RiderForums.com - Kawasaki Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I recently bought Ninja 650 2014 and done 1300 Km. I went for a ride and suddenly my bike go slow and slow down. After few Km it stopped because while accelerating only RPM goes high but bike not going any further. I took to service station and they said Clutch Plates burnt.
Also rear brakes stop operating once heated. After sometime it start operating.

Is this common issues or anybody have similar issues?

·
見る
2,895 Posts
I can't offer any advice as I have only owned a 650 for a few months. A burnt out clutch at 1.3T? I find that very unusual. I hope some of the more knowledgeable 650 owner/riders can give you advice on this one. Did you buy the bike new? Have you looked into a warranty claim if the bike is less than 1 year old? At such low mileage, it has to be a manufacturing/assembly issue..that's only my OPINION. (some people get upset if I say something without stating that it's MY opinion :D).

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I bought this new in November 2014. Till bike is at service center. I shall get it after 1 or 2 days. Clutch plates are not fall under warranty but hoping for best if they do consider my request.

·
見る
2,895 Posts
Demand that they replace the clutch plates under warranty - if it was 10T or more miles then they could possibly reject a warranty claim - but 1.3? I doubt it. If they still say "No" ...tell them you will get legal advice and make a complaint to consumer affairs.

·
Registered
10,327 Posts
Here is something you have to ask yourself before you try and push for them to cover this under warranty;

Have you been doing clutch drop wheelies? Have you been excessively feathering the clutch when riding? Did you do an oil change and put car oil in the bike? In other words, was there anything you did to contribute to the clutch wear?

If not, then I would ask them to check and see if the clutch cable was set up so tight that the clutch was never fully engaging.

On the brake issue. Sounds like you are dragging the rear brake with your toe.

Good Luck, and know that the service guys can tell when a bike has been ridden hard and put away wet.

Reactions: djrussell and gantt

·
Banned
1,598 Posts
The mechanical things never lie. We have drivers try to pull stunts all the time. But when you inspect the mechanics (parts) involved, the truth is never hard to find. If its truly a no fault failure, push hard to get it fixed! But don't get caught with your pants down

·
Banned
3,123 Posts
Hi, I recently bought Ninja 650 2014 and done 1300 Km.
Is this your first bike?
Have you had any formal training to lean how to use the clutch properly?
Have you been riding it like you are in a race all the time?

Like another user suggested, the most likely cause is an inexperienced rider slipping the clutch and dragging the rear brake.
If that is true, trying to get the dealer to fix it for free under warranty would be dishonest.

·
Registered
4,318 Posts
I would guess the most likely cause to be someone taking all the pay out of the clutch cable. People see or fell the slack in the clutch lever and j=think it is wrong, so they take all the plu out with the cable. This leads to the clutch slipping.
That would be my first guess.
Most likely, IMHO, clutch drop wheelies will flip the bike before they burn the clutch. Over slipping the clutch when pulling away from a stop. I have seen people do it. Not even drying to drag race, but just unaware of what they are doing.

·
Registered
10,327 Posts
IMHO, clutch drop wheelies will flip the bike before they burn the clutch.
Haven't heard of anyone flipping a 650. Using the clutch to hold the bike up at the angle the 650 will achieve will get the clutch plates hot in a hurry.

·
Registered
4,318 Posts
I am going to assume you don't do a lot of wheelies Boss.

To clutch a wheelie up, you literally just flick the clutch lever. The clutch is allowed to slip for part of one second and thats it. Once it's up the clutch is clamped closed and gets a chance to shed the momentary heat.

·
Banned
2,525 Posts
If you can safely do so, please record a video yourself riding for a few miles in your normal conditions.

I mean this in a tough-love sort of way, not a mean hole kind of way, it sounds like you have very poor riding habits. If you were experiencing one or the other (burnt up clutch or overheating brakes) I could maybe give you a by and call it equipment failure. But these two situations are both influenced by the rider.

·
Registered
10,327 Posts
I am going to assume you don't do a lot of wheelies Boss.

To clutch a wheelie up, you literally just flick the clutch lever. The clutch is allowed to slip for part of one second and thats it. Once it's up the clutch is clamped closed and gets a chance to shed the momentary heat.
Not in 25 years or so, and never on a public street. Now lofting the front tire a little off the line...

I recall reading where folks will use a combination of clutch and throttle to maintain a wheelie.

·
見る
2,895 Posts
Not in 25 years or so, and never on a public street. Now lofting the front tire a little off the line...
I do that all the time on the 650 - it's so easy but it's not about slipping the clutch, the clutch has been dropped (engaged) and I'm using hard throttle and pulling back on the bars (with my arse way back in the seat) to get the front end up....

·
Banned
1,598 Posts

I recall reading where folks will use a combination of clutch and throttle to maintain a wheelie.
I'm not saying I don't believe you, but I've never heard of someone doing that. That's crazy. I couldn't treat my machine like that.

·
Registered
4,318 Posts
In the wheelie department - I will defer to TMR's experience and expertise in this subject (watch his videos).
I meant to ask if you ever found the video you were looking for?

·
Registered
4,318 Posts
I'm not saying I don't believe you, but I've never heard of someone doing that. That's crazy. I couldn't treat my machine like that.
I could see it in some certain trials maneuvers, but even then the thought of constantly slipping the clutch would be very hard to do. It would be hard to deal with as a clutch's performance can change quite a bit from cold to super hot.

·
Registered
10,327 Posts
Not saying it is the right way to do a slow speed wheelie, and I only said I recall reading that. Now if your calling my honor, I would be forced to go searching for it, but it isn't that important to me. ;)

1 - 20 of 50 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.