RiderForums.com - Kawasaki Motorcycle Forum banner

161 - 180 of 190 Posts

·
Registered
335 Posts
Discussion Starter · #161 ·
To be honest, I never asked what the lead times on original parts where, I just checked some online prices (partzilla, CMSNL) and found the Wiseco kit. decision was made and along the way other sellers crossed my path and i was able to obtain some more lovely bits. For a simple oil usage problem, this project is overkill, for learning and fun... it has been a blast!
last night i hooked up the new clutch cable again and checked some other items. soldered the wires back on the air temp switch and checked tire pressure. with a little luck I can drive the bike for the first time in months before the week is over :)

·
Registered
5,427 Posts
Air temp switch? Is that part of the carb heaters?

·
Registered
5,427 Posts
Wish I had heaters for mine. You might not need them in California or Florida, but Canada they'd be handy.

Reactions: shakennstirred

·
Registered
335 Posts
Discussion Starter · #165 ·
:) the Netherlands is not much different I suppose. Winters around the -5 to plus 5 Celsius and lots of moist...(that is around 32F i believe)
But since this "tempswitch" is screwed into the airbox, it leaves a rather large hole when it is taken out, i decided to patch up the wires and screw it back in.

·
Registered
335 Posts
Discussion Starter · #167 ·
Hi guys! It has been a rather busy past few months. Bought a new house, dropped the zr, not to serious but enough to put it on the back burner. Planned a small holiday coming week, will know more about the running than. At this moment the bike performs very well, the zx6r front end seems a little unbalanced with the stock (and old ), but that might also be aided by the clip ons im running.

·
Registered
1,396 Posts
just curious, how much could a person expect to spend on the machining for the big bore?
here in the uk I found a place that charge £36 for a 4 block
so I bet you should find someone there for $50-70 or even less

edit
forgot to add £12 for honing so £48 in total

·
Registered
335 Posts
Discussion Starter · #170 ·
Wow... are we talking drilling 3 mmm overaize or honing the existing walls? I paid 200 euro for 3mm oversize on this engine.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi tmoons,

How is the bike running today? Do you also have an overview of all those works on the dutch motorforum?

Grtz

·
Registered
335 Posts
Discussion Starter · #172 ·
hi guys, I've driven the bike some 4000 km now. It runs lovely, but there are 2 major issues.
oil leak at the from "in between" bolt connecting the head to the barrels (stripped thread) and (even after replacing the valvestem seals) oil burning on deceleration with a blip of trotthle (please no one here say... that is your oil rings buddy!)
i am still keeping the bike, but i am getting a little tired of the endless little things popping up... :-/

·
Registered
8,694 Posts
This is really just how it goes when things don't go perfectly. How are we supposed to do perfect work when we build one or two of these in our lives?

You did a good job. Deal with those small issues, and move along these projects never go 100% until you have done ten of them

·
Registered
335 Posts
Discussion Starter · #174 ·
Head gasket ordered. Also a nice moment to contemplate the jetting.
it is fitted with the standard now. But it needs more juice. What would be a nice step up? 108 is standard, 115 118 or 120 is what i am thinking of..... the rest of the bike is bog standard.

·
Registered
8,694 Posts
t moons, this sounds odd, but is 100% true.

Jetting...big bore typically will need leaner jetting?

How so? Fuel signal. Much stronger with the larger pistons. A larger vacuum. What would the size be.....1/4 of a 750 vs 1/4 of 810? Thats 187cc per piston vs the current 212...or close.

Also, if you keep the thought simple, all you are doing is mixing the fuel and air ratio with any jet. Thus, bringing in more air will automatically bring in more fuel.

See how it is right now, and be prepared to drop a size, or two.

Its sort-of self compensating, but if anything, you'll go leaner. It does not sound a sexy,

Carbs were wonderful and forgiving things.

I think you'd be right on an efi bike. I imagine them being set to inject x amount of fuel and you'd now need x+1, but not with a carb.

This assumes your jetting was ok to begin with....who knows?

Also, without other work, you'll be good for another 5-7hp. Big bore just does nto do that much on its own. Yous still using stock carbs and stokc restrictive exhaust. All that new air needs to come from somewhere and be able to go somewhere.

·
Registered
335 Posts
Discussion Starter · #176 ·
I think it was (too ?) lean before drilling the barrels.... but now it runs hotter and the sparkplugs are white (perhaps borderline grey). Based on that i was expecting to go richer....
At the moment the adjustable jets in the throat are 3 full rotations out and can not be turned in.... but....now it gets interesting..... the idle never gets below 1200 rpm..... the adjustable jets are creating this mixture that allows a idle at 1200 rpm turning the idle knob all the way out does not change this. But....turning down the adjustable jets will cause the eninge to surge and display all the signs of too lean......
this all lead me to believe to go richer on the main jets. i follow the theorie above, but it does not seem to match what i see in the bike......
any ideas?

·
Registered
8,694 Posts
If your jetting needs to be more rich, then it does..My point was only to say larger bore does not usually need to be more rich. Still, carbs need what they need.....

On a carb it is entirely possible to have the air screws adjusted to override the idle circuit.

Your using older carbs, with an air screw, right?

Main jet wont really even be in use at 1200 rpm. You have to find a way to get the ones in the throat set to @1.5 out.....THEN you'll see the idle circuit take over. These air screws have to be correct, or close. Odds are, 3 out is not right. This screw is used as a way to...ok, lets call it letting enough air leak in to match your pilot jets. When thsi match is off, it becomes the idle circuit.

Theree turns out is a lot of air. Ideally, this should end up at 1.5 out. That circuit fine tunes your pilot jets.

If you cant do that, find smaller pilot jets. Thats pretty much whats in use at idle.

Dont attack all circuits at the same time. Think low-mid then top. Consider marking your throttle with tape just so you'll match up properly.

Heres a pretty good article. I know, four carbs vs 1...same idea. You dont want to be thinking "main jet" and tuning there, at idle.

Overview: Jetting 101 | All-OffRoad.com

Move to Utah and we'll fight this together. I always had this love/hate relationship with jetting. It sucks, but when its right, it completes the bike.

·
Registered
335 Posts
Discussion Starter · #178 ·
We are down the road yet another couple of weeks. The oil usage source was found. Oil was leaking past the pistons up due to scratching that had happened in the first few minutes of the bikes life. (There was an oil pressure issue at the initial start up). I've taken the cylinders off and discussed the options with the Mechanic. He did some measuring and we decided to fit New rings and hone the scratches out (there is still room before we hit the tolerance limits.) Sunday afternoon the engine got started for the first time and tonight the first run on the open road. Fingers crossed!!

·
Registered
5,427 Posts
Now it's an 810.08 :)

·
Registered
8,694 Posts
That oil may have been manipulation jetting...

That idle issue, though....Thats more likely the pilot jet circuit involved there. Mains, at that rpm range, wont change a thing.

161 - 180 of 190 Posts