RiderForums.com - Kawasaki Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
tl;dr: I'd like a SENA SMH10R with three changes. 1) None of the voice prompting stuff. 2) Normal 2.5mm, 3.5mm, or mini-din jack for the phones/mic -- none of this proprietary plug business. 3) Roughly 1/3 the cost.

Long version:

I have a bluetooth enabled phone and GPS, paired together, and a wired headset (phones + mic) that plug into the GPS. I want to ditch the wires going from bike to helmet. I do not want to (read: will not) switch to a different system for the headphones and mic, I like the ones I have. The GPS works great as a music player and does an admirable job showing incoming calls and allowing me to answer them, so I don't need any of those 'smarts' built into the headset. I imagine the SMH10R without that stuff and it's voice recognition would be much cheaper than it is.

What I'm looking for is an inexpensive (say $50 or less, but this is not as important) bluetooth device supporting HFP and A2DP, as the SMH10R does, but with "normal" audio jacks to hook up the mic and headphones. I've considered just buying the SENA and cutting the pigtails off their mic and headphones, but at $150 for the thing, I'm trying to avoid going that route.

All the devices I've found so far are either just streaming things for music with no support for a microphone, or they are HFP/A2DP devices but only with the ability to plug your headphones in -- you must use the (useless on a bike) built in microphone.

Has anyone else already solved this problem? There are tons of devices out there that are inexpensive and seem like they would work just fine if it wasn't for that blasted built in microphone. I don't need any buttons or controls to answer the phone, navigate phonebooks, push to talk, or any of that. All I do need is a little bluetooth handsfree set that has audio jacks for the mic and headphones rather than having either one built in.

Bonus points if it has an external battery like the SENA for longer runtime, and/or buttons just for volume control, but neither is really that important.

I contacted SENA to ask about their SM10 and SR10, as the SR10 looked like it actually had a pretty good chance of working (plug headset into 'radio' plug, pair with gps instead of phone), but they said "nope." I think they are probably wrong about this, but the SR10 costs even more than the SMH10R so I'm not going to experiment.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 · (Edited)
I just came across a company "shark motorcycle audio" with a bluetooth helmet kit that's still somewhat expensive ($110) but it does appear to be just a bluetooth headset radio with *gasp* a normal plug (3.5mm 4 conductor) for the headset and mic.

Has anyone heard of or used this companies products?

Edit: Nevermind. Looks like typical junk being imported under half a dozen different names.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The Chatterbox XBI2 and XBI2H both look like they have a normal (2.5mm or 3.5mm 4-wire) plug.. does anyone have one of these to confirm?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts