RiderForums.com - Kawasaki Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had just bought my 2012 ninja 650 and I just put 1000 miles on it. When I took it in for the 600mi tune up I noticed gas puddles on the drive way where I park. I told the mechanic about it and he said thats not supposed to happen. So he told me I filled it too high, I dont fill it near as high anymore. Then it happened at half a tank, and said my black cover might make the gas expand and leak out the tube. Its only coming out the tube with the plastic resivoir. I wouldnt be so concerned but my chain is already starting to rust in spots and I think gas mite be getting on it. FIRST BIKE, I could be doing something totally wrong...PLEASE HELP!!!!
The mechanic is ordering me a new gas cap and were hoping that works. He said if that doesnt work I mite just have to deal with it, not liking that lol.

·
Registered
827 Posts
Sounds like an internal tank leak. Ask if you can pay them to fill it and then when it leaks, point out they did it wrong... Then the leaky tank will be replaced. Sometimes the nicest way of saying "you're full of it" is to allow them to come to the understanding on their own :)

·
Registered
827 Posts
Oh, btw, on a recent 90 F day, my black bike was out in full sun all day. All I had was the usual whistle of the maze on the cap when I got near it.

How much gas we talking? Pictures could possibly help.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
thanks! i will try that...hopefully this new gas cap mite be the answer. it hasnt done it recently so i cant take a picture of it...the biggest one i had was probably the size of a half dollar. i know its coming out of the hose because the end has the gas on it. if the new cap doesnt help i will try to get a new tank put on.

·
Registered
1,251 Posts
I just came in from being in the garage over 100 in there and I have never had that problem with either of my ninja's.
I'm wondering if the Op's bike is a CA model. I think they have charcoal canisters to filter the vents into before being exposed to the precious California air. When actual liquid gets into these canisters instead of just vapors, they will leak crap out for a while.

·
Registered
412 Posts
I have had gas leak from my bike but it was when I parked it right after filling it very high. Hasn't happened since.

·
Registered
827 Posts
Here is my bike after bringing it to work and parking outside.
View attachment 66449
Just by chance, what is your current fuel level in the tank? Was it filled in the last day or two?

You verified it is gas by putting your finger to the ground and smelling it?

Sorry to ask the obvious, but someone was bound to do it :)

If you get a chance later, fill it full, then slosh it with the cap on at the gas station.
I'd be willing to bet you have some weird form of cap leak and it is draining it during your ride without it necessarily being detected while riding (the fumes would be almost impossible to detect while moving).

As always, I could be wrong :)

·
Registered
970 Posts
I don't recall but it may have been full. I have seen this a couple of times as well as on my brothers 2012 250. And on Hot days.
It is from the gas hoses. You can see in the picture that the bottom hose is saturated up to the level of the top hose.

·
Registered
827 Posts
Had you not specifically said gas, I'd swear it was chain lube that hand flung into the sprocket cover, 'melted' then trailed down until it dripped. I've had this happen before.

As far as gas on the ground, I've filled it beyond full (up into the silver filler neck tube) and had it leak a few drips, not much more. I'm guessing gas cap. Do you still have the stock one on hand? If so, slap that in for a few weeks and see if it still leaks. Could be pressure is building to the point of it blowing by and then draining or perhaps through age it isn't providing the seal quality it once had.

Do you sit on it while filling, therefore compressing the suspension? If so, you may find the level may overflow just a tad on the side stand (I haven't studied this, others may be able to verify/kill this idea)

Just a few shots in the dark :)

·
Registered
970 Posts
I didn't fill it beyond full for sure.
Never have. But when you look at it without pics you can see that the longer hose is coated exactly up to the second hose.
I'm guessing the shorter hose (Which is the one it coming from) is the one that releases the pressure from the gas tank. If it didn't have a release they would blow and likely crack. Ever left a gas can un-vented? It expands and the can get bubbled.
image2.jpg

1 - 19 of 19 Posts