RiderForums.com - Kawasaki Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
10,328 Posts
Sorry to hear that you went down. Did you sustain any injuries?

I'm trying to picture how that could happen, but can't see how your foot caused the rear tire to lift. Were you not riding with the balls of foot on the pegs?

·
Registered
70 Posts
Sorry to hear that you went down. Did you sustain any injuries?

I'm trying to picture how that could happen, but can't see how your foot caused the rear tire to lift. Were you not riding with the balls of foot on the pegs?
im picturing him going into a turn, maybe, with the boot not tucked in well? but yeah, i dunno? either that or slow speed manuevering and just got unbalanced and put a foot down.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
no i was wearing my work boots so i had my steel toes under the shifter and after i hit the little bump it was just enough no injuries i was wearing my riding jack and jeans no real damage to the bike it was a 15-20 mph drop mind you my boots a 14 extra wide so think small water skis

·
Registered
10,328 Posts
no i was wearing my work boots so i had my steel toes under the shifter and after i hit the little bump it was just enough no injuries i was wearing my riding jack and jeans no real damage to the bike it was a 15-20 mph drop mind you my boots a 14 extra wide so think small water skis
Sounds like you could benefit from new rear sets that put your foot further back and up. Or some adjustable footpegs.

·
Registered
10,328 Posts
dose anyone recomend any no cut frame sliders
I really like the OEM frame sliders on my '07. I think they look the best and that is important until you go down. Then the billet aluminum with the puck on the end should take sliding forces the best IMO. Hope to never find out.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I would suggest not getting the no cut frame sliders. I put them on my 09 650r and they caused more damage then they were worth. The aluminum bent and popped a hole in my valve cover. Bike has not run since. No cuts are only good for dropping the bike in your garage. If you want frame sliders, should you ever go down while actually riding the thing, get the kind where you have to cut so they will actually protect your bike. I've been working on figuring out how to fix it now for a month with no success.

·
Registered
20 Posts
So since I can't start my own thread I will start it here...

I layed down my bike by locking the front tire up on gravel at a stop sign. Low Speed crash but my no cut frame sliders punched a hole in my valve cover. I ordered the parts and replaced the valve cover did an oil change and pulled out all the aluminum pieces from the valve cover.

I tried to start the bike and it sounded terrible and would not start.

I checked the timing and saw that it had been thrown off for whatever reason.

I reset the timing chain (set cams to correct timing positions) to its correct positions, put it all back together and tried starting it again. This time is sounded better and would occasionally attempt to run. Still not running though.

It sounds like the cams or valves aren't returning to position properly on cylinder 2 exhaust.

Question, should the bike still run even with a bent valve?

The DFI is not throwing any codes, gas in the tank, air filter is clean and clear, and there is spark from the plugs.

Any help or ideas on why the bike is not starting would be appreciated.

Thanks

Joe

·
Registered
10,328 Posts
I would suggest not getting the no cut frame sliders. I put them on my 09 650r and they caused more damage then they were worth. The aluminum bent and popped a hole in my valve cover. Bike has not run since. No cuts are only good for dropping the bike in your garage. If you want frame sliders, should you ever go down while actually riding the thing, get the kind where you have to cut so they will actually protect your bike. I've been working on figuring out how to fix it now for a month with no success.
Which no cut sliders do you have?

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
So since I can't start my own thread I will start it here...

I layed down my bike by locking the front tire up on gravel at a stop sign. Low Speed crash but my no cut frame sliders punched a hole in my valve cover. I ordered the parts and replaced the valve cover did an oil change and pulled out all the aluminum pieces from the valve cover.

I tried to start the bike and it sounded terrible and would not start.

I checked the timing and saw that it had been thrown off for whatever reason.

I reset the timing chain (set cams to correct timing positions) to its correct positions, put it all back together and tried starting it again. This time is sounded better and would occasionally attempt to run. Still not running though.

It sounds like the cams or valves aren't returning to position properly on cylinder 2 exhaust.

Question, should the bike still run even with a bent valve?

The DFI is not throwing any codes, gas in the tank, air filter is clean and clear, and there is spark from the plugs.

Any help or ideas on why the bike is not starting would be appreciated.

Thanks

Joe
You could have done some real damage if your cam timing was off. I suggest a compression check. If one of the cylinders checks low, you will have to pull the head.

·
Registered
10,328 Posts
I don't know the brand, I ordered them from the dealer where i bought the motorcycle.

Sorry
They should have some writing on them unless they are some off brand.

·
Registered
1,326 Posts
I don't know the brand, I ordered them from the dealer where i bought the motorcycle.

Sorry
So not the Ninja650Shop ones then? I've seen a lot of sh***y no cuts for this bike that anyone with half a brain would realize won't do anything in a crash.

Maybe your dealer put some of that crap on?

·
Banned
679 Posts
So not the Ninja650Shop ones then? I've seen a lot of sh***y no cuts for this bike that anyone with half a brain would realize won't do anything in a crash. :killingme

Maybe your dealer put some of that crap on?
The 650R shop sliders are the only company that I know of that doesn't have there name or some thing on the sliders but at the same time, most dealers won't deal with some one outside of their main providers unless its special requested. The only no-cut sliders that I know for the 650R that would be readily available at most dealers would be the Puig sliders...http://www.puigusa.com/tuning-bikes/kawasaki-ninja-650r-2009/puig-crash-pads/c171en/f234-r49-m2089/. Based on pics I've seen they don't seem very sturdy.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts