RiderForums.com - Kawasaki Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Long time lurker around here. I've got an 06/07 Z750S I was lucky enough to pick up last spring from the dealership with 90km on it, amazing noone picked it up. All in black, love it to death, ride it all through the winter. (Which on Vancouver Island, winter isn't as terrible as the rest of Canada, I can get away with that). I'm looking at getting the ZX6R / 636 shock swap done for the rear shock to help the ride a bit, do that while the summer weather is still here (once the part arrives and I figure out how to get it set up). There's lots of half-information when I was trying to do my research for that, a lot of dead threads with unanswered questions.

That aside, one of the other mods I was thinking of just came to mind while searching for that shock on eBay. I normally avoid the 'cheap eBay Chinese' crap by default, as much as I realize there's some good stuff out there. These in particular caught my attention because of the idea of attention-catching. Getting drivers to notice you a little better. There's a DRZ400 in the area, guy's got a set of white LED strips on his handle guards, looks awesome. What I thought of when I saw these:

2006 2010 Kawasaki Z750 S Front Rear LED Turn Signal Running Tail Brake Light | eBay

Installation should be simple enough in itself. Would need to get whatever those units are called to control the flash rate for turn signals. But don't know about how visible the turn signals would be. Trying to get a video from the guy selling them, demonstrate how the light patterns work -- doesn't look like the running light converts to a full amber arrow, it's just the arrowhead and the white line. The rear one looks like it's got an amber tinge to it, but possibly not. LED's are bright, but less confusion, the better ...

TL;DR: I want your guys' opinion on these. Cheap crap that looks cool? Or genuinely worth the $40 shipping and electrical work? ((also, how the hell would they mount? stem looks too small compared to stock Z750 signal stem ...))

Pictures below to save an extra click:

695057127_o.jpg
695057103_o.jpg

·
Registered
142 Posts
To mount them you need an adapter plate that covers the original odd shaped hole in the fairing. Many companies make them, just search sport bike turn signal cover plate. I have led's for front, and rear, and the flash rate is fine without the led flasher relay. As far as the quality of these signals I can't say. I bought my front set on ebay for around the same price (probably from china), and they've been working great for over a year now. But I also bought my rear taillight with integrated signals in it off ebay (definitely from china), and it didn't fit at all and the wiring was all reversed so I had to modify it a bit to work. I added led strips running along side of the taillight for extra turn signals just to be more visible.

As far as the rear shock swap I've done that on my z750s. I talk about it here http://www.riderforums.com/z1k-z750-performance-upgrades/70108-636-rear-shock-swap-done.html

If you have any questions I usually check the forums once a day. Basically all you need is an '03 to '06 636 rear shock, and the links from a 636. All the bolts from your bike will work. If you try to use the Z linkage the rear ride height will be higher.

I've also done a complete front end swap using z1k and 636 parts if you ever have questions on that.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hey, will keep this short, on my phone.

Thanks a lot for the reply, it's a bit hard to find complete information on the forums, lots of variables and unanswered questions on the threads. Even when I got the shock, wasn't 100%sure it was the right one.

So I got a shock from an 05/06 ZX6R 636,gping to look at getting the coil off and doing a cleanup and inspection on it, maybe get the cool powder coated. As far as the link I need to keep ride height the same, this would be the assembly, correct? Just to confirm before I punch go.

05 06 Kawasaki ZX6R 636 Rear Dogbone Swingarm TO Shock Suspension Link | eBay

And thanks for your input on the lights. Probably going to just get a set of LED bars for DRLs, a bit of extra visibility.

Cheers,
Railker

1 - 4 of 4 Posts