RiderForums.com - Kawasaki Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Silver Member
881 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I wonder why Kawasaki didn't decide to build a mini-me ZR-7?

About the same time the 750cc Zephyr and GT750 shaftie were getting around in the late 80's early 90's, Kawasaki also ran a 550cc Zephyr and GT550. The shafties proved hugely popular in Oz, and the 550 Zephyr was still being sold in Europe as late as 1999. All the basics are in place to build one inexpensively.

Would anyone have bought one?

:)

·
Registered
965 Posts
No, I wouldn't buy it.
The reason is that it was underpowered and small in size.
Very beautiful, but even the 'supposedly touring-but actually courier bike' shaft GT550 had 6-7 HP more than the Zeph 550.
There was also a 400 Zephyr!

I always wonder why do ALL manufacturers detune the engines to install them on 'Naked' bikes, instead of 'retuning' them.
I mean the ZR7 doesn't gain on the 1983 GPZ anywhere in the rev range really. Just missing all the top end :(
And yesterday I read in Bike magazine an article dedicated on the same subject, with the opportunity of the Hornet 900 test.
The verdict is : They re fooling us!!!!

I want the stolen ponnies back. I have found a GPZ750 in sorry state, all bodywork etc missing, just a rolling chassis. My plan is to take it from the owner for almost nothing and try the cams on my bike ;) Pitty the carbs are missing...

Aris

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
small bikes don't sell well in the states. one problem is that we've got so many highways that it's a struggle for them to run on. they'll make the speed but don't have much in reserve and get bown around a lot since they're so light. also, very few people in the states use their bikes for regular transportation. most people use them as weekend toys for fun rides. in that roll bigger is often better since it feeds the ego.

the cost of a smaller bike often isn't much less than a larger model and people who buy them usually trade up within a year. there are lots of gently used honda rebels and ninja 250's on the market.

they tend to sell better in asia and parts of europe where you can actually go places without having to hit 65mph and congested local traffic and parking makes them an appealing option.

in some ways i don't get it. i always ahd a blast on my 50cc moped. but i did trade to the zr-7 from a 650cc v-twin that only had about 40 hp and the differende is welcomed. of course average freeway speed out here is often near 80mph.

scott :)

1 - 3 of 3 Posts