RiderForums.com - Kawasaki Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone

I am the excited owner of a new 2012 Candy lime green Ninja 1000 (Z1000sx). I have been investigating tank pad's and came across the 3M full paint protection kit. The kit consists of 26 individual pieces that cover the tank, tank sides fairing, headlights and so on. It is a clear film that you apply (similar to the tankslapper option). My questions is, has anyone used this and if so, what do they think of it.

Thanks

Raysaw

·
Registered
8,780 Posts
I have not bought the complete kit, but probably should have. They also sell cut to fit pieces that are fun to mess with on the back section, etc. The 3m film is nothign short of stunning. It is thin, yet strong as can be. You really dont notice it once its on. Its also easy to cut, so I've put several pieces on my tank. It appears to hold up well.

Its also fairly easy to work with. Be sure and order some blank material as you'll want it for lots of other things in the house/garage.

·
Registered
435 Posts
I have used the 3M stuff in the past on other bikes and it is great. I was just reading last night about this and where to source it as I've been off the street a while.
I like the pre-cut kit, but for $90 I think I'd about rather get a 12" x 48" roll for $35 and do it myself and have plenty left over. I'm not sure I want EVERY area of the bike covered and would use every piece in the pre-cut kit.

·
Registered
134 Posts
I've used the 3M pre-cut kit on the gas tank and headlights (this was in the summer of 2011 before they made the full kit). I used Sticker On (link below) to help with placement and adhesion and it works better than baby shampoo and water. The 3M material is very nice and durable. Many dealerships sell the Sticker On spray, which is where I found it.

Hardline Products - Sticker-On!

·
Registered
492 Posts
Sticker-On! is essential when you are putting graphics on a motocross bike! As far as the 3M clear bra kit for bike... OH HECK YEAH!!! I've been avoiding getting a tank pad because I think they look ghey, but I've done the 3m to the front of my cars, and it's a life saver. I have a friend who had his whole car covered in the stuff (Ferrari F430), and it's allowed him to drive it without worrying about rock chips and such. I'm buying that kit, but I'm having it professionally installed.

·
Registered
435 Posts
After doing a LOT of reserach and google'ing this morning, I've decided to go with the Xpel Ultimate over the 3M Scotchguard. Many forum discussions pertaining to installing "clear bra's" on very expensive vehicles swayed my decision. Reportedly the Xpel Ultimate is absolutely glass smooth and clear and has zero "orange peel" effect at all. The "self healing" qualities of the material helped to sell me on it too.

I've orderd 12" x 60" roll of it and will make my own templates to cover the areas of the bike I am concerned about. I'll post up pics and all when I get the stuff and start the install process.

·
Registered
492 Posts
Reportedly the Xpel Ultimate is absolutely glass smooth and clear and has zero "orange peel" effect at all. The "self healing" qualities of the material helped to sell me on it too.
I had forgoten about that! There are two brands out there that are self healing and glass smooth, I can't remember the other one though.

·
Registered
855 Posts
Currently on the C14, Z1K, and my Nissan Frontier. Did the G37S (sold now) back in 2008 and dad's '07 Impala back then.

Keep your finger tips slicked-up, or you'll see finger prints in the film for ever - my experience during the first application.

·
Registered
381 Posts
I went with the tankslapper version as I didn't want to deal with adhesives from the 3M stuff. Plus I can take it off and clean/polish underneath it then simply repply it. The films will scuff over time so at some point you'll probably want to replace it, hence why I didn't want to deal with adhesives lol.

·
Registered
435 Posts
After doing a LOT of reserach and google'ing this morning, I've decided to go with the Xpel Ultimate over the 3M Scotchguard. Many forum discussions pertaining to installing "clear bra's" on very expensive vehicles swayed my decision. Reportedly the Xpel Ultimate is absolutely glass smooth and clear and has zero "orange peel" effect at all. The "self healing" qualities of the material helped to sell me on it too.

I've orderd 12" x 60" roll of it and will make my own templates to cover the areas of the bike I am concerned about. I'll post up pics and all when I get the stuff and start the install process.

So I got my kit in the other day and have been working on making templates and cutting out / installing the film pieces this week in the evenings. I still have the front fender left to do. The film looks very good, I think better than the 3M film I used in the past, but I don't have that bike anymore to do side by side compare. I made templates for the front, tank top, tank pad, tail sides and tail top. I think I may make some for the knee area of the fairing as well. If anyone is interested, I'll try and scan them and see if they are true to size and put them in pdf form and send them out at some point. IT WON'T BE TODAY THOUGH - likely in a few weeks. I can take some pics and show where the templates would fit so you can see them before deciding if you'd want them or not.

·
Registered
8,780 Posts
I'd love to have the patterns. That 3m film is great, so finding something better woudl be very cool. Is the cost on the better film reasonable?

·
Registered
435 Posts
Think it was around $60 for the Xpel Ultimate in a roll 12" wide x 5' long. I'm going to end up using all 5' of it if I do the knee areas of the mids. I did not do the sides of the tank.

·
Registered
435 Posts
Ok, so I have been working on making tempaltes and installing the Xpel Ultimate film on the bike all week. Just messing around with it a couple hours in the evenings. I got a roll 12" wide x 5' long and I've used every bit of it. Have some small scrps left, but nothing to do any large areas, and in fact I had to make the knee template shorter than I wanted because I didn't have enough film left to do it. It still covers the area the knee would rub though.

They aren't computer cut, so not *perfect*, but I am VERY picky and I am happy with how they turned out. Covers all the areas of the bike I was concerned about.

I'll try and get them scanned and see if the scale holds true week after next, not gonna be able to this week.

They may be hard to see against the white, I tried to hold them at an angle to help.

Just as a note, the film is on every area of the bike in these pics.

Nose of bike
Headlamp White Automotive lighting Vehicle Light

Helmet Automotive exterior Bumper Personal protective equipment Headlamp

Headlamp Automotive exterior Automotive lighting Bumper Vehicle

Headlamp Automotive lighting Automotive exterior Light Vehicle

·
Registered
435 Posts
Front fender

Automotive exterior Tire Bumper Automotive lighting Automotive tire

Tire Automotive tire Auto part Disc brake Rim

Tank

Camera Material property Technology Cameras & optics Honda

Automotive design Shoulder Material property Neck Technology

Mids

Vehicle door Automotive exterior Bumper Automotive design Vehicle

·
Registered
435 Posts
Lowers

Automotive exterior Bumper Vehicle door Automotive design Auto part

Tail

Automotive exterior Vehicle Auto part Bumper Hand

White Helmet Personal protective equipment Motorcycle helmet Headgear

·
Registered
297 Posts
Can we get a picture of the full bike with the installation done once completed? :D I love that color combination.

·
Registered
435 Posts
Installation is done and was in those pics. What I was holding was the paper backing off the film, the film is on the bike. I can take a full pic of the bike, but youll not be able to even tell the film is there. You can't even tell it standing right next to it unless you know where to look.

·
Registered
8,780 Posts
Very nice, I love how easy it is to remove the film and switch to a new piece. I've had to switch the pieces where my tankbag contacts it, and its easy to do. But, your better film might make repairs much less frequent.....

·
Registered
435 Posts
Yea, this is not the tankslapper / schniders paint guard type of static cling film, this is adhesive backed film, just a perfectly clear "sticker".

I was very impressed to learn that they actually cover entire cars with this stuff! Not just panels, but the whole car!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.