RiderForums.com - Kawasaki Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Wheelie for Safety
1,550 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Do you like to wear Levi's when you ride (I do), here is a way that you can be comfortable and get some additional protection. They are kevlar armored denim jeans by Fast Company located in North Carolina. Check out their web site.

http://www.dragginjeans.com/HOME.html

I pay about $40.00 plus tax for regular Levi jeans, so the ones from Fast Company are not that much more. You can also get armor inserts for them.

Andy 2001 ZR-7S

·
West Coast Moderator
12,996 Posts
kevlar jeans

The instructions for my bullet proof vest say not to wash the kevlar inserts. I don't know if the kevlar breaks down with detergent or what. Now, I'm not worried about stopping bullets with my pants, but what are the cleaning instructions for the pants?

·
Dirty Harry.... Moderator
9,816 Posts
Hey Martin, nobody I have asked can tell me why kevlar can't be washed, my guess is same as yours. If the pants are denim, I suppose you remove the kevlar inserts and wash em like ordinary jeans. BTW, what type ballistic vest do you use? I looked at the web site and found the company is about a 2 1/2 hour drive from home. Tom

·
West Coast Moderator
12,996 Posts
Kevlar

I'll have to get back on the make. It's at work and it's an issue item. I'm kinda thinking that it either breaks down or since it's 2 panels sewn together it may not let enough air around it to totally dry and then start rotting. But it will take up to small caliber rifle rounds at a snail pace. It'll take on a .375 round with no problem (so it says, I'm in no hurry to do real world testing).

Attachments

·
Silver Member
607 Posts
i was told kevlar can't be washed because it breaks down the fibers in the individual threads which will weaking its stopping power.

·
West Coast Moderator
12,996 Posts
This is the 2nd vest I've had. The 1st one smelled like a wet dog by the time I was finished with it. I've only had to wear this one a few times, so it's not bad (yet). I'm sure by the time I'm done, it'll "stop a charging Rino".
This Kevlar riding gear has me bugged though. The theory behind Kevlar it that it pulls together at the point of contact, but it has 0, zilch, nada, no padding qualities to it (I got hit with a rock in the back and felt every bit of it). Leather and alot of the new fabrics have the same anti-rip qualities and are more user friendly. It sounds impressive and all to be wearing Kevlar (until you have that 10 lb. helmet on your noggin) and it may give a person more piece of mind, but is it really worth it?
:?
I do realize the applications are quite different (military v. motorcycling), but Kevlar is Kevlar, whether it's on a tank or your pants.

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
aerostitch has a pretty scathing review of kevlar used for motorcycling on their site:
http://www.aerostich.com/riderwearhouse.store
go to aerostitch suits->the straight story on kevlar.

basically the fiber is too rigid. since it can't stretch it breaks down quickly while getting dragged over pavement. i think kevlar is probably still better than denim. cordura nylon is great for hot days but nothing beats leather for durability if your sliding on your asphalt ;)

scott

·
Registered
28 Posts
I am curious who has worn the "Draggin" jeans. I have seen their adds and have visited their website. How do they hold up? Can you wash them ? Their site appears to show the arramid fibers stitched directly to the jeans.

Thanks for your input.
gtp754

·
Silver Member
881 Posts
I have a pair of the dragginjeans cargo pants, that these days I wear as an overpant over my office work pants ( coz I took up cycling and lost weight ). The kevlar is a heavy yellow hessian-like fabric sewn into the ***/hips and knee/shin areas. My mates dragginjeans are the same. Just throw them in the machine like regular pants comes wash day.

Spidi also make a kevlar jean which has removable (velcro) hip/knee pad inserts. I actually bought the hip inserts only ( about aussie $25.00) from the distributor, and had them sewn into a pair of long johns to wear under fashion cargos/jeans etc . I wear these when I am just commuting or trying to look cool haha

·
Registered
37 Posts
Washing Kevlar

You might want to try calling the local police department as they have lots of kevlar and must wash it somtime.

cu
Mark:)

·
Dirty Harry.... Moderator
9,816 Posts
what do folks sometimes call cops?

If ya don't wash your Kevlar, then you should be called a "PIG" -- I can't believe I just said that! Oh well, my vest stays in the trunk of my G-car and doesn't get used often enough to get washed. I may have spoken too soon. :mecry: Please don't send me to DC.

·
West Coast Moderator
12,996 Posts
Oh Look! It's "Air Marshall" Tom!:laugh: (Just don't shoot towards the windows).:eek:

·
Registered
988 Posts
I have a pair - they actually look like a nice pair of jeans, indeed somewhat stylish with stitching patterns that others don't have (bear in mind that stylish to me means basically anything that fits :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: )

So far as I know, you can wash them and dry them in a tumble dryer - so shrinkage is not a problem. I've already done this twice.

The only big no-no (ie. don't do it) is to leave them in the sun to dry - that's what causes the kevlar to break down.

The local manufacturer/whatever is a short walk from my office - I can go and check if you like.

·
Registered
8 Posts
BMW Jeans (!)

I wear leather most of the time, but on a hot day I really like the comfort of a pair of blue jeans. Or, if you're seeing some friends for a coffee it might be nice not to look like someone from the Addams family at the café. Only problem is that I don't feel safe, for a good reason. Denim doesn't withstand asphalt abrasion for more than a few meters.:mecry:

I found a solution to this in the BMW rider wear collection, they have a pair of denim look-alikes that are made of their own fabric called Inotex, which contains denim and kevlar. They feel like wearing a pair of jeans, only four times heavier and with knee pads, are really comfortable and machine-washable in 40 degrees Celsius. I haven't had a chance to slide asphalt with them, but they are supposedly just as tear-resistant as leather (according to BMW). Only problem is they cost 200 US dollars! I got mine for 100 dollars on a late season sale here in Sweden, but still!

See for yourselves on

https://www.bmw-shop.com/cgi-bin/c1.storefront/el

(Quote from the BMW site, please excuse the sales talk)
InoTex suit trousers
Art. Nr. 72 60 2 341 535

Looks like a cool pair of jeans but is in fact a fully functional pair of motorcycle trousers - thanks to InoTex. InoTex is a unique combination of jeans and Kevlar® and has abrasion values equal to leather. In these trousers, you not only look cool in classic five-pocket styling, you are also safe on the road. With detachable and adjustable knee protectors and pocket for hip protectors. Colour: black
(Unquote)

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
what si the wind/temperature protection on the bmw jeans like? i find that long ridea are often a bit cold in plain old jeans and am considering leather or something else partly because of that. i'm also looking for better protection.

scott :)

·
West Coast Moderator
12,996 Posts
Now's a good time to keep your eyes open for sales. The shops are getting rid of last years stock and it's almost X-mas. I picked up a pair of Answer gloves for the dirt for $9.00 pr. normally $17.00 pr. while in Fresno this week-end. Also, Motoworld of El Cajon is having a "Midnight Madness Sale" coming up soon. They put most of the stock on sale and no tax. But it's only in the store, not on their website ( www.motoworldofec.com ).

·
Registered
8 Posts
Wind protection BMW jeans

scottaraujo said:
what si the wind/temperature protection on the bmw jeans like? i find that long ridea are often a bit cold in plain old jeans and am considering leather or something else partly because of that. i'm also looking for better protection.

scott :)
Scott,

They come equipped with windproof lining that works really well. The wind protection make them definitely warmer than regular jeans during riding, but still very close to the comfort of regular jeans off bike. My leathers are warmer, though, but the whole idea for me is to have something that doesn't make me break out in a sweat before I even jump on the bike on a hot day.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts