RiderForums.com - Kawasaki Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
706 Posts

·
Wheelie for Safety
1,550 Posts
IMO Kawasaki used to have the best web site untill they wrecked it with all that flash. Now Honda has the best web site.

http://www.hondamotorcycle.com/intro.html

I like a simple interface that loads quickly. I have DSL and I'm used to sites that load quickly.

My first modem 20 years ago was a 90 Baud. Surfing back then was faster then it is now using DSL and having to put up with sites using lots of flash.

Oh did I mention... I hate flash :yell:

Give me content not flash!

Andy

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
looks like the honda site uses flash, too... just not as much as kawasaki. the kawasaki site still has lots of content, it just presents it differently.
Andy, if you have DSL, you shouldn't be worrying about load times. what provider do you use?
you dont HAVE to put up with sites with flash :D

josh

·
Wheelie for Safety
1,550 Posts
Hi Josh,

I have Pacbell going through an independent called Covad. Its IDSL which is the slowest DSL you can get. Its 144,000 bits/second both ways.

I used to have SDSL at 400,000 bits a second both ways, but that company went out of business.

IDSL costs about $105.00 a month. It uses its own seperate phone line and comes with router/modem. I just plug my computer and my wife's and my daughters computer ethernet cable into the back of the router. No software to install PPoE.

I just click on the Explorer icon and I'm online.

Andy

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hey Andy,
i run DSL from speakeasy with 608 up 128 down it works pretty good. i have a LAN set up in the house with about 5 computers on. i bought a linksys broadband router/firewall , it works really well. it does use the existing hard phone line, but uses a different set of wires.. i had to install a filter (came with the DSL modem) on each point where there is a voice connection. it runs me 63 dollars a month plus an extra 2 per month for an additional IP address.

josh

·
Wheelie for Safety
1,550 Posts
Josh,

I could have a similar offering. I just really disliked the PPoE software that is required with that type of setup. You have to make a connection first, then you can click on the browser.

Also the speed can vary with ADSL (that is what you have). With IDSL or SDSL the speed is fixed.

I do miss the higher band width when I come across flash stuff, but 144 is still plenty fast for everything else.

Andy

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
its actually RADSL and it is online all the time, no software required. just like yours.. the speeds have been very consistent thus far.

josh

·
Registered
988 Posts
Ditto, and now my son has set up a Linux server on an old Pentium 133 and we are progressively networking the house.

Cost of Optus cable is about $Aus65 per month ($US30'ish). But they've just announced a 3 Gig cap per month (b*stards), following Telstra's lead. We ditched Telstra a couple of months ago to switch to Optus because of the Telstra cap.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts