RiderForums.com - Kawasaki Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 72 Posts

·
Registered
1,397 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
a slow left hander... road was clear and dry, no debris... tires were warm. in a comfortable lean... smooth on gas, nice line did not cross the grease strip. I'm in lane position 1. I was taking it much easier than I have thru it many times before... I wasn't even trail braking the corner, wasn't pushing hard on the handle bars... nothing!! smoooth!

I'm the at apex....
boom down she goes. it tucked the front end.
it went down so fast I never even had a chance to try and save it. all I could hear was scraping...
I was rolling flipping for about 1 sec or 2.

I have ridden that corner hundreds of times and pushed way harder.

she slid into soft muddy (some rocks) a 2 ft ditch with a 3-4' grass hill on the other side of it, chain link fence above that,
she slid in then stood up and fell over on the other side..

I did some gymnastics... a slide/roll feet first into the ditch, caught them and cartwheel/rolled flipped... landed upside down back down (back protector paid for it self big time) small baseball size rocks every where.
buddies ran over...
I'm lying there with my legs twisted bent (from what they said)
but pointed at the chain link fence above me.
I'm doing a head stand. "don't f*****g touch him "he's got broken legs!!!" lol

I'm winded and groaning... "my legs are fine". they are like "what hurts?"
I say "my neck I wrenched it"- they scream "don't bleeping move him" he's got a broken neck!" lmao

I'm lying there upside down wiggling my toes knees hands...thinking "check , check, check" then I rolled over on to my side and as he pulled me up.
and 3 got the bike out of the mud and up.

We walked back thru the scrape line and found nothing on the road.
I threw my jacket off to have a look at my stinging elblow.. just a burn/scrape not even really bleeding. hips knees all good.

I looked it over... nothing pissing out no leaks.... so I fired it right up
and nothing was out of whack so I rode it to a car wash sprayed it down and then rode it home.
She left my house on the back of the Burnaby Kawasaki pickup truck. Thanks to their awesome service manager, came over on his day off and picked her up and a nice bottle of wine from Chilly for his trouble.

She will be receiving some sweet carbon fiber band-aids soon. tail tidy, renthal fats new mirror, clutch side pazzo, new belly pan. bar ends. head light case. really just some new skins.

all in all, I'm lucky, i've got a sore neck, back and scrape on my elbow (from the inside of my jacket), textile torn at the shoulder and arm. Shoei is scraped on the side and top from my break dancing head spin/gymnastics.
gloves are fine scraped but held their own ...
and get this... pants are have just a slight scrape line. one buckle on my boot is scraped.

guys, all's good. :) I always thought I would be way more pissed and upset about it all... but hey whatever.
we have a history together now.

she will have some nice carbon fiber band-aids and be sexier than ever.
I'm in tact and that's all that matters. went home got "the look" from the wife... and hugged her and the kids.

my advice to you still riding that crap oem rubber; lose it!

the boys came over for a beer after and the jokes were on me! :buttkick:
"hey if you want to go dirt biking; let's get different bikes next time"

we also have a game of price is right going too...
guessing what the grand total is.. bets are from $4500 - 6500
and one smart-a$$ guessing just $1. lol we'll see who wins.

cheers

·
Registered
38 Posts
Sorry about the bike. Congrats on walking away. I just went through an unintentional get off a couple weeks ago, due to t-boning a cager who turned left across my lane. I agree walking away unscathed helps fight off the anger of going down. I agree with the OEM rubber. I'll be putting new tires on this weekend hopefully. I noticed it scraped the Kawasaki label clean off.:)

·
Registered
44 Posts
First and foremost: glad you're not badly damaged! Bike damage sucks for sure, but is a lot easier to repair than body damage...

But I'm still confused about why you went down in the first place. Are you saying that you believe you went down only because of your (stock) tires? Are they especially worn (or significantly more worn than the last time you when through the same turn, pushing even harder than you were this time)? Also, I believe Kawi used two different OEM tires, depending on geography - which do you have?

I've got the Dunlop's on mine. And while they seem to be wearing incredibly fast, they also seem to be quite sticky (in a good way).

Again, glad you're OK!

·
Registered
1,397 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
First and foremost: glad you're not badly damaged! Bike damage sucks for sure, but is a lot easier to repair than body damage...

But I'm still confused about why you went down in the first place. Are you saying that you believe you went down only because of your (stock) tires? Are they especially worn (or significantly more worn than the last time you when through the same turn, pushing even harder than you were this time)? Also, I believe Kawi used two different OEM tires, depending on geography - which do you have?

I've got the Dunlop's on mine. And while they seem to be wearing incredibly fast, they also seem to be quite sticky (in a good way).

Again, glad you're OK!
hey guys thanks for the well wishing. my buddies and I (some of them racers) went thru a check list (no road debris, pebbles sand nothing!, lean, line, my positioning, braking, handle bar pressure, and we all agreed it was the tires) they were warm (17celius was the day temp, 30 mins of riding on the tires, well scrubbed)

I have gone thru that corner on warmer days faster with this bike and my old bike (sport touring rubber) I wasn't pushing the limits at all. The tires have 2300kms on them.
it was cooler but still plenty warm enough.

hope that clears some it up, please don't be shy about expressing your thoughts I welcome them, as I would like to learn from this.

·
Registered
1,397 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

·
Registered
57 Posts
You're not bad injured, that's the good news. :alcy:

In our forum here in Germany there are various discussions about the OEM tire(s). Afaik, for non-ABS version (ZRT00D) Kawi has Dunlop Sportmax D210 and for ABS (ZRT00E) Pirelli Diablo.

In Germany only the ABS version is sold - so Pirelli Diablo. I guess you were riding on Dunlops.

Some like the Pirelli, some are very disappointed. I had no situation where the Diablo was that bad that I had to change it before it was worn out. The Diablo has good grip if it's on temperature. But it loses the temp quite fast. So you have to be careful after some minutes without twisties, especially when the temp is below 20°C. Some guys here reported about suddenly skids.

·
Registered
78 Posts
I have the Dunlop 210s on my Z. Apparently that tire was created by Dunlop for Kawi and I believe Suzuki as an oem tire. When I googled the 210 all I came up with was that small bit of info. There isn't to much out there to see what others think about these tires. With that said I run 34 front and 32 rear psi when the weather was dry and 75-85 degrees. My suspension has been professionaly set. I've had pretty good grip and feedback from the tires. When we stop for a break the tires have been hot and very tacky all the way from center tread to the shoulder. Would I trust them as much as a premium tire,no but they have served me well with becoming familiar with the Z.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Good ta hear you came out of it OK.

·
Registered
1,397 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I have the Dunlop 210s on my Z. Apparently that tire was created by Dunlop for Kawi and I believe Suzuki as an oem tire. When I googled the 210 all I came up with was that small bit of info. There isn't to much out there to see what others think about these tires. With that said I run 34 front and 32 rear psi when the weather was dry and 75-85 degrees. My suspension has been professionaly set. I've had pretty good grip and feedback from the tires. When we stop for a break the tires have been hot and very tacky all the way from center tread to the shoulder. Would I trust them as much as a premium tire,no but they have served me well with becoming familiar with the Z.
I regret not setting my suspension right away I was planning on it this saturday.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Most important thing is that you are OK.

I would agree with you if you feel that the tires are the main cause. The OEM tires DO slip and slide when pushed hard. There were a few occasions that the Dunlops slips on hot dry corners and I am riding in hot tropical weather! Furthermore, they need quite some time to warm up, especially if the roads are cool. You will feel the drastic changes in the bike's handling when you change to a good set of tires. Until then, be conscious of the tires' limitations especially on corners. :alcy:

·
Registered
1,397 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Glad your OK dude! :alcy: Black ice? :dunno: (cold and wet in Vancouver?)
nah bro it was about 17degrees Celsius.
The roads were dry and clean. In my opinion it was all about that crappy rubber and it being pushed too hard/suspension not set for me and maybe a mystery set of pebbles.... wtfk....

anyhoo... she's in the shop getting looked after. I will be swapping in a powerbronze hugger, chain guard and bellypan hopefully. maybe even some rizoma mirrors.

looking at a Arai RXQ helmet and new jacket and pants. shopping is good for the soul!

thank you for all the well wishing. I'm feeling better already.
I had a left side headache and a watery eye for about 2 days and it's fading now. my back is feeling much better. The shoulder seems to be reacting weirdly to some sort of internal swelling so I'm on some anti-inflammatory now.

·
Registered
293 Posts
Holy crap dude glad you're alright, I got mine at BK also, small world.

Knock on wood, I'm gonna go check my tires...

·
Registered
1,397 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Holy crap dude glad you're alright, I got mine at BK also, small world.

Knock on wood, I'm gonna go check my tires...
I would lose those crap tires. Do not risk ur neck and your new bike for $400
it's not worth being thrifty.

cheers

·
Registered
1,570 Posts
I had a similar experince years ago on my EX500. Glad to hear you are alright. As for the tires, Ihaven't had the oportunity to push mine hard yet, so the Dunlops stay for now.

·
Registered
1,397 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I had a similar experince years ago on my EX500. Glad to hear you are alright. As for the tires, Ihaven't had the oportunity to push mine hard yet, so the Dunlops stay for now.
thats the point; i wasnt even pushing

·
Registered
1,570 Posts
I understand. The lay down on my EX was going through a right hand turn lane at 15 miles per hour or so. Front end just disappeared. Sucked since I had just replaced the body work from the last time I laid it down and still had a cast on my arm(Yup, I even rode broken).

·
Registered
33 Posts
Good to hear you came out good spirits. Sucks to have an accident, even worse when you just can't put your finger on what went wrong. I can relate to it, but i know what went wrong with my accidents. It was purely my ability, or 'inability' to ride.
Love to see some photos of the after repairs.
Hey, just a thought about your accident, and its something i've learnt recently by doing a California Super Bike school, is having positive throttle in a corner. By that, i don't mean 100% thru the turn, but setup, turn in, and slowly increase throttle thru the turn. The exercise we were trying to understand, was keeping weight on the rear tire as much as possible, as it was the biggest surface area in contact at all times. This is something I'm practicing all the time when I'm riding now. Previously i would roll thru a corner at a comfortable speed, get passed the apex, and screw it back on. On my Zeddy, my front tire was down to the wear indicators on the sides, and brand newish in the middle still. At first i thought it was a dodgy front tire, but low and behold, it was my incorrect riding style. I was loading the hell out of the front tire in corners. I'm suprised i haven't had a low side yet, like you have just described. The OEM tires here in Australia are pirelli diablo rosso's. In my opinion, ace tires. Then they wore funny, and i hated them. (No fault of the tires tho). They were always a positive feel. But, I'm a Michelin lovin' guy, and went for Pilot Powers. Now these puppies are the bomb. Sticks like **** to a blanket on the track, and after 2000km of wear, and my improved riding style, i'm getting 'regular' wear patterns again.
I don't mean to threat hijack, i just thought maybe this could be one scenario as to what went wrong on that fateful day. Love to hear your thoughts.

Rob

1 - 20 of 72 Posts