RiderForums.com - Kawasaki Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2003 Zr7S UK model, had from new but only done 1300 mile, used for 12 months then sat there under cover until now, completly stock model, no mods at all. I've done all the usual, new plugs, cleaned the carbs, checked cleaned the jets etc, new battery. The bike does start with the choke fully on but sounds rough, like not firing on all four, if I give some throttle it dies, if I reduce the choke it dies, I won't start at all with out choke even though the engine is hot, I did notice when refurbing the carbs that two of the heaters had broken off wires but surely that wouldn't be the issue would it?, other than that I can't find anything else wrong, all four plugs are sparking, any help, thanks

·
Registered
1,920 Posts
After re-assembly, and trying it, is the airbox back on? It must be installed before the bike will run properly. (A lot of people skip putting it completely back together and try to run without airbox/filter hooked up by mistake) Did you completely disassemble the carbs down to pieces? After sitting that long, it would be easy for a port to be plugged somewhere, and All ports and passages MUST be free of any/all obstructions, including the tiny holes in the front of venture which are often over-looked. After soaking and spraying cleaner thru each and EVERY port, passage, hole and passageway, insert compressed air to insure each passage is open all the way out the other side. (every hole has at least one other opening as an exit) Odds are it's in the carbs somewhere but other options include starving for fuel like petcock partially plugged/inoperable. Inline filter plugged. Vacuum leak. Air/intake leak. Over oil/plugged air filter. We could dispatch our Royal ZR7 representative to the UK, aka "Shaky" perhaps? He's our version of "A Knight" over there with a nicely modded ZR7 stead. LOL (Or, Maybe he'll take the trials bike over "hill'n dale" tho for practice/fun)

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hi thanks for the info. no I haven't refitted the airbox & filter so I try that next, after reading other posts regarding the exhaust pipes from cold No. 4 didn't heat up like the others so I checked the spark plug cap and found it to be loose!, tightened it up and she is now running without choke!! still can't get more than 3000rpm without it stalling out but it's better, so I'll strip the carbs again, triple check all ports & passages, check for vacuum leaks and report back, many thanks Steve.

·
Registered
1,920 Posts
NO PROBLEMS BUD. Just completely re-assemble the airbox and filter, BEFORE trying it. It's a PITA but needs to all be together to function PROPERLY. Must be nice working on what's essentially a brand new bike, all clean and shiny?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts