RiderForums.com - Kawasaki Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey there guys,
I have bought the bike last season, and I made my decision to keep it for longer. I like it, it's a fun and good looking bike.

It had problems with misfiring. So i have changed spark plugs, ignition coils with cables. Also changed the oil, right away when I bought it, motul full synth
It still has some issues, usually on idle when its hot, likes to misfire sometimes. Right now I'm in the middle of getting the valve clearance adjusted because i could hear couple of them "clicking".
I will also sync the carbs after I'm done with valves.
But it's a good time to put some improvements to the bike while the valve cover is up, since I'll be getting out the carburetors out for cleaning and inspection.
What can you guys suggest? I've researched that changing to bigger jets will make the engine run better and cooler, which ones would you preffer? are the ebay kits worth anything? I have "a feeling" that shes running a bit lean.
Also the stock exhaust is a bit quiet for my taste, i've looked for any used exhaust tips and can't really find anything interesting. I've seen DIY's cutting the stock muffler... didn't look too nice after all. I don't feel like spending 500 for a new exhaust to a bike worth 1500. Any other choice?

I've bought the bike having a "probably is" k&n air filter, and the reed valves connected.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

·
Registered
5,099 Posts
Other common modifications include changing the 16 tooth front sprocket for a 17 tooth as it lowers RPM's and engine buzz, as well as fork preload modifications (either the PVC insert or the adjustable fork caps)

There are specific write ups on how to for both of these (the 17 tooth conversion is easy - but it's not a straight swap as you have to grind away a bit of aluminum on the cover plate for clearance.)

I can't speak to jets or exhausts as I'm running stock. The bike does run lean from the factory and most people adjust the jets to about 2 1/2 turns out.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks, you're very helpful! :)
Valve clearance done! Just waiting for a new gasket to arrive. Did those bikes had any leaking problems with the valve cover and i need to use silicone? Or just previous owner cheaped out and put silicone on the old gasket? :D
I've bought new 4 rubbers that go between valve cover and the head. Manual says to put a little silicone underneath them. Didn't find any info about silicone under the valve cover tho.
I've ordered the 17T sprocket. It's exactly like you say, i kept looking for the 6th gear, especially on highway, 17T should fix the problem.

I will order the jets from the company above too, but after I get that Hawk exhaust and decide how my intake is gonna look. I see you guys modding the airbox. I do have the K&N filter already but i don't see any drilled holes in the box. I always like to leave an easy way to go back to stock so I don't feel like drilling holes in the oem box. So I'm considering pod filters but not all carburetors like them. If the best choice is to modify the airbox I'll just go and drill the holes but first I'll wait for your opinion :)

Also the forks did seem a bit soft for me, adding a bit of preload with PCV should be a good and cheap way of fixing it, gonna try that too!

·
Registered
227 Posts
I've found that link in another thread next to mine :) ~$200 for a new exhaust is a very fair price, do you have one of them? I'd probably pick the Hawk Powder Black Oval Street Legal Exhaust. Any idea how they sound?

What about these jets:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/99-03-Kawasaki-ZR7S-ZR-7-S-ZR-7S-Custom-Carburetor-Carb-Stage-1-3-Jet-Kit/232057127379?

Price is fair, made in usa, maybe worth a try?
Sorry for the late response pal, yeah I live round the corner from Pipewerx so I popped in to purchase one. I'm made up with the noise it sounds awesome and for the money I don't think you can get a better exhaust.

I got the stainless round one, very happy
stainless-steel-round_34_401.jpg

·
Registered
227 Posts
Thanks, you're very helpful! :)
Valve clearance done! Just waiting for a new gasket to arrive. Did those bikes had any leaking problems with the valve cover and i need to use silicone? Or just previous owner cheaped out and put silicone on the old gasket? :D
I've bought new 4 rubbers that go between valve cover and the head. Manual says to put a little silicone underneath them. Didn't find any info about silicone under the valve cover tho.
I've ordered the 17T sprocket. It's exactly like you say, i kept looking for the 6th gear, especially on highway, 17T should fix the problem.

I will order the jets from the company above too, but after I get that Hawk exhaust and decide how my intake is gonna look. I see you guys modding the airbox. I do have the K&N filter already but i don't see any drilled holes in the box. I always like to leave an easy way to go back to stock so I don't feel like drilling holes in the oem box. So I'm considering pod filters but not all carburetors like them. If the best choice is to modify the airbox I'll just go and drill the holes but first I'll wait for your opinion :)

Also the forks did seem a bit soft for me, adding a bit of preload with PCV should be a good and cheap way of fixing it, gonna try that too!
No you don't need silicone with the new gasket, looks like the previous owner didn't buy a new gasket when they did the valves and reused the old one with added silicone.

The best advice I can give is to leave the pods alone as you'll need access to a dyno to properly set up, and the jets you've bought may not be able to be adjusted to suit the increased airflow, it's not something I would suggest a home mechanic try.

The holes in the airbox can be rectified using duct tape so no worries there. I haven't drilled the airbox just removed the snorkel at the opening and i'm running fine with just the K&N and the exhaust but I haven't gone for the jet kit just stuck some washers under the original needles to combat the hesitation from start.

enjoy pal.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
The best advice I can give is to leave the pods alone as you'll need access to a dyno to properly set up, and the jets you've bought may not be able to be adjusted to suit the increased airflow, it's not something I would suggest a home mechanic try.
No way then, I'm staying with the airbox! ;)

Aight, top is done! Added a bit of silicone with the new rubbers that go on the ends of camshaft. Actually that's what the manual said. Got my cover powder coated, looks a bit shiny now but when i clean the rest should look way better than old ugly "silverbrown". (I plan to do the same with front forks and the swingarm probably next winter, blue and black is enough, silver go away!)
52880615_317498475786913_6416751951349809152_n.jpg
New 17T sprocket installed. I was suprised with the weight of the stock one. The aftermarket one weights at least half of the stock one!

I've removed the carbs and the airbox, so i can clean them while I wait for the jets and exhaust.

The airbox is covered in oil. It needs a major cleanup and reseal it better.
What i don't know is how to prevent having so much oil in the airbox. I dont have that EGR stuff anymore, but I've found that there is a short hose connecting the engine with bottom of the airbox. That area is covered in oil the most. I assume it's a ventilation hose for the engine but should it really do such a mess in the intake?
I did not found any tips for it. What if i just plug that hole in the airbox and put the hose somewhere else?
52918113_245851826366150_4156972642479374336_n.jpg
52586516_304139600292240_8380150483544702976_n.jpg
I'm new to japanese bikes, that's why so many questions, but you guys are more than helpful. Thank you for that!

PS
I don't even want to think about how I'll put those carbs back in the bike... These old rubbers are so hard i could use them as a weapon.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Looks good
Don't block the breather, you can get small K&N filters that are made for breather which would eliminate the pipe.
If you warm the rubbers in hot water it softens them up & makes life easier

·
Registered
5,099 Posts
Also when you did the 17 tooth upgrade, did you grind out the cover plate as per requirement? If you didn't and go to start and run the bike you are going to do some damage!

17 tooth grind IMG-20140125-00307.jpg 17 tooth grind IMG-20140208-00427.jpg 17 tooth grind IMG-20140208-00441.jpg 17 tooth grind.jpg

(for the record the last filthy pic is from someone else's write up. It's not my bike :) )

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
Oh yeah, of course. The wheel turns nice so there should be no problems with that now.
Carbs are cleaned, with new jets. The old ones were 110. Kit comes with 6 jets 2x 112.5 2x 115 and 117.5. Folowed the guide and put 112.5 in cylinder 1 and 4, 115 in 2 and 3. If still lean they say to put 115 in 1/4 and 117.5 in 2/3.
Needles are now on 4th row from top.
Pilot jets are 38
Can't say how it runs yet. I'm still waiting for the ordered the inlet rubbers, the old ones were so hard, that they were striping the plastic from the airbox. :O

For better comfort I've put carmichael handlebars. It's lower, a bit wider (i'll probably make them shorter after i put everything back on the bike). Now I really gotta powdercoat black these triple trees. :D

Pipewerx gets a 10/10 for shipping. I'm in US, and got the package in 2-3 days. Can't wait to hear it!
Today I'll take the headers off so i can clean them and put those spacers in front forks :)
52995487_420780092026097_3265728965343444992_n.jpg
53668454_310663286302819_5167394850261172224_n.jpg
53117736_370042936914117_2486117148997451776_n.jpg

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I would never expect that the headers would end up so nice!
I've took out the whole exhaust, brushed it with a toilet cleaner with 9.5% hydrochloric acid, and than polished it with a polishing wheel. Cleaned the nuts with a regular polish compound and those header holders.
Thats what i ended up with:
53588335_2178063429175383_5321047266620866560_n.jpg
53238281_293938291286759_3835467664331898880_n.jpg 53279011_388041982025711_8475662859626348544_n.jpg
52991381_2617735494920263_7974949091153018880_n.jpg 53055604_2207741625931852_2063113555250511872_n.jpg

·
Registered
5,099 Posts
I bet all that polishing was exhausting. :silly: It does look very good though!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
A lot of mess in garage, but yea it was worth it. I'll post up pictures how everything looks when it'll get a little warmer.

Right now the bike runs awesome. The 17 sprocket is better on highway but it's a PIA to move this bike from stand, too much slipping clutch for me. I might get rear sprocket 1 or 2 tooth larger but then I'm not sure if I'll have enough chain for that.

Only problem now is at about 4k rpm when accelerating with about 50% throttle. Has a small missfire, any clues? The bike smokes a bit when it's cold, should be a little less now after it sucked the excess oil from air filter and burned out grease from putting new exhaust gaskets (that way i kept them from falling out when putting on headers). I will probably run it like it is till it gets to at least 60 degrees outside for proper adjustments but maybe you got some clue why it happens around 4k rpm?

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
Strange i run the 17t front and its no different pulling off then when stock.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Love the exhaust. Makes me feel a little ashamed of mine. Perhaps I need to do some serious polishing this winter season

Cheers

Damo

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
Here is a little update about the Jet Kit that I've ordered from:
6 Sigma Racing
eBay username: 6sigmajetkit

I've been trying all possible ways to tune the bike and it is just impossible to make it work.
At first I've understood the reason why the jets for the two inner carbs are different size than the ones for outside, I've explained it for myself that after the engine heats up the carbs 2 and 3 have noticeably higher temperature than 1 and 4, but in the real world no matter what I do, there is just no way to make this setup work.
I am actually thinking of swapping back to original ones and just raising the needle with some fuel screw afterwards.

The bike starts up really nice, the larger pilot Jets are probably helping alot with it, i don't use the choke as much as i used to anymore.
Idle is nice for the first 30min, after that it starts to swing a bit, once the engine is summer hot it is "slightly" misfiring.

Once the engine heats up, then the whole party starts...
The low end literally doesnt exist, the bike has like 3hp until it reaches 2.5-3k rpm. And I've dropped back to stock front sprocket.
After passing 3k rpm the bike runs nice until it gets to 4k, in exactly 4000-4100rpm the bike has a slight misfire when accelerating, no matter how much throttle. When passed the 4k rpm misfire the bike runs ok, it even slipped the clutch a little when shifting hard - which never happened on stock jets and exhaust, so there is definitely an improvement past 5k rpm. But I'am sure it would do better with different Jets.

The cylinder 2 and 3 is running lean and the outside 1 and 4 are running too rich. Im sure that is the reason for non existent low end. The case gets worse the hotter the engine runs.

I write this post as a precaution, because I've accepted a "strange" jet setup for my bike during wintertime, put it all together and tested the bike in a 40*F temperature. It's been running good cause it was just running cold with thick air.
I can't recommend the product after trying all the setups possible. I wanted to try something different, and I've learned my lesson, I will go back to stock, leaving the bigger pilot jets (cause 4 of them are all the same) or buy one that's been approved by the riders from this forum.

I will contact Sigma Racing addressing the issue, but it's been 5 months now from the moment I've bought the kit, so I don't think they will care. :)

I'll post the Jet sizes tomorrow after i find the paperwork.
Ride safe! ✌

1 - 19 of 19 Posts