RiderForums.com - Kawasaki Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
just curious about the side case carriers, does anyone know about if you have the kawi side case holders can you buy the top case mounting bracket for the 3 case setup from givi to mount on? or are both systems totally different (other then the ability to mount givi bags on the kawi racks)....am i confusing anyone?

·
Boy Scout
1,342 Posts
Chiller - yes I'm a little confused but this might help. I bought the side cases when I bought the bike brand new. Later I added the Givi E-350 Top case to my stock luggage rack. I had to install the Givi base onto the OEM luggage Rack - hope this helps. Let me know if you would like for me to post a picture of it.

·
Registered
198 Posts
I think the side cases and top case are independent of each other. I bought the Givi E36 panniers and may buy the top case this year.
In the past I've always just had soft saddlebags. These hard bags are awesome! :) They hold a ton of stuff, they are secure on the bike and you can remove them in an instant and are waterproof. I did have one fly off on the highway once. I must have not locked the bag on their pins properly when I put the bag on. I found the bag 2 miles back up the highway lying in the median. It was busted up but all my stuff was still in it.:(

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
03'7S-Ben said:
Chiller - yes I'm a little confused but this might help. I bought the side cases when I bought the bike brand new. Later I added the Givi E-350 Top case to my stock luggage rack. I had to install the Givi base onto the OEM luggage Rack - hope this helps. Let me know if you would like for me to post a picture of it.

that's exactly my question, so you were able to use the OEM rear rack and mount a GIVI base onto it. Which model base did you mount on there? I have a Top case mount and base (solo, no side carriers) already......do i just use the base unit from that and "bolt" it on?

·
Registered
286 Posts
You don't actually need to buy the Givi top plate. Take the hoop off the top rack and look at the bolt spacing. Now look at the narrow end of the rack. See those two holes pretty close together? All the holes are in exactly the right spot to put the Givi buttons and lock tongue on. See for yourself here: http://members.cox.net/mtroell/

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Mike Roell said:
You don't actually need to buy the Givi top plate. Take the hoop off the top rack and look at the bolt spacing. Now look at the narrow end of the rack. See those two holes pretty close together? All the holes are in exactly the right spot to put the Givi buttons and lock tongue on. See for yourself here: http://members.cox.net/mtroell/

cool! thanks! i'll have to look at that, if this works, i gotta see if they sell extra tonques so i can use a 3 bag setup

·
Registered
179 Posts
If you need the side case mounts let me know. I picked up a set of cases on Ebay. I already had all the brackets. When the cases came, inside were another set of side brackets. If you already have the top case part, I think these are just a bolt on. If you are interested, pm me with your e-mail and I will take a couple pics tonight and send them to you. I'll sell them cheap as I have no need for them.

·
Silver Member
1,387 Posts
John,

You've got a PM

·
Registered
24 Posts
Reviving this post...

I am curious about whether you can fit a full face helmet in one of the Kawasaki bags. It looks like you can, but I want to make sure before I drop the bills on a set.

Thanks for posting that great "How To" Mike - that is super informative! I was thinking of getting a standard Givi setup, but after reading your page, I am thinking of getting the Kawasaki bags instead (which are made by Givi anyway, I think).

·
Silver Member
1,941 Posts
I got a set of E360 cases and I'm pretty pleased with them. I keep one on the top rack for commuting and it makes for much more practical riding. I can put a rain suit, notebook, lunch, etc. in it. I don't know about the kawasaki bags but if they're made by Givi and are 41 liters, they should hold a full face helmet. My helmet will fit but it's tight due to all the vents on top.

·
Registered
24 Posts
John said:
I have the Kawasaki side cases. You can fit a full face helmet in but it is a bit snug. If you remove the document hloders on the lids it gives you a bit more room.
Sweet. Just ordered me a pair. Tested to see if my helmet would fit inside on some spares down at the dealer first.

Thanks!

·
Registered
843 Posts
chiller said:
just curious about the side case carriers, does anyone know about if you have the kawi side case holders can you buy the top case mounting bracket for the 3 case setup from givi to mount on? or are both systems totally different (other then the ability to mount givi bags on the kawi racks)....am i confusing anyone?
The Kaw cases are made by Givi. The Kaw rack is the Givi PLB436 . the add on top case piece is the PB02 $71 here

http://store.azmusa.com/kawmon3.html

·
Registered
24 Posts
I want to convert my side case setup into the topcase as shown in the How To, above. The only thing missing for me are some rubber plugs to pad the topcase. There are holes there for plugs, but I don't have any spares. I am not inclined to try and pull out the rubber plugs that I put on the side case rack, as I am sure they will tear if I do.

Any suggestions from someone else who has done this? Maybe the rubber pads are not really that necessary?

·
Boy Scout
1,342 Posts
Alcazar - try looking at Lowes or your locall autoparts dearler for the rubber plug. The Lowes in my area has an autoparts section with clips and rubber plugs with the Christmas Tree end. If you have no luck let me know - PM me and I can send you some foam / rubber padding that I've used on my bike. These pads go on Gas Tanks that we manufacture for the automotive industry.

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
actually you don't need special plugs, i was at walmart and went to the plumbing dept. and got some rubber washers, they work great, only like 2 buxs and come in packs of 6 and each pair lasts about 8000 miles before they are so squished that i need to replace them...

1 - 20 of 23 Posts