RiderForums.com - Kawasaki Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have an 09 with 18000 miles .. have had since it only had 4000 on it and modified to my liking. Still runs great and nothing wrong with it except some cosmetic damage. Had some kids try to steal it but recovered it from a block away. Figured I’d take it in for an insurance claim since I already had an open claim an maybe get some of the other cosmetic stuff fixed that I never did before. So kinda to my surprise even though the claim was for less than the value of the bike the insurance company it making it a total loss. So now my choice is keep the bike and get $1000 or let them take it and get $3000. Went to the local dealer and can get a new 2019 for $6150... didn’t test drive it but do like the newer ones at least sitting on it haha. So take the 3000 and get a new bike or keep the old one .... payments wouldn’t be to bad maybe 100 month for 36 month not that I’m really trying have another bill !!! Thoughts?

Thanks James

·
Registered
507 Posts
Well, I recently traded bikes, so here's some of the things I considered myself, or would consider in your position:

Your mileage, viewed alone, wouldn't imply that you need to replace your 09. Would the $1k get your 09 how you like it? Fix the cosmetic damage? Anything else needing servicing or repair that you would want to do if you're keeping the 09? Tires needed soon?

Is there anything you'd prefer on a new bike that you don't have at present, such as ABS? Would you want to change things up in a way that is inconsistent with what you've already done with your 09? I don't know your bike, but for example would you want to add hardbags which require the full tail for attachment but perhaps you previously installed a tail tidy?

Which farkles/improvements/other stuff could you transfer from the 09 to a new bike? What would it cost to replace things that cannot be transferred and which you would want on the new bike? In my case, I transferred my Scottoiler but replaced my heated grips.

Would you limit yourself to considering only a Ninja 650? Would you consider a Ninjette or N1K? Or even a big change like a supersport or a dualsport?

It's my understanding that US law requires a manufacturer to keep parts available for at least 10 years. The 09 should be the same bike as the 10 & 11 if I recall correctly, so that won't be an issue for a few more years. Even then, the aftermarket can still supply maintenance and repair items, and many specific parts were carried over to even more recent models. However, a new bike would be starting with a fresh 10 year parts availability period.

Good luck with your deliberations.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well, I recently traded bikes, so here's some of the things I considered myself, or would consider in your position:

Your mileage, viewed alone, wouldn't imply that you need to replace your 09. Would the $1k get your 09 how you like it? Fix the cosmetic damage? Anything else needing servicing or repair that you would want to do if you're keeping the 09? Tires needed soon?

Is there anything you'd prefer on a new bike that you don't have at present, such as ABS? Would you want to change things up in a way that is inconsistent with what you've already done with your 09? I don't know your bike, but for example would you want to add hardbags which require the full tail for attachment but perhaps you previously installed a tail tidy?

Which farkles/improvements/other stuff could you transfer from the 09 to a new bike? What would it cost to replace things that cannot be transferred and which you would want on the new bike? In my case, I transferred my Scottoiler but replaced my heated grips.

Would you limit yourself to considering only a Ninja 650? Would you consider a Ninjette or N1K? Or even a big change like a supersport or a dualsport?

It's my understanding that US law requires a manufacturer to keep parts available for at least 10 years. The 09 should be the same bike as the 10 & 11 if I recall correctly, so that won't be an issue for a few more years. Even then, the aftermarket can still supply maintenance and repair items, and many specific parts were carried over to even more recent models. However, a new bike would be starting with a fresh 10 year parts availability period.

Good luck with your deliberations.
To
Being at almost 19000 miles I haven’t done anything except tires,plugs,filters and oil changes so don’t know how much longer before I may need something like clutch or starter etc. and the only thing I really need to replace is the headlight assembly even thought I can still ride it with the way it is .... all the tabs are broken so it’s loose.....the scratches I could live with. don’t think anything will transfer over from the old to new so I would have to start looking into those ... exhaust,seat cowl,sliders etc. I have soft side bags that I used for trips ... not sure if they’d work on the newer one.
Guess I’d ask if the newer ones are that much nicer/better than one that’s 10 yrs old to spend 3000 on hahha

·
Registered
83 Posts
In Canada Ninja 650 R in pristine condition if traded at the dealership will will get you max $2100.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts