RiderForums.com - Kawasaki Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This may be viewed as a noob question...but here it goes.

We all know the stock mirrors on the 650R are next to worthless. I've seen the sw-motech extenders but to me, they just look bulky and strange and bar end mirrors are even worse IMO.

I really want mirrors with longer arms that will still look like they were supposed to come on the bike. So far, I've heard mention of using zx-14 mirrors...but are there any other OE mirrors out there that 650R owners have made work?

Thanks in advance!!

·
Registered
4 Posts
I've been using the bar end mirrors for about a year now and love them. In Oklahoma the mirrors have to be 3" diameter on each side, I went to Cycle Gear in OKC and found them (Motrax mirrors on sale right now $30, normally $60).

·
Registered
191 Posts
this may just be me, but after I put my sportbars on... the mirrors became more useful! With the stock bars... your right I had little to nothing....

·
Registered
1,207 Posts
The zx-14 mirrors work well. The take a little grinding to get them in, but I loved mine.
rirwin, Welcome to the forum man. :alcy:

·
Registered
250 Posts
Can we get a picture of those lovely zx-14 eyeballers. They speek volumes.
:silly:

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Can we get a picture of those lovely zx-14 eyeballers. They speek volumes.
:silly:
+1 I would really like to see what they look like. I don't have a problem modifying them. What year are they off of??

·
Registered
670 Posts
+1 I would really like to see what they look like too...

·
Registered
186 Posts
:worthless

·
Registered
122 Posts
I'm too cheap to buy the mo-tech extenders. At 60 bucks, could you blame me? I made the set of DIY mirror extenders using metal plates, stacked washers, and extra nuts and bolts I had laying around. Most of the parts came from the local walmart hardware department. Then I painted them black to match the bike. Parts were less than 5 bucks. If I drop the bike... the extenders bend.. just bend them back. I might make a rubber boot to cover the whole thing. You wont notice them unless you had a good hard look.

Parts:
You need plates similar to those found in a Walmart U-bolt kit. I found these in the hardware dept. but the plates were longer and not as wide. The U-bolt in the kit were not used.

washers - I bought the assorted variety.

nuts and bolts

Assembly:
Step 1: Sandwich the washers between the plates and then connect to base of mirror.
Step 2: bolt other end of plates to mirror.
step 3: paint to desired color.

How does it look?

sorry bout the quality, it looks better when zoomed out

looks like part of the bike.

I'm surprised no-one has thought of this or bothered to post it. People must be making millions off of us rich bikers.
It's a simple and cheap fix for a common issue. I was worried about vibration issues but I didn't have any.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts