got on a new Indian Springfield and holy crap loved it torque is impressive, sounds badass stock pipes, smooth and so sexy!,, might pick it up sat!
Springfield was on my short list, and when the Harley dealer made me an offer on my Triumph for a '17 Road King I called the 3 Indian Dealers near me to see what they would do on a '16 Springfield. They were all thousands away so I went for the m8 Road King. I would have been happy with either, but the savings on the front end and savings down the road are a plus for the Harley. I can use all my Road Glide Ultra parts and Road King parts interchangeably.

Are you parting with the Super Tenere so soon?

·
Registered
1,252 Posts
Discussion Starter #20 (Edited)
Springfield was on my short list, and when the Harley dealer made me an offer on my Triumph for a '17 Road King I called the 3 Indian Dealers near me to see what they would do on a '16 Springfield. They were all thousands away so I went for the m8 Road King. I would have been happy with either, but the savings on the front end and savings down the road are a plus for the Harley. I can use all my Road Glide Ultra parts and Road King parts interchangeably.

Are you parting with the Super Tenere so soon?
Yeah want a better two up, gotta slow down and look at the scenery ...so smooth, they are way better deals in CT on the Indians, Harley only offering me $7 for my trade in . Indian was over 12k for my trade in lots of incentives and I'm buying from Indian of Springfield right in Westfield Mass how badass is that ,home of Indian! this one was ridden by one of their Tech's it only has 500 miles on it and had it's first service. their giving me crazy good tradein price on the tenere couldn't resist barely paying more than I was on the tenere. I'm signing Saturday and they deliver it to my house and pick up my trade anytime I need work done on it , warranty issues or oil changes they pick it up and deliver it back really really nice dealership as well small and homey

1 - 20 of 41 Posts