RiderForums.com - Kawasaki Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
706 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Best Regards Team:

I fueled the tank today with 92 octane premium and took the bike for a spin (40 miles) in the open road..Above 7000 rpm's I feel ( I can not hear 'cause of the wind blast) some kind of knocking sound/feeling in the engine, is that normal? . I always use regular fuel and normally I never rev the engine more than 6000 rpm's. Is that knocking "feeling" normal"? I can feel it in my legs is not very strong but you cann feel "something" Any ideas?

Happy Holidays...!

·
Wheelie for Safety
1,550 Posts
Hi Robert,

Interesting that you do not ever go above 6,000 RPM. That is where the fun begins. I think it is good to rev the engine up to at least 8,000 RMP everytime you go for a ride because it helps clean out carbon deposits.

What you felt may have been pinging from carbon deposits that ignited the air/fuel mixture before the spark plug got a chance to do it. The pinging sound is from the air/fuel mixture expanding while the piston is still going up.

I use regular gas and rev it to 9,000 without any pinging. So I don't think the premium gas had anything to do with it.

On the other hand, it might be just normal engine vibration that you are not used to.

Another thought is have you cleaned your air filter or changed the spark plugs lately?

Andy

·
Registered
706 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Best Regard Andy:

The bike has only 1500 miles. I just performed the 500 mile service at the dealer with valve adj. included. I never ride the bike higher than 80 MPH. Bike has only rev to 7500 RPMS's and that was only one time...So maybe that "feeling" is normal but I'm not used to. Wandering if some else have noticed that. I'm planning to change the oil myself on Christmas weekend. When riding I always up-shift around 5000 RPM's. Next time will try not to freak out and keep the revs. to 8000 RPM before upshift.

Ride Safe...!

·
Registered
374 Posts
I think what you are feeling is normal. I regularly redline (1-2 and 2-3 shift at 9,000+) my ZR (after riding the ZX its the only way to make it feel fast), and the only sensation I experience is the buzziness of the motor and there isn't a whole lot to do about it because of the design - it just the way old two-valvers behave.

On point of caution on babying the motor after break in: just because your past 1,000 mile doesn't mean the break in is over. Most mechanincs will tell you to rev it hard while still under 3,000 miles. This helps seat the piston rings. Also, bogging the motor is never good - it leads to detonation (pinging) and other harmful side effects of overloading the motor. Getting it out on the open road and zooming up a few gears is the way the bike was designed to run and will prevent long term problems. Plus 'you go like hell'!

:smilewink

·
Registered
706 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Got it. I'm so a wuzz....Thanks for the answers guys! Another question and pardon my ignorance.....

Will be OK to rev the bike high (8K-9K) in neutral? Just standing still in the garage?

Ride Safe.....

·
Registered
374 Posts
I don't think it will hurt to put it on the center stand and rev it. Just be careful, I not sure what the ZR uses (if anything) for a rev limiter. With no load its easy to overrev. Also, you really need the load for seating the rings.

Take it out to a lonely road and pound it!

·
Registered
1,722 Posts
I'm with Kawman on this. Don't rev and hold it in neutral!! That sound makes me cringe. Just find a back road and slam it to 9K in 1st and 2nd from a stop sign. You'll only be over the speed limit slightly. And you'll feel better for it.:D

You don't have to worry about wheelies, believe me. I takes effort to bring it up from a roll. I'm not sure what would happen if you pinned it from a dead stop.

My engine seems to smooth out above 7000 RPM. Aahh, beautiful noise. Maybe it just reminds me of the old MX bikes. But that's where the engine is made to live. Don't baby it, you'll clog it up, like a person sitting on the couch all day eating sugar covered fat bombs clogs up their arteries.

I'm not saying ride like a crazed banshee all the time, but you gotta ring it out occassionally!
;)

kelly

·
Dirty Harry.... Moderator
9,816 Posts
DITTO, Kelly. And once you put on an aftermarket slip on (Micron, Yoshi, Muzzy, D&D, Kerker, etc.) it becomes second nature, as the sound of 7-9000rpm becomes extremely addictive and the adrenaline rush that comes with it. Tom :cool:

Disclaimer: I would not rev the ZR to high in neutral, let the bike warm up and all the oil is where it's supposed to be (in the motor) when you leave the driveway.

·
Registered
706 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Update

Best regards Team:

I totally forgot about updating this issue. Sorry.

In my last rides I have been reving and shifting the bike around 7000-7500 RPM's. I can not feel that sensation any more I just noticed is the normal vibration of the engine and that maybe I was very nervous thinking about the engine will explode (I guess it was only the wimp factor) ....

Anyway, after shifting gears around 7500 I can only say: WOW! it pulls HARD...! I'm not nervous any more and in some occasions I upshift around 8500RPM's! Now my Downtown rides are only in 1st. gear, max. speed around Downtown is 35MPH. I now wonder why in the heck the Owners Manual advised the upshifting in that way...(1st-2nd @9MPH, 2nd-3rd @ 15MPH, [email protected], [email protected]) Any ideas regarding this? I was following the instructions regarding the upshifting until now. (First bike ever).

Ride Safe.

·
Wheelie for Safety
1,550 Posts
Hi Robert,

Liability reason most likely. If your a new rider they want you to take it easy. It worked. Now that you are no longer a beginner, you can drive it like it was designed to be ridden.

Andy

1 - 10 of 10 Posts