RiderForums.com - Kawasaki Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys,

Just bought brand new Kawi Z750R as my first Jap bike (haven't ridden bike for ~12 years since I past my bike license in 2002 so you can imagine- lack of experience and etc.)
As you would expect - I was superb excited so changed my clothes and jumped for a ride instead reading user manual (I know - my bad!)
Well.. I am careful person so took it easy.. first few miles 1,2,3 gear 25-40mph (~1800-4000rpm), filled petrol tank.. left it for 10 minutes to rest.. took it again for another ride (not much opportunities due to busy traffic..) so was playing with 1,2,3,4 gears.. so did in total about ~18 miles.. Left it for rest ~20 minutes... after.. Took my girl with me this time (she is only about 50kg) and went on motorway (as no chance for test drive on busy traffic roads) this time. So was riding about 20-30 minutes on 4,5,6 gears ~48-70mph (3800-5700 rpms with little up to 7000rpms bursts).. so covered about ~65 miles.. Left bike to cool down a bit (for 1h45min) and went back home.. Obviously it was short stops during my journey (traffic lights, junctions and etc.). In total covered 85miles and.. started reading user manual.. so spotted this in "Break-In" page

"first 0-500mi (Maximum engine speed 4000r/min) and 500-1000mi (Maximum engine speed 6000r/min)"

But from my point of few - user manual recommendations doesn't look correct - as it is impossible to ride on motorway at lower than 50mph speed (which still makes ~4000rpm).. Car drivers were flashing lights..
Sometimes I had to accelerate up to 70mph to overtake cars to keep safe distance and etc.

What do you guys think - does this style of driving hurts my bike? shall I take extra care or just not bother about break-in and drive "as normal" (well I wouldn't class my driving as normal as I still learning shifting and etc..)

About bike - I think it is amazing.. During last few weeks I tested - Honda CBF125, Kawi ER6N. And can honestly say that Z750R is easiest bike to ride smooth but powerful.. Quality parts (not cheap plastic and etc.).

I really like it and would like to keep it forever so would be interested in all advises about breakin-in procedure and maintenance..

newToy-min.jpg

·
Banned
3,123 Posts
Took my girl with me this time (she is only about 50kg) and went on motorway
Stay OFF the "motoway" until it's broken in....AND....no riding 2-up until then either......or a bit longer.
Dumping yourself on the asphalt is one thing; dumping her along with you would be QUITE another.

Exceeding the recommendations for short periods are not a cause for concern.
Some even advocate running them wide open to break in faster. OUCH.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Stay OFF the "motoway" until it's broken in....AND....no riding 2-up until then either......or a bit longer.
Dumping yourself on the asphalt is one thing; dumping her along with you would be QUITE another.

Exceeding the recommendations for short periods are not a cause for concern.
Some even advocate running them wide open to break in faster. OUCH.

Hi, Thanks for reply. It is not written that two riders not allowed or recommended during break-in period. I doubt this would affect actual break-in.. especially knowing our mass :) Its about 120 -128KG.. Some bigger lads weights more :)

I am not sure if this true or not, but my dealer mechanic advised me that - Drive as normal without exceeding red lines... But after reading online forums- I am totally confused now..

Also, some people saying that I need to change factory oil before first 100 mi.. Kawasaki dealer tells me - first service and oil change at 500-600mi..

In general, does my previously described driving - is good or bad practice? also what about oil change?

Thanks in advance

·
Banned
3,123 Posts
In general, does my previously described driving - is good or bad practice? also what about oil change?
To repeat: What you described is NOT a problem for break-in.

But you should avoid the freeway as much as possible for a while.......both because of break-in AND until you get more time in the seat and are more comfortable with the bike.

The comment about 2-up had nothing to do with break-in but with good safety practice for a new rider or a new bike.

The racing community does things differently, like breaking in engines hard and fast, but those thing often don't translate to the street very well.
Changing the oil before the first recommendation is overkill in my opinion but it certainly won't hurt anything......except your wallet.

The engineers who built your bike and who wrote the recommendations know a LOT more than most anybody who posts on Internet forums.
Follow the book and you can't go wrong.
Shun the self appointed "experts".

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
To repeat: What you described is NOT a problem for break-in.

But you should avoid the freeway as much as possible for a while.......both because of break-in AND until you get more time in the seat and are more comfortable with the bike.

The comment about 2-up had nothing to do with break-in but with good safety practice for a new rider or a new bike.

The racing community does things differently, like breaking in engines hard and fast, but those thing often don't translate to the street very well.
Changing the oil before the first recommendation is overkill in my opinion but it certainly won't hurt anything......except your wallet.

The engineers who built your bike and who wrote the recommendations know a LOT more than most anybody who posts on Internet forums.
Follow the book and you can't go wrong.
Shun the self appointed "experts".
Cheers, sound right to me

·
Registered
115 Posts
Wow!! You went for a ride without reading the instructions, good luck with that. Actually there is probably no damage as they design these motors knowing there are idiots that don't follow directions out there, (me included) . Now with that said I did the same stupid thing on my 2004 Z1000 except I took it to red line several times and was worried that I had damaged the motor. I guess not as I have over 64,000 miles of trouble free riding and it just keeps getting stronger. I, like you, had not riden for a looong time. Nice choice of moto by the way.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts