RiderForums.com - Kawasaki Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3,348 Posts
The Kawasaki is more of a retro bike...with spoke wheels, fork boots, and air cooling. The Triumph is much more of a modern style version. I highly doubt these two bikes even perform much alike. I also don't believe they will appeal to the same buyer.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The Kawasaki is more of a retro bike...with spoke wheels, fork boots, and air cooling. The Triumph is much more of a modern style version. I highly doubt these two bikes even perform much alike. I also don't believe they will appeal to the same buyer.
well if you're looking for a modern cafe racer bike...

·
Registered
10,328 Posts
I wanted Kawasaki to bring the W800 to the states years ago. Like the W650, this one will probably hold its value well. Too pricey for what you get IMO.

·
Registered
853 Posts
I personally find it to be a wonderful "retro" motorcycle that has all the good things and lacking literally all the "downs" of the modem Triumph and none of the negatives associated with the "classic" Triumph vertical twins. In many ways they (the Kawasaki W650 &W800) out Triumph the Triumph. The ride right, go right, stop right and can be a very proficient everyday rider. They are everything a basic motorcycle is supposed to be. It works for me.

·
Registered
10,328 Posts
I personally find it to be a wonderful "retro" motorcycle that has all the good things and lacking literally all the "downs" of the modem Triumph and none of the negatives associated with the "classic" Triumph vertical twins. In many ways they (the Kawasaki W650 &W800) out Triumph the Triumph. The ride right, go right, stop right and can be a very proficient everyday rider. They are everything a basic motorcycle is supposed to be. It works for me.
Other than asking price, the downs for me are tube tires and the 360 degree crank.

·
Registered
853 Posts
Well, that's where the latest iteration of the new/ old British vertical twin comes in. The Royal Enfield 650 twins. Their Interceptor and GT are the real things. They have centerstands available too. There's even a dealer close by me in Wichita that sell both marques. Bikers Edge here is a Triumph & a Royal Enfield dealer that was a Victory dealership too before Polaris pulled the plug. Funny (not Ha Ha funny) the big local Wichita Honda Yamaha Suzuki Kawasaki KTM dealership is closing. We have no BMW, Ducati, Aprilla locally here for several years. Harley is still here too with a dealership owned by (better) new ownership.

·
Registered
10,328 Posts
Resurrecting this thread because W800 cafes are languishing on showroom floors and deal are out there. I finally got to test ride one and look it over carefully in the sun. The same weekend I also rode a Royal Enfield 650, a Triumph Street Twin, and a Moto Guzzi V7 racer cafe.

The fit and finish on the W800 is top notch. I was wrong about the 360 crank. The bike sounded awesome. The bevel drive means no cam chain noise in the engine. The color scheme is not something that makes me go wow in a good way, but the paint does look great in the sun. My only negative is the clubman bars make for a stretched out riding position, whereas the Continental GT and V7 racer raised clipons feel more natural.
Well, one othe minor negative is Kawasaki stuck possibly the ABS module in front of the engine blocking the totally open aspect of the previous generations engine bay.

I do want to own a W800. I think I am going to wait for leftover 2020 models with their bright work and gloss red paint.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Resurrecting this thread because W800 cafes are languishing on showroom floors and deal are out there. I finally got to test ride one and look it over carefully in the sun. The same weekend I also rode a Royal Enfield 650, a Triumph Street Twin, and a Moto Guzzi V7 racer cafe.

The fit and finish on the W800 is top notch. I was wrong about the 360 crank. The bike sounded awesome. The bevel drive means no cam chain noise in the engine. The color scheme is not something that makes me go wow in a good way, but the paint does look great in the sun. My only negative is the clubman bars make for a stretched out riding position, whereas the Continental GT and V7 racer raised clipons feel more natural.
Well, one othe minor negative is Kawasaki stuck possibly the ABS module in front of the engine blocking the totally open aspect of the previous generations engine bay.

I do want to own a W800. I think I am going to wait for leftover 2020 models with their bright work and gloss red paint.
Those cafe racers are a good deal. Swap the handlebars to decrease reach for a more upright riding position.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts