RiderForums.com - Kawasaki Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently purchased a 2001 ZR-7S. It has 6500 miles and a slow fuel leak from the #4 carb fuel bowl.
When I bought the bike it was fine. On the next tank of gas it started leaking fuel from the #2 carb bowl. I replaced all 4 bowl gaskets and had roughly 2 weeks with no leaks. This weekend I went out to the garage and noticed the familiar smell of gas, sure enough the #4 carb bowl is leaking. The rate of flow is about 1 drip every five minutes.

Any ideas on why it would be leak free for two weeks and then begin leaking?
When I was replacing the carb bowl gaskets I found that my tank petcock has fuel flow regardless of the indicator. The flow is stronger on prime but I still get fuel flowing when on Res or ON. The carb fuel needles looked good so I didn't worry too much about it.

Another thing... after a ride I can hear a whine/whistle from the fuel cap. If I open the cap I can hear the relief of pressure... it is slight but there.

Will rebuilding my petcock fix any of this? I'm running out of ideas on why this is happening. This forum has been very informative and helpful to me. There is a wealth of information that I have found useful so far.

Thanks in advance for your suggestions!

·
Banned
3,123 Posts
Will rebuilding my petcock fix any of this? I'm running out of ideas on why this is happening.
Yes but only the petcock part that you observed when you had it apart.

The slight pressure in the tank.......or a slight vacuum maybe......is normal.

The leak is not related to either of those.

Is the drain screw tight on the leaking carb ?

Could be the float needle not seating good.

I think I would fix the petcock and put a healthy dose of carb cleaner in the tank.
A properly working petcock will limit the leak.
The cleaner might free up a sticky needle.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The drain screw is tight. Of course it drips from the drain tip but there is a little gas above the bowl gasket, it looks like maybe it was wicking up from there. The outside of the bowl is wet all over. I'm going to order a petcock repair kit and see if that clears it. I'll get some carb cleaner in the tank too. Thanks for the ideas...

·
Registered
2,199 Posts
if that carb is leaking ..personaly id pull it and go thru it.....but its probably a combination of the seat not seating the float level wrong and the gasket out of wack

1 - 5 of 5 Posts