RiderForums.com - Kawasaki Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys,

I am totally at my wits end. I have an '82 KZ705 kwacker that I have converted into a cafe racer, and have ridden for a couple years. Compression has always been low on it.

I recently did valve stem seals and the rings - TWICE! reason being I inadvertently put 3 of the 4 compression rings in upside down :faceplalm: not knowing there was a profile to these , but that isn't the reason I am posting on this forum.

Since doing the rings, I did manage to get the timing spot on the first (wrong) time, that is she started and ran fine (apart from smoking like a locomotive) but now I have had to lift the cams off of the head 3 times, and still am not winning as the timing is rough as a badgers bum.
The first two times were because the automatic timing chain tensioner had failed, and the cam chain jumped a tooth, whilst running (so yes, she started then). I realized the problem, and with some help from a good friend we fabricated a new manual chain tensioner and have installed that.

Now that we have installed the cam chain tensioner, set the timing to TDC, and put the cams back on the head (with marks flush with the head), counting the teeth from 0 ("K7EX" mark) and having the "IN" mark between the 45th and 46th tooth, as per the manual, and turned the engine over by hand to make sure there's no serious mechanical issues, shes behaving very badly - backfiring through the exhaust, and carbs - when we eventually got her to take, but that said, the starter seems to be held up and makes a terrible noise.

We thought that we had perhaps tightened the cam chain tensioner too tightly, but that wasn't it.. we loosened it to "soft hand tight".. and even tried the reverse and tightened it a little tightly too. .. still no difference.

We thought that perhaps we swapped the underbucket shims - on the exhaust vs the inlet side, but nope, thats not it either, and we have compression.

So finally, after all that - here's my question. When setting the cams I have been using the TDC mark, and seem to remember us using the F "Fire" mark the first time (cant be sure) - the manual clearly says TDC mark should be used.. so that's what I have been insisting on doing - but am really starting to doubt this now.

Also, some insight into the starter motor noise, it was removed, but ran just fine the first time, and hasn't been removed since.
Now, it runs.. and then 'catches' making a horrible noise.

My thoughts are that this is also timing related, and that the engine fires BTDC and tries to push the crankshaft backwards, stopping the starter motor.. possible?!

We have tried to advance the timing slightly on the points, (not really possible with this bike) - but still to no avail.

I'd apreciate any advice, good bad or ugly - before I wheel it out the workshop and set it alight. :FIREdevil

-

·
Registered
156 Posts
Sounds like it's out of time never been inside a kz and this might not be the best forum for it but hopefully someone can be more help. Are you positive the correct cylinder is all the way up when you set the timing? You can verify by sticking a screwdriver down the spark plug hole and make sure it's not still going up or back down at the timing mark. Also are you sure all 4 plugs are firing

·
Banned
2,525 Posts
I don't know anything about that engine specifically. But the basics should still apply. If you're checking your valve clearances, does everything work out the way it's supposed to? For example you set the crank so you should be checking such and such cylinders, are the pistons and cams where they are supposed to be?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts