RiderForums.com - Kawasaki Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just sold My 2007 CBR1000RR moments ago, and I'm now bikless. Why did I sell it? Well here's my background.

I'm now a older guy, and currently larger than I would like, but working on that. I live in Florida, so no twisties, no curves, no nothing. I'm in the very outer suburbs, so available roads are both straight country roads, as well as very heavy traffic city roads ( like my 1 hour commute to work). I guess this is why "everybody " in my age group rides HD. My issue is I don't like the looks, the style, the costumes, or the performance.Just not into it.

What I like is sport bikes, and love the looks of the RR's, but this State offers no where to really ride them. Also,being older, larger, and usually in heavy traffic, I hated the extreme forward riding position. That's why I sold the CBR. It was uncomfortable, bulky, and it was hard to control the extreme power. I love power and speed, but this was just too much, with no place to really use it. But, again, I loved the looks, and the sporty feel if it were not so extreme.

Then I tired my wife Ninja 250. Way to small, and slow, but I what a fun little bike! Just so comfortable and relaxed. I like the fact that you sit "in" the bike rather on the bike. Really felt locked in!( Maybe I do need a Harley?) I just felt like a bigger version of that 250 would be great. This leads me to the current N 650R. With the recent frame / styling upgrades, it really seems to be addressing all my needs? It's got the looks I love. The riding position seems just right? Its more upright, but still with a little lean forward. (Am I correct?). It appears the engine would be more usable in Florida traffic than the CBR was. I assume handling is great assuming no twisties here.

So is the Ninja 650 the perfect bike for me? My concern is the big drop in power. I didn't need CBR1000 power, but still don't want it to feel lacking. The biggest issue will be the awesome I4 sound and, I will really, really, really miss that.. :-(. Options would seem to be the Ninja1000, but that seem more like a big tourer, and heavy. I also don't think it looks as good as the new ninja 650. (ugly exhaust) Then there is there is the CBR 650R that everyone just loves. I'm not sure I do? The I4 is great. But, I think I may prefer the Ninja looks, and why did they go with the 600RR riding position? Whats the point of the bike at that? A less expensive RR? IF the would just have went with the Ninja position it would have been perfect. Or even better, adjustable bars!

I'm ready to buy right now I just need to find what may be my last bike!

·
Registered
11 Posts
I live in Florida and there are curvy roads, but you have to find them. I had liter bikes, last one was a CB1000R. I just traded an Iron 883 for for a leftover 2019 for an even swap. You can get some great deals on the 19's, just saying. As far as power, its probably all ya need for the street. Sure we always want more. But at 419 pounds wet and short gearing (15,46 sprockets) its no slouch. I can say it handles better than a bandit 1250 I had. The suspension is soft, which is good for the street. I read up on the cbr650 but wasn't impressed. I watched a video that said it was actually buzzier than the ninja. Plus Honda tends to run tall gearing which kinda takes a little of the fun factor out of the bike at lower revs imo. I had a VFR800 with tall gearing and hated that bike. It would actually buck in 2nd gear at low speeds forcing one to drop it into first.

I only had the ninja for a month and its not even fully broke in yet, so I can't really get on it. But it is quick and nimble and the brakes are adequate. It comes standard with abs in the rear and a slipper clutch. The power delivery is very linear, similiar to the bandit I had. Unlike the supersports which tend to start spooling up fast a a given rpm. Overall Im pretty pleased with it. But I also switch bikes alot, cause I get bored quickly. Keep in mind some dealers down here have the 19's for close to 2k off, might be worth looking into. Good luck with your decision.

Oh and the cbr650 is not the same riding position as the RR. I sat on it and its much more relaxed. But yeah not quite sure what Honda was going for there as they have the 500 twin. I just preferred a twin for the low and midrange torque. Plus again I like the gearing of the Ninja. I had a Versys 650 years ago and the gearing and engine was perfect for the street.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Probably in between. The bars are lower but they are still clip-ons that rise. Unlike the RR where they are below the triple tree.

·
Registered
408 Posts
Wmacky, I can not tell you what is the perfect bike for you. I don't really know you, but am also an older guy, living in Florida, who has been always after 'performance' in the past, I can relate about the 'too much' power and 'taking some concentration' to control.

I currently own a '16 Suzuki GSX-S1000 and a '91 Kawasaki Zephyr 750,and yes, the Suzzy, although not as radical as the Honda CBR 1000RR, it has way more power and handling I can use...it is really more of a racer with tall bars....and a handfull...constantly I find myself going a whole lot faster that I intent.

.......great bike an I enjoy it, but truly the 30 year old Kawasaki, air cooled and all that, is a easier to ride, more comfortable, more user friendly and a whole lot simpler in any way. Life is getting more complicated, not easier.......also the Kawi makes me enjoy reving it high without getting into any triple digits speed fast.....basically, I can enjoy myself rather than worrying it about overdoing it......

.,.....Am not saying you should get an old bike, ...but the truth, everybody should be OK with a 250cc, and if wanting little more fun, no one needs bigger than a 500 cc, but is the myth that "bigger, and more powerful' is better. That is why we see in the US young people going from point A to point B in gigantic diesel industrial trucks which only drain their wallets for a misguided sense of 'manhood'.

.....right know am yearning for a '88 Yamaha FZ600, air cooled and all....that would be truly a lot of fun and giggles..and it had tall bars, not clip-ons.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts